Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

LSD Clicking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSD Clicking

I recently did the 'rear differential plate rearrangement mod' outlined in the stickied thread above. I was told to expect some possible clicking noises during sharp turns, and I know this is normal for clutch type LSD's.

However, I've noticed that the diff makes no audible clicking sounds when making sharp turns going forward. When turning sharp in reverse though, it makes a fairly pronounced clicking. Since the OEM Evo diff is a 1-way unit, I realize it should only lock when force is applied by the driveshaft trying to make the diff spin in a certain direction. It would seem to me the diff can be put under 2 different sets of conditions.
A) Accelerating going forward or decelerating in reverse
B)Decelerating going forward or accelerating in reverse

If setup correctly, the OEM 1-way diff should lock only under Condition A. It would seem to me that the clicking noise should also occur under the same conditions, since this is when the plates are trying to lock. However, the clicking noise on mine happens when accelerating in reverse (while turning). Could I have possibly reinstalled the spider gears the wrong way, or flipped that whole center spider gear assembly around the wrong way while rebuilding, causing the diff to lock under condition B? They spider gears all fell out while rebuilding so I don't know if it is the same way it was when I took it out.

So if anyone has any insight about diffs or experience with clicking noises in your car, I would definitely appreciate it.

Also if some of my logic doesn't make sense...well it's late and I'm tired

Last edited by GoTopless; Aug 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you right something is backwards making you diff work in the opposite direction.

The one way only works while acceleration in one direction, forget about decel for now. The one way LSD pic shows how (forward)accel forces the pressure rings appart pressing them against your clutch plates, going in the opposite direction won't cause the outward pressure. This force or outward pressure is what causes friction on the clutches making the clicking/cluncking noises(it sounds like you already have an understanding of this anyway), since yours only does it in reverse well you know what I'm getting at good luck with getting it all straightened out.

Last edited by nudge120; Aug 5, 2011 at 06:13 PM.