Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam swap and timing belt questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cam swap and timing belt questions

Ok, Within the next week or two, I plan on swapping out my cams, gears and doing the timing belt. Question I have is, what other parts NEED to be changed with the t-belt?? I am getting conflicting reports upon my searches. Some say all that needs to be changed are the belt and hydraulic tensioner along with the balance shaft belt and thats it.. Do all the idler bearings and such need to be changed also or is that not necessary ? My car has 61,000 miles. Thanks !
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Its customary to replace the belts, waterpump, tensioner, and all the pullies all at once. The reason for this is that if your waterpump goes out, youre going to have to take everything apart again to get to it.

Most vendors sell a timing belt kit that has all the parts necessary for replacement.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
Its customary to replace the belts, waterpump, tensioner, and all the pullies all at once. The reason for this is that if your waterpump goes out, youre going to have to take everything apart again to get to it.

Most vendors sell a timing belt kit that has all the parts necessary for replacement.
I already have the belts and am trying to figure what else I need to purchase.
I believe in the " if it aint broke, don't fix it theory" Considering I just cracked the 60K mark, I'm not changing the water pump. If I get another 20K out of it, it aint a big deal for me to take it apart and replace at that time. Ofcourse I know the chance is there that it takes a dump right after...lol

Has anyone replaced just the belts and hydro tensioner and have not had a problem?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I all depends on whether those other parts will last another 60K. Standby while I look into the future..........
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I all depends on whether those other parts will last another 60K. Standby while I look into the future..........

I am well aware that any part can fail at any given time. Perhaps I should ask, What is the expected lifespan of those other parts ? When a shop or a dealer does a 60K service, Do they change all those other parts or just the belts ,etc. ?? Maybe some people have money to throw around at will and just replace everything but I don't and don't see the need to replace perfectly fine parts for no reason. Again, I heard conflicting reports on what to change and just want to find out from people here what they do?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.maperformance.com/map-tim...p-tbk-evo.html . that is what you need
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Your kidding right If you do not have the money to properly maintenance your EVO you should look into selling it for something you can afford.

Yes replace all parts in the timing kit PERIOD
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

personally, id go with the OEM stuff as its the best timing parts IMO, http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=652
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah you def want to replace it all. Better safe then sorry, if I had mods that were going in and didn't have enough for maintenance I'd sell the mods. Maintenance before mods.

I went with this Evo 8 kit. http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=652
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by FX11
personally, id go with the OEM stuff as its the best timing parts IMO, http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=652
I used to run only OEM Mitsubishi everything on my DSM's (I've had several) when it came to timing componentry and when I'm ready to do the belt on the Evo I prob. will use all mitsu stuff again, BUT I bought a Gates timing kit for my Eclipse this time and I gotta tell you its quality stuff, the belt looked just as good if not better then a stock Mistu belt, and the idlers did as well, I didnt use the balance belt and idler cause the Balance shafts are long gone, all i can say is don't be afraid of some of the aftermarket stuff out there.

As far as what should be done when doing a timing belt, BOTH belts should be done because if the balance shaft belt isnt done, the balance belt can break and go into path of the main belt and break it, and then you will be in a world of Sh&t, and if it doesn't do that (consider yourself very lucky) it will make crazy noise and vibration. the Hydraulic tensioner also should def done as well as all three rollers (balance shaft, the tensioner with the two holes, and the idler itself). The water pump should be done also because in the event of a failure not only do you have to take it all apart to get to it but coolant can contaminate the belts and then you will have to replace them again, not only that but it makes a mess. ALSO don't overlook the seals (cam, crank,and balance shaft) oil can also ruin a belt, if your not going to replace them I would at least give them a good look and make sure you have no leaks.

I know all these parts are pricey, but so is a valve job and/or and engine. Seen many a dead DSM because of people not doing necessary stuff to keep them running. I have seen peeps replace just the belt(s) and the tensioner and be fine but, I'm a big fan of fix it right the first time. Preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Last edited by Coney Warrior; Jul 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Incoming message from the future: Moving parts will fail.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
Incoming message from the future: Moving parts will fail.
Agreed 1000%
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

I am about to do my 60k service next week and so far this is the list of components that I'm changing, I'm including part numbers just in case you have to order something would be easier

MD352473 balance belt tensioner pulley
MR984375 timing belt hydraulic tensioner
MD369999 timing belt tensioner pulley
MIT-1300A065 water pump - gasket/O-ring
MD326059 timing belt
MR984778 balance belt
MD156604 timing belt idler pulley
12getdrunk 24 pack of corona (optional)

Good luck.

Last edited by diablo1; Jul 19, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by diablo1
I am about to do my 60k service next week and so far this is the list of components that I'm changing, I'm including part numbers just in case you have to order something would be easier

MD352473 balance belt tensioner pulley
MR984375 timing belt hydraulic tensioner
MD369999 timing belt tensioner pulley
MIT-1300A065 water pump gasket/O-ring
MD326059 timing belt
MR984778 balance belt
MD156604 timing belt idler pulley
12getdrunk 24 pack of corona (optional)

Good luck.
Your not doing the water pump, just the gasket??
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Coney Warrior
Your not doing the water pump, just the gasket??
Water pump comes in a kit with gasket and O-Ring

Quick Reply: Cam swap and timing belt questions