Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning: Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail ***DO NOT BUY***

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dude
Curt I'm probably guessing you're on an aftermarket Intake Manifold that may not have throttle linkage issues. I also understand they sponsor you. I paid $210 for a part that didn't fit, which ticks me off. If I was given something that doesn't fit, I wouldn't be nearly as upset since I didn't part with any of my hard earned cash.

Like I said earlier, I had no issues getting creative with the spacers and making it work, nor notching the FPR bolt holes, it was the interference with the throttle linkage that sent me over the edge.

I'm amazed a company would spend the time, money and effort to make what could be an excellent product, yet neglect something so simple as a test fit before giving it the OK for production. I mean, if you're going to go through all that effort, why not make something good instead of something that's **** poor?
Im using there manifold and TB also, they cut me a great deal on the three paerts as a package so I did pay something for it, damn near every aftermarket part out there needs a small tweek here and there and never really bothers me. I did make my own spacers, took five minutes or so with a piece of aluminum bar stock, overall im happy with the parts and would never take them off the car at this point as I find most others vastly inferior in actual performance.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up. Skunks do stink though, right?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FedEvo8
Good write up. Skunks do stink though, right?
Im sure if the composite rail caught fire it would smell like hell
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
call them up. tell them it does not fit. seee what they say
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
He did....

I also use an AMS rail, and it fit perfect.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
He did....

I also use an AMS rail, and it fit perfect.
is the AMS rail composite?

id like to run a composite one too. but i am not buying a pos from skunk if there not going to revamp the problems
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
I called them to try and resolve it before posting any of this. I'm not the type to just come on the forums and bash a product without giving the mfr a fair shake at resolving it first.

I asked them for either a) a revised rail that actually fits or b) a refund.

They offered me an exchange for the exact same product (why anyone would do that is beyond me) or to take it back to the vendor I bought it from and try to get a refund. By this time I was well outside the 14 day return period as set by the vendor. I can understand that for buyer remorse, or changing your mind, but for a product that just doesn't fit as advertised, well I think I should have been offered a full refund.

So since I'm left with a brick, I figured I'd post here to prevent anyone else from buying another brick. I will try and sell it in the for sale forum to recoup some of my losses, but I will be sure to mention that I don't guarantee the fitment by any means and that it might be best for folks with aftermarket intake manifolds that relocate the mounting/position of the throttle linkage and butterfly.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with you on this. People need to stop defending crappy, ill fitting products. They will never improve if people are content with the junk these companies are selling.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I owned a few Honda items back in the day. They fit ok I suppose nothing great.
Junk2 FTL.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having to make your own spacers is utterly ridiculous. This should be sold as a DIY product, not a product for an evo8/9.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

As it is on my car the fit is very rigid, 100% perfect, I have no affiliation with them but find all other fuel rails rather inferior due to less flow and heat transfer, a five year old with a couple of hand tools can make it work just fine in a half hour.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^im with the op on this one. Sure a five year old with hand tools can make it work, so how come a multi million dollar company can't get the s**t right to begin with? I bought one of their manifolds for my honda and had major problems. The bolt holes were off so I thought hmmm ill just widen them and make them work. Took maybe ten minuts no big deal. Test fit it perfect, however when I put on the hondata intake manifold gasket the manifold flange was too thick for the nuts to even go on the studs so im having to have it machined down. That's money wasted on getting a part to work when it should have out of the box.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

I fully understand people's frustration with an ill fitting product, but sometimes you got to make do with what it is to reach the ultimately best part for the job. I guess I look at the EVO more as a hobby and a challenge and don't mind a tweak here or there.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

There's a reason why they're nicknamed Junk2. Stuff is about as garbage as anything from Megan.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think most will agree that with modding a car there is an understanding that some amount of work will be required to install aftermarket modifications, especially if one installs a component on equipment that is also aftermarket, ie an aftermarket fuel rail on an aftermarket intake manifold attached to an aftermarket head.

However, most people will agree that a single component designed to replace an OEM part should fit perfect. After all isn't that what the end user is paying for??? Sure I could take it to a machine shop, pay some more money and make it work. But that's not why I bought it in the first place. Part of the money spent on an aftermarket part assumes the manufacturer has adequate quality control processes in place to ensure that when a consumer buys something, it fits.

Curt, machining bar stock is a little bit more than the average joe can do in his own garage. Most people don't own a lathe, mill or press to do custom fab work. Heck, if I did I could probably order a billet piece of composite material and make my own fuel rail. Matter of fact, if I did, it sure would fit better than the piece I bought from Junk2.

Quick Reply: Warning: Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail ***DO NOT BUY***