Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning: Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail ***DO NOT BUY***

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Migsubishi
Don't be upset with me because you don't have what it takes to make stuff work. Life isn't perfect yet your still living it... Not everything can be perfect but we do what we do to get by... I guess you lived the silver spoon life so I understand your frustration...

Not going to enter a pissing contest with you, so do as you will, I just happy to have the know how that have... Good night man.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
I agree, grown men crying about a little work makes me laugh too At least we agree on something...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
I agree, grown men crying about a little work makes me laugh too At least we agree on something...
no, ill just buy one of the many other fuel rails that actually fit. i dont reward poor quality with my money.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
no, ill just buy one of the many other fuel rails that actually fit. i dont reward poor quality with my money.
agree.

with all the options available these company's should make there products work and fit like OEM. because when it does not fit then ill go buy a part that does the same thing and FITS.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Seems like they may have just missed a pretty simple issue on an added feature, which unfortunately makes it not fit. It probably fits perfectly fine on their manifold and TB setup, which they likely designed it around. They do advertise that it works with the factory fuel system. They never really say anything about the manifold and TB though...

For everybody bad mouthing Skunk2...
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/640/How-We-...Design-and-RD/

They at least have the equipment to be VERY capable.

I'm with a few others on here, if it takes a little work to make something fit that has a ton more potential then anything else out there, I'll still buy it. I got no problem cutting, grinding and just getting creative some times. Everything I build I can almost guarantee wouldn't fit that well on any other car, but I know that any compromises on fit and finish I made building it were done to get as much performance out of it as I thought I possibly could.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, update. Joe from Skunk2 had fedex pick up the fuel rail and have it returned to Skunk2 in California. I've still not gotten a refund, but he has assured me that I will receive a full refund, and not be hit with a restocking fee. So, right now I'm waiting on the vendor to refund me for the purchase price. I will say that throughout this process he has maintained excellent communication and kept me updated.

Migsubishi, I'm guessing you have an aftermarket intake manifold. I also realize that modding cars will require some amount of fabrication and or clearancing. Like I said in my original post, I had no problem widening the FPR mounting bracket, and I had no problem cutting the lips off the factory injector mount spacers, but even after all that, it would still interfere with the throttle cable. To me, that's not an acceptable level of making something work, it's a part that does not fit. Now if I had the Skunk2 manifold as well, and after widening the FRP slots and machining the spacers, it fit, then I wouldn't have come on here and complained it didn't work. But the bottom line is I have a factory IM, and the Skunk2 rail was advertised as a direct fitment, and it's not, therefore, I thought that the rest of evom.net should be aware of this fact.

I replaced the Skunk2 with an AMS fuel rail that fit, well, like stock. No issues, no clearance problems, no rubbing, it just fit. This is what I would expect of such a simple part, as it is, after all essentially a hollow tube with some holes in it. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that I'm not able to run the Skunk2 fuel rail, as I think in theory it could be a beneficial product. It has a larger ID than most fuel rails, and the composite materials higher thermal conductivity could act to keep fuel temperature lower than alloy rails. From an engineering aspect, the thermal resistance of the rail material could set it apart from competitors that only offer increased flow from larger ID rails. Unfortunately, I won't know, and Joe at Skunk2 has not mentioned anything to me about a redesign to work with the factory intake manifold.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Seems like they may have just missed a pretty simple issue on an added feature, which unfortunately makes it not fit. It probably fits perfectly fine on their manifold and TB setup, which they likely designed it around. They do advertise that it works with the factory fuel system. They never really say anything about the manifold and TB though...

For everybody bad mouthing Skunk2...
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/640/How-We-...Design-and-RD/

They at least have the equipment to be VERY capable.

I'm with a few others on here, if it takes a little work to make something fit that has a ton more potential then anything else out there, I'll still buy it. I got no problem cutting, grinding and just getting creative some times. Everything I build I can almost guarantee wouldn't fit that well on any other car, but I know that any compromises on fit and finish I made building it were done to get as much performance out of it as I thought I possibly could.
They've definitely got some good equipment. My thought is that they just haven't put in the level of effort on the CT9A platform that they have for the Honda platform. Or maybe the notion of "compatible" has a different meaning in the Honda world. Other companies, big and small, with the right attitude show that truly compatible aftermarket parts can be done, or at least their level of compatibility is explained up front. I was giving serious consideration to both the Skunk2 fuel rail and intake manifold, but after reading about the actual compatiblity of the fuel rail in this thread and the IM in other threads (along with brass fittings blowing out of the IM at high boost), I moved on.

Last edited by mrfred; Aug 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with letting the community know what you found as it is frustrating to buy something that doesn't work and you not know that it won't work. It would also be ideal if the part just fit in the first place, obviously.

But the Skunk2 rail offers a lot of advantages over most of its competitors:
Low thermal conductivity
Radius inlets on injectors
large bore/volume
1-piece (no welds to break or hardware to vibrate out)
AN fittings And Stock Rail fittings
Additional Inlet/outlet/pressure tap options
Lightweight
Chemical Resistance to all fuels (not sure why the original poster used *supposedly* as it hasn't been proven to not be resistant to E85 and most plastics are fine with E85)

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its sounds like the OP tried to get it to fit, but even after doing the necessary mods to make it fit on an aftermarket intake manifold, it still wont fit the stock oem manifold (hits the throttle body cable).

I agree it is a nice rail but what else can be done to make it fit the OEM manifold?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

My memory of this thread got buried among all the other crap in my head, and I ordered the Skunk2 fuel rail. Arrived today, and probably to nobody's surprise, it still has the exact same flawed design with no recess for the spacers, and the pressure port is in the way of the throttle cable. Returning it without even removing it from its package...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh jeez, forgot all about the skunk2 rail...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awdordie
^im with the op on this one. Sure a five year old with hand tools can make it work, so how come a multi million dollar company can't get the s**t right to begin with? I bought one of their manifolds for my honda and had major problems. The bolt holes were off so I thought hmmm ill just widen them and make them work. Took maybe ten minuts no big deal. Test fit it perfect, however when I put on the hondata intake manifold gasket the manifold flange was too thick for the nuts to even go on the studs so im having to have it machined down. That's money wasted on getting a part to work when it should have out of the box.
Ever heard of extended studs that you can buy at your local ACE? I had to do the same **** on my Gsr with a hondata gasket.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its on my "Do not Buy List" , and i just added it to the "Do not Install on a Clients Car" cause ill have to put an extra Effort to make it work
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Hrm... I did pick up a STM ported Skunk 2 manifold, they said it was the best power making manifold they had their hands on. Needs work from the box though! no suprise there. And I used the stock rail with stock spacers I may have had to file one but wtfe!

STM also puts 1/8 npt in all fitting bosses

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Nov 3, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Hrm... I did pick up a STM ported Skunk 2 manifold, they said it was the best power making manifold they had their hands on. Needs work from the box though! no suprise there. And I used the stock rail with stock spacers I may have had to file one but wtfe!

STM also puts 1/8 npt in all fitting bosses
We're talking about the fuel rail. Some minor issues with getting the manifold installes, but not a show stopper like using the rail with the factory tb and im.

Quick Reply: Warning: Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail ***DO NOT BUY***