Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad luck with FP turbos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called FP and they told me to try some things before sending it back in. So I am rerouting the pvc line from the manifold to a catch can and back to the the intake like they told me. Then I am going to make sure the return line is sealed correctly. And for the sake of trying everything I even bought some stop leak oil stuff to help reseal the valves although Im pretty sure its not an issue since I did a compression and leak test before and they came back good.

I just dont understand why this happened on the two fp turbos and not the stock one. We will see Ill keep the thread updated.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rodent
What oil were using?
mobil 1 10w-30
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by def1
mobil 1 10w-30
^^^ There's your problem.

Read:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf
So for the cliffs notes crowd out there, here is the summary: Do not use Mobil1 10w30 or any other “on
highway” GF-4 oil in your 4G63 motor with any FP high output stock appearing turbo. Use a suitable racing oil
designed for high film strength and heavy pressure loading such as Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, Valvoline VR1, Amsoil
Racing oil or Royal Purple racing oil. Also remember that racing oils are detergent free and need to be changed
frequently.

Last edited by rodent; Jul 21, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White is coolant dark gray or black is fuel and blue is oil. What kind of boost are u running on the green compared to the stocker?? Have you pulled the plugs and inspected them??
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

The Oil is the problem!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we all have problems from time to time-

HKS, CBRD, FP, Garrett- all of us-

some can be manufacturing flaws (we are all human).. and sometimes user installation-

cb
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Catering oil to the turbo instead of the engine boggles my mind.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Catering oil to the turbo instead of the engine boggles my mind.
Nice one
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The required oil list is only for the Red and Black turbos because of the steel on steel thrust bearing. The green uses a brass bearing I believe and should not require the special high zinc and phos content in the oil.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Some blends of Mobil 1 have gone down hill since the GF-4 spec has come out. Not all Mobil 1 oils are bad. I still use Mobil 1 0w-40 in my daily and 15w-50 in my Evo since its not GF-4 and has higher zinc levels. Why would you want to use an oil that can't protect your turbo in your engine??? There's been huge threads on this oil topic and its already been beaten to death.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...selection.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...about-oil.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nal-turbo.html

FP never mentions to run those oils only in Red and Black. They state:
"Do not use Mobil1 10w30 or any other “on highway” GF-4 oil in your 4G63 motor with any FP high output stock appearing turbo."
I would assume this would include the Green. Can someone call FP to verify this?

Last edited by rodent; Jul 21, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added 3rd link
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by def1
I called FP and they told me to try some things before sending it back in. So I am rerouting the pvc line from the manifold to a catch can and back to the the intake like they told me. Then I am going to make sure the return line is sealed correctly. And for the sake of trying everything I even bought some stop leak oil stuff to help reseal the valves although Im pretty sure its not an issue since I did a compression and leak test before and they came back good.

I just dont understand why this happened on the two fp turbos and not the stock one. We will see Ill keep the thread updated.
I had this same issue with my Holset. Crankcase pressure can get higher than the seals on some turbos can handle. The seals are mainly meant to fling oil away. It doesn't really "seal" it just pushes oil away to prevent a leak. If there is excess crankcase pressure it can compress the oil system to a level the seal can't handle. It also can't drain fast enough and as a result it forces out past the "seals" and into the compressor and or turbine. The OEM seals likely can handle a bit more pressure and that may be why it isn't smoking on the stock turbo. I would do a compression check as well to be safe if you haven't recently. High crankcase pressure can be an indicator of bad rings. In my case a restrictor was needed for the turbo (Holsets require lower oil pressure) but a catch can would work better for the FP.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
Some blends of Mobil 1 have gone down hill since the GF-4 spec has come out. Not all Mobil 1 oils are bad. I still use Mobil 1 0w-40 in my daily and 15w-50 in my Evo since its not GF-4 and has higher zinc levels. Why would you want to use an oil that can't protect your turbo in your engine??? There's been huge threads on this oil topic and its already been beaten to death.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...selection.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...about-oil.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nal-turbo.html

FP never mentions to run those oils only in Red and Black. They state:
"Do not use Mobil1 10w30 or any other “on highway” GF-4 oil in your 4G63 motor with any FP high output stock appearing turbo."
I would assume this would include the Green. Can someone call FP to verify this?
In the first post/link that you posted it talks about the steel on steel bearing. That bearing is only in the FP Red and Black turbos not the HTA FP Green. The second link that is quoted above is "attention FP Red and Black users..."

When you go to the Forced Performance online store the HTA FP Green does not mention anything about the upgraded oil line or the oil list on its product page. The Fp Red and Black both say that an upgraded line and recommended oils are required to retain warranty of the product.

Last edited by mt057; Jul 21, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
remember guys ZDDP ( Zinc and Phos ) is not only beneficial to FP turbos with similar metal designs but also to your engine, and specially your top end of the engine, cam lobes, lifters, rockers ect... ZDDP is hands down best antiwear additive yet in the market.
DOnt get less than 1000 for your engine or less than 1350 for the FP turbos
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

So do you guys think I should try some new oil? Or is it not worth it?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

well it couldve been oil choice, i know its good for stock turbos but u need some better oil with a bigger turbo. Ive been running valvoline vr1 20w50 so far about 10k, but ive got 30k and counting on my fpred, although im only pump gas all the time maybe that makes a difference?, ran royal purple for a while, **** was nasty, did the mobil1 for a while. i dunno

Quick Reply: Bad luck with FP turbos