Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Should ETS offer there IC Pipes in Aluminum?
YES!!!
48.89%
NO!!!
51.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

ETS Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always had custom made aluminum intercooler pipe. Bit I rather have stainless steel. Alumium can deform very easy from tbolt clamps
Old Aug 4, 2011, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
We will not build our piping in aluminum. The reason being is aluminum is not near as durable as stainless steel. On a daily basis I deal with customers who have purchased aluminum piping and these are the reasons I see why it's bad.

Reasons Aluminum Is Bad.
  1. Over Tightening The Clamps Results In Crushed Pipes That Are Not Fixable.
  2. They are weak, and vibrations will tear the brackets right off the pipes.

Reasons We Use Stainless Steel
  1. Durability. Piping will last longer than the car will.
  2. You can tighten the clamp down as tight as possible and you will not hurt the piping.

It's not cost, stainless steel is 4x the amount of the price of aluminum tubing. Trust me, the profit would be much greater with aluminum piping then stainless steel. So when you see companies charging more then us for piping that is made out of aluminum you know somethings not right.

We believe in selling a product at a fair price with suburb quality. If we put our name on the product and offer our life time warranty, we want the product to last a life time, not just a few years.

Piping is not the only thing we don't skimp on. The quality of intercooler cores we use are superior then the majority of the intercooler core on the market which in turn cost us a lot more money and we offer the intercoolers at the same price even though we have changed the designed which results in costing us more money. It's the end result which we are proud of. Our motivation has never been to overcharge, but charge a fair price and give you the highest quality product possible. The majority of our customers use these products on a daily basis, not just on the track.

We take these same processes into our day to day actions by hand porting each manifold, surfacing each manifold, porting the inlet and outlet of your intercooler to give it a smooth finish for that non turbulence flow.

I can go on and on about the pro's and con's but right now, stainless seems to be pretty positive

If it's weight savings your looking for we also have an affordable titanium option with a way stronger stencil strength then steel and the weight of aluminum.

Thanks!

Michael

Last edited by ETS Michael; Aug 4, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
SS only, I won't use an aluminum intercooler pipe unless its thick wall, and that is expensive. So SS it is, all the time, every time.

Did I mention SS?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have never had a problem with aluminum. is everyone tightening the clamps with an impact? they dont need to be that tight!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by maperformance
SS only, I won't use an aluminum intercooler pipe unless its thick wall, and that is expensive. So SS it is, all the time, every time.

Did I mention SS?
All Day Every Day!

Michael
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
We will not build our piping in aluminum. The reason being is aluminum is not near as durable as stainless steel. On a daily basis I deal with customers who have purchased aluminum piping and these are the reasons I see why it's bad.

Reasons Aluminum Is Bad.

Reasons We Use Stainless Steel
  1. Durability. Piping will last longer than the car will.
  2. You can tighten the clamp down as tight as possible and you will not hurt the piping.

It's not cost, stainless steel is 4x the amount of the price of aluminum tubing. Trust me, the profit would be much greater with aluminum piping then stainless steel. So when you see companies charging more then us for piping that is made out of aluminum you know somethings not right.

We believe in selling a product at a fair price with suburb quality. If we put our name on the product and offer our life time warranty, we want the product to last a life time, not just a few years.

Piping is not the only thing we don't skimp on. The quality of intercooler cores we use are superior then the majority of the intercooler core on the market which in turn cost us a lot more money and we offer the intercoolers at the same price even though we have changed the designed which results in costing us more money. It's the end result which we are proud of. Our motivation has never been to overcharge, but charge a fair price and give you the highest quality product possible. The majority of our customers use these products on a daily basis, not just on the track.

We take these same processes into our day to day actions by hand porting each manifold, surfacing each manifold, porting the inlet and outlet of your intercooler to give it a smooth finish for that non turbulence flow.

I can go on and on about the pro's and con's but right now, stainless seems to be pretty positive

If it's weight savings your looking for we also have an affordable titanium option with a way stronger stencil strength then steel and the weight of aluminum.

Thanks!

Michael
I'm curious then as to what all of the high HP Honda guys are using. They're using aluminum and either Vibrant or Wiggins clamps and they seem to be holding up. Maybe they're using a lot thicker grade of material?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha great answers... pretty much squashed the poll I think
Old Aug 4, 2011, 05:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Most of the honda guys are going aluminum because it is cheaper and most high performance clamps are made in Aluminum and not steel. When I was building hondas, I used v-band clamps and had them put in a lathe and cut o-ring channels in them. Then used stainless steel piping and ran 40psi without a problem!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pegasus
Ever seen what a t-bolt clamp can do to an aluminum pipe? Injen IC piping comes to mind. A friend of mine finally had to ditch the Injen piping after the T-bolt clamp had finally tore it up enough to where it was no longer usable. IMO, higher HP applications are better off using steel intercooler piping.
That is certainly the reason why I use SS..... although I don't have much experiene with Aluminum with beaded rolled edges.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Clampsmashhh!!!!! Rrraawwwrrrr!!!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pegasus
Ever seen what a t-bolt clamp can do to an aluminum pipe? Injen IC piping comes to mind. A friend of mine finally had to ditch the Injen piping after the T-bolt clamp had finally tore it up enough to where it was no longer usable. IMO, higher HP applications are better off using steel intercooler piping.
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Not a fan of Al IC piping so yes they should offer them but I prefer SS
Originally Posted by kiley_sean
When it comes to using T-bolts, I would rather wrench down on Steel pipes than Aluminum. JMO.

Did I mention SS?
+1

I only like SS piping. I had Nisei piping and it dented easily when tighten down the tbolt clamps.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Clampsmashhh!!!!! Rrraawwwrrrr!!!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Now buy your clutch :-P
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Now buy your clutch :-P
if you guys would stop selling me parts for my wrx i would have more money to buy evo parts.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Reasons Aluminum Is Bad.
If people are crushing aluminum piping with the clamps, maybe the best thing to do is lay down that cheater pipe...they don't require to be tightened that hard. In regards to the brackets tearing off, I've never seen one getting torn off a stock pipe. Bracket design matters alot. Most IC pipe brackets I've seen is just a straight piece of metal welded to the pipe, instead of being a formed bracket that is much sturdier.

As far as weight goes, it all adds up. Keep in mind the larger core on it's own is considerably heavier than the stock unit already, plus heavier piping...? The biggest thing is all of this is at the very front of the car! (overhang...why the RS does not have HID's...to decrease overhang weight..)

Lastly, aluminum dissapates heat faster than steal. I don't think the temp difference would be THAT much, but it's still another benefit of Alu pipes vs SS..

Just my take...

Quick Reply: ETS Intercooler