Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crankwalk on new engine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankwalk on new engine

About two weeks ago I built my motor, everything I installed on it was brand new. A week passed and it started giving me problems, the car would shut down when I pressed the clutch, I at first thought that it was the tuning, but then I took the motor out and found out it was crankwalk. One of my thrust bearings( the one on the side of crank pulley) was pulverized and the other one fell off (clutch side). i think something keep the crank pulled to that side.. then i think is the clutch..

Does anyone know what could of caused this that soon? The motor had only 50 miles on it without boost and was driven normally. The rod and main bearings were scratched due to contaminated oil, but they where not burnt so there was good oil lubrication.

Can the clutch, Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder cause this? I want to know because Im about to put in a new motor and I dont want the same thing to happen to this one. Any input will be helpful!

wiseco pistons
manley rods
acl beargins
kelford 272 cams

ACT CLUTCH
Steel Clutch Line

Brad Penn 20W50

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sideck; Jul 12, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Well not to sound like a dick but thats not crankwalk that sounds to me like a bearing that didn't seat very well. Alot of people like to blame crankwalk on everything speically in the dsm world on 7 bolt motors but fact of the matter is 97% of the idiots that think its crankwalk (in the dsm world) is mostly due to the fact they ****ed something up and its actually a clutch issue. Your situation doesnt sound like crank walk cause well for one the bearing got thrown out of the main itself. That tells me that you prob had it out a tad bit or tollerences werent correct or hell lets throw in mains were to tight. I wasnt there when you built your motor so honestly Idk what happened but it sounds to me like there was a problem with not seating correctly or overtightened causeing it to do damage. Did you plastie guage the mains to the crank and check all the tollerences before you put it back together?

Last edited by CurseDSM; Jul 12, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Well not to sound like a dick but thats not crankwalk that sounds to me like a bearing that didn't seat very well. Alot of people like to blame crankwalk on everything speically in the dsm world on 7 bolt motors but fact of the matter is 97% of the idiots that think its crankwalk (in the dsm world) is mostly due to the fact they ****ed something up and its actually a clutch issue. Your situation doesnt sound like crank walk cause well for one the bearing got thrown out of the main itself. That tells me that you prob had it out a tad bit or tollerences werent correct or hell lets throw in mains were to tight. I wasnt there when you built your motor so honestly Idk what happened but it sounds to me like there was a problem with not seating correctly or overtightened causeing it to do damage. Did you plastie guage the mains to the crank and check all the tollerences before you put it back together?

thanks for your help... i sent the block to build to reputable shop here... also the builder is a good builder (awork for a SD university teaching blue printing to engines)

i back the block to the builder and he told me is not a build error, i don't know how can i prove to the builder is a builder error or not...i just want to check all options before blame to the builder...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Well that is great to know and honestly his work should be second to none. But thing is here lets be realistic parts just done go bad unless there is something wrong with them. Maybe it was a faulty bearing, maybe when the block was machined they didn't clean the block out good enough and maybe one of the oil gallys had crap in it. I mean millions of things could have gone wrong. I can honestly say I have seen plenty of high power evo's with built blocks and stockblocks with no issues, but it does sound to me like something wasn't right. I would ask him what the plastie guage specs he used were. If he says it doesn't need to be plastie guaged well then theres your issue. If you have a shop manual or online cd it should tell you what all clearences are and what the specs should be. I would have to check but I believe thats in there too someone please correct me if I am wrong. Funny story out where I live I have a buddy who his dad builds high end and I mean high end v8 motors and another buddy of mine had his dad build a 4g63 for his talon and to make a long story short some things werent checked and boom the motor goes up. I forget what actualy happened, but thing is this guy is well known for building race motors and very high end stuff and he screwed up. I would take it back to them and ask them what do you think is wrong. Bearings just dont go bad like that ya know.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well that is great to know and honestly his work should be second to none. But thing is here lets be realistic parts just done go bad unless there is something wrong with them. Maybe it was a faulty bearing, maybe when the block was machined they didn't clean the block out good enough and maybe one of the oil gallys had crap in it. I mean millions of things could have gone wrong. I can honestly say I have seen plenty of high power evo's with built blocks and stockblocks with no issues, but it does sound to me like something wasn't right. I would ask him what the plastie guage specs he used were. If he says it doesn't need to be plastie guaged well then theres your issue. If you have a shop manual or online cd it should tell you what all clearences are and what the specs should be. I would have to check but I believe thats in there too someone please correct me if I am wrong. Funny story out where I live I have a buddy who his dad builds high end and I mean high end v8 motors and another buddy of mine had his dad build a 4g63 for his talon and to make a long story short some things werent checked and boom the motor goes up. I forget what actualy happened, but thing is this guy is well known for building race motors and very high end stuff and he screwed up. I would take it back to them and ask them what do you think is wrong. Bearings just dont go bad like that ya know.
im going to talk with the builder tomorrow, he never use a plastigauge, just micrometers, dial gauges, etc..... but then you don't think any other external part can cause this problem???
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the thrust bearing on the clutch side fell out, causing the pulley side to be pounded.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 1d10t
Sounds like the thrust bearing on the clutch side fell out, causing the pulley side to be pounded.
Thank you for that because I know thats what happens with the dsm 7 bolt but I had a brain fart and couldn't remember what exactly happened. Clutch failure causes something to do this and that and bearings fail. Thanks for that mang
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for that because I know thats what happens with the dsm 7 bolt but I had a brain fart and couldn't remember what exactly happened. Clutch failure causes something to do this and that and bearings fail. Thanks for that mang

what kind of clutch failures????... this is no cheap to happen again.. lol...i have experiencie with cars but is the first time with crankwalk... but the big problem is this:

is my wife's evo... lol... im going to sleep on the couch all year....no dinner, no sex, no beers lol....
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:14 PM

Talking

Did your builder say what he thought was the cause.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smilely
Did your builder say what he thought was the cause.

i take the block today to the machine shop.. he think was the clutch making pressure all time but he going to inspect everything tomorrow and going to call me..any way, i have another build engine here (my own engine) same specs (just turbo tuff rods)..

im going to install that block tomorrow then im looking for some opinions on this problem to eliminate external problems.. i don't want another problem like this...

also im going to check all clearances on the other block, same builder on this block... like i said before that guy is a good builder... but any person can do a mistake... just i want to eliminate another possible problem....
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:31 PM

Did he put complete motor together or just short block?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sideck
About two weeks ago I built my motor, everything I installed on it was brand new. A week passed and it started giving me problems, the car would shut down when I pressed the clutch, I at first thought that it was the tuning, but then I took the motor out and found out it was crankwalk. One of my thrust bearings( the one on the side of crank pulley) was pulverized and the other one fell off (clutch side). i think something keep the crank pulled to that side.. then i think is the clutch..

Does anyone know what could of caused this that soon? The motor had only 50 miles on it without boost and was driven normally. The rod and main bearings were scratched due to contaminated oil, but they where not burnt so there was good oil lubrication.

Can the clutch, Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder cause this? I want to know because Im about to put in a new motor and I dont want the same thing to happen to this one. Any input will be helpful!

wiseco pistons
manley rods
acl beargins
kelford 272 cams

ACT CLUTCH
Steel Clutch Line

Brad Penn 20W50

Thanks in advance!
The ACT is a PULL-TYPE clutch so crankwalk is very difficult to produce. You usually only see it on push type clutches like tilton, quartermaster etc with hydraulic bearing. Maybe he turned the crank before he put the girdle on and it pulled out one of the thrusts and didn't notice.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smilely
Did he put complete motor together or just short block?
just the short block... i installed everything else...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gkania
The ACT is a PULL-TYPE clutch so crankwalk is very difficult to produce. You usually only see it on push type clutches like tilton, quartermaster etc with hydraulic bearing. Maybe he turned the crank before he put the girdle on and it pulled out one of the thrusts and didn't notice.
the problem is he never going to accept something like that...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
for an engine to crankwalk that fast is clearly a build mistake. easy for the mechanic to say it wasnt his fault. how you gonna prove he is wrong?

find a better engine builder.

Quick Reply: Crankwalk on new engine