Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new Quarter Master eight leg street twin is out

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
i'd agree, who has a +500ft lb street car... crazy mo fo's thats who!
me? =)
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maperformance
Sold a few of these already, thinking of having QM make one for my STi
come on, act's actually work on sti's. had an xtss on my 540whp sti and no problems!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
What is the torque rating difference between the street and track?

Also, how much of a difference in a daily driver sense?
when i called qm today the guy was pretty vague with the torque rating. he sounded like he was giggling when he said 600 ft/lb for the street clutch.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by danameisoj
well your obviously not shifting fast enough.. lol the act are very prone to locking out at 7k in drag racing ..
I shift plenty fast, NLTS, and have never experienced lockout. When I was timing myself at the track, my shifts were .2~.3 seconds.

I still will stand with my point. 85% of the people here do not need twin discs. I actually applaud the manufacturers and vendors with their great marketing. How else can you explain selling a $2500 clutch to someone with a stock turbo? If I was running a hta86 and trying to shift at 9500rpm, that is a different story.

Last edited by BigT; Aug 8, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
come on, act's actually work on sti's. had an xtss on my 540whp sti and no problems!
Won't hold what I need it to hold. I promise you lol.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigT
I never really understood the craze of these street twin discs. My single disc ACT is rated at 500ftlbs and I have zero shifting problems even up to 8k. :shrugs: Maybe it is the lack of funds that will never allow me to purchase a twin disc, but is it really worth it? Even stock turbo guys are running twin discs.
I could sit here and explain why a low moi clutch that weighs 16 lbs. is soooooooooooooooooo much better to shift and race with but you'd have to drive one to believe it.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

I agree, nice clutches but i would never get one for a 400whp 7,500rpm setup.

Originally Posted by BigT
I shift plenty fast, NLTS, and have never experienced lockout. When I was timing myself at the track, my shifts were .2~.3 seconds.

I still will stand with my point. 85% of the people here do not need twin discs. I actually applaud the manufacturers and vendors with their great marketing. How else can you explain selling a $2500 clutch to someone with a stock turbo? If I was running a hta86 and trying to shift at 9500rpm, that is a different story.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maperformance
Won't hold what I need it to hold. I promise you lol.
you need to fill me in yo!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
I could sit here and explain why a low moi clutch that weighs 16 lbs. is soooooooooooooooooo much better to shift and race with but you'd have to drive one to believe it.
I've driven a few twin discs. Some are nice, for sure, but on a race car. The noise itself drives me nuts.

Maybe i'm just getting old.....
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How many stock turbo guys have this "$2500 clutch"... That's actually only $2000 MSRP...and there are probably only a handful actually installed at this time anyway so it seems like a false statement?

Because I have the older version QM twin on a stock turbo and I love it for what it is. But I only paid $1200 new for it with the hydraulic throwout bearing... Would I spend another $800 for this upgrade? Probably not, but at $1200 I felt it was the best clutch I've ever bought.

I can damn near treat it like a wet clutch on a bike as it doesn't give a damn about heat.
I can launch the car back to back to back if I wanted and wouldn't have to worry about turning it into kitty hair...

Punching a spring out of the hub...not going to happen.

Warping doesn't seem to be an issue where I've managed to turn an ACT pressure plate into a bowl before (1/8" out of flat...)

Oh, and it is literally the first clutch where it feels like the syncros are waiting for me instead of me forcing them to go in on a fast drag shift. A fast drag shift to me is 0.12-0.18 seconds and I can shift that fast on this clutch and it actually feels slow...

I can't say anything about the new version, as I've never driven one (obviously). But if they managed to maintain the "shiftability" of the old clutch while making it more drivable and last longer, this should be quite the clutch for anybody looking for a bad *** street clutch, regardless of turbo size. I will say that the down falls of the old QM definitely make it a “love-hate” relationship when daily driving. On a track, there is no question that it’s all love for it though.

For the race version, I like that it gets rid of the two separate hubs in favor of one hub with probably similar overall tooth engagement. I don't see too much advantage other then that though?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Well said..
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr

For the race version, I like that it gets rid of the two separate hubs in favor of one hub with probably similar overall tooth engagement. I don't see too much advantage other then that though?
The street version is identical to the race version in all respects except that for a different friction material on the discs and a heavier flywheel. So it has the same single hub as the race version.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
The street version is identical to the race version in all respects except that for a different friction material on the discs and a heavier flywheel. So it has the same single hub as the race version.
The street strip version come with the race discs and a heavier flywheel designed for very manageable street use...my review is up in the review section.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
The street strip version come with the race discs and a heavier flywheel designed for very manageable street use...my review is up in the review section.
I was told that the street version has different friction material on the discs, so the street/strip version is different than the street version?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Correct, street version has different friction material. The Street/Strip version is just the race version with the heavier flywheel.

Quick Reply: new Quarter Master eight leg street twin is out