Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad luck with FP turbos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im searching for turbo as well, called my friend who is building race/rally dsm/evos for years and he told me same thing bout stock shaft and big/heavy wheels, he said fp red/green is good to show numbers on dyno but when you take it harder on track it is gonna be guaranteed failure, he s building evos for rally america now and says that HKS is the only way to go
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well its definitely the turbo. I took the intake off and the compressor blade was full of oil. So back to FP it goes, I really hope they don't give me any trouble and can get it done quickly.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by def1
So do you guys think I should try some new oil? Or is it not worth it?
valvoline vr 1 10w - 30 all day on my fpred !!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well its definitely the turbo. I took the intake off and the compressor blade was full of oil. So back to FP it goes, I really hope they don't give me any trouble and can get it done quickly.
oil on the compressor is more likely crankcase/pcv venting issue. if the turbine wheel was soaked in oil, then yes it would be the turbo.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
oil on the compressor is more likely crankcase/pcv venting issue. if the turbine wheel was soaked in oil, then yes it would be the turbo.
Its pretty bad. The inside of my intake was pretty full of oil. and I didn't have the catch can connected to the intake so it couldn't be from that.

How else can I check if its the crankcase pressure? I'd much rather it be that than have to take the whole turbo off again.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

def1: So, maybe I missed it but, did you check the shaft for axial play?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Its pretty bad. The inside of my intake was pretty full of oil. and I didn't have the catch can connected to the intake so it couldn't be from that.

How else can I check if its the crankcase pressure? I'd much rather it be that than have to take the whole turbo off again.
how is your catch can and pvc hooked up and routed?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ What this guy said... so u know man the pcv on back of valve cover is only for low rpms, but when wot that valve closes, and the vapors from valve cover go through the fitting by cam sensor into the intake, so unless your running a breather filter or catch can to catch those vapors, those will eventually gunk up your intake pipe if your just running the stock hose recirculated. Mine got somewhat gunked up on a new aem intake within 10k. and im running a cusco catch can, but the catch can dont fill up though. So pull your licp off too cuz that more then likely will be filled with vapor crap, clean that out, if possible disconnect both icps off your front mount, and then spray into it with some water then use compressed air to blow out as much water as you can, your car will prolly run a lot better once you do that, cuz the heat the oil vapor creates in the intake pipe, unofficially will make your car run more ****ty.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

what if mine pcv are just opened to atmosphere??
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
how is your catch can and pvc hooked up and routed?
I have a line going from the nipple by the cam sensor to a fuel filter Im using as the catch can and routing the other end back to the intake to create vacuum. And there is absolutely no oil in the catch can at all. Its see through so I'd be able to see if any was getting in at all.

The PVC I still have hooked up to the intake manifold.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
^^^ What this guy said... so u know man the pcv on back of valve cover is only for low rpms, but when wot that valve closes, and the vapors from valve cover go through the fitting by cam sensor into the intake, so unless your running a breather filter or catch can to catch those vapors, those will eventually gunk up your intake pipe if your just running the stock hose recirculated. Mine got somewhat gunked up on a new aem intake within 10k. and im running a cusco catch can, but the catch can dont fill up though. So pull your licp off too cuz that more then likely will be filled with vapor crap, clean that out, if possible disconnect both icps off your front mount, and then spray into it with some water then use compressed air to blow out as much water as you can, your car will prolly run a lot better once you do that, cuz the heat the oil vapor creates in the intake pipe, unofficially will make your car run more ****ty.
I dont have the PVC routed to a catch can, but the one by the cam sensor I do. Before I just had it connected to a breather filter so there wouldn't be anyway that oil would be going into the intake.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

I have a line going from the nipple by the cam sensor to a fuel filter Im using as the catch can and routing the other end back to the intake to create vacuum. And there is absolutely no oil in the catch can at all. Its see through so I'd be able to see if any was getting in at all.

The PVC I still have hooked up to the intake manifold.
i would temporarily vent both lines to atmosphere and cap the nipple on the intake manifold and intake hose then try it again. its rare for the compressor side seal to leak.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:18 PM

Sounds like you need to switch to a turbo upgrade from someone other then fp....
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Have you actually tried the vents yet? It'll only take a half hour or so to check. I really think that's your problem and if it is you may have bigger issues than just a turbo. Unplug the PVC hose from the manifold and plug the nipple on the intake then vent the valve cover hose to the atmosphere, again capping off the nipple on the intake. At the very least it will answer one question and give you a path to follow instead of going blindly through. I also HIGHLY recommend doing a compression test. Again, it's very simple to do and inexpensive for a tester. If you can change spark plugs, you can do a test. Pull the plugs, unplug the cam angle sensor, screw the compression tester in and crank the engine 6-7 times for each cylinder.

Last edited by colonelfox; Jul 23, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

by vent to atmosphere do you mean just plug the lines to the PVC and cam sensor side and leave them not connected to anything?

Quick Reply: Bad luck with FP turbos