Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo manifold leak??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo manifold leak??

My car is sounding like a diesel or when you stick your tongue out and blow air. It sounds like the turbo manifold gasket to the head but im not 100% sure, is there a way to pin point the problem. Im afraid to drive it, but on the way home from the neighborhood cruise it was still making boost. Could this be spark plugs? or O2 housing leak? Is it safe to drive? help please! I ordered Turbo manifold to head, to turbo, and O2 housing gasket hoping this is the problem.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:22 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evoo8899
My car is sounding like a diesel or when you stick your tongue out and blow air. It sounds like the turbo manifold gasket to the head but im not 100% sure, is there a way to pin point the problem. Im afraid to drive it, but on the way home from the neighborhood cruise it was still making boost. Could this be spark plugs? or O2 housing leak? Is it safe to drive? help please! I ordered Turbo manifold to head, to turbo, and O2 housing gasket hoping this is the problem.
Look for cracks in your exhaust as well. I am assuming you have a stock turbo, but my aftermarket one came loose between the turbo and O2 housing. Well actually it fell completely off hah. It defiinitely sounded like a tractor at that point.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its still making boost properly like before then i highly doubt its any of the gaskets pre turbo. trust me i had a small exhaust leak from a cracked manifold and i couldnt hit full boost until almost redline. it very well could be the 02 housing to turbo or the downpipe gaskets since they are after the turbo. does the sound stay the same throught out the rpms? or does it get louder? what part of TN are you in i could possibly drive over and help you pinpoint the problem if the gaskets do not fix it.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really, start your car, stick your hand down, in and arround the associated gaskets and wait to get burned-- you'll know it when hot gasses hit your hand. It works, you found your leak.