Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Mivec Cams for FP Black / 2.4 ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best Mivec Cams for FP Black / 2.4 ?

Looking to sell my Kelford 272's as I believe they are too small for my current build.

Was wondering to hear some feedback/experience from people with cams.
I'm feeling a little impulsive and may grab a set of kelford 280's since these 272's have been treating me great.

What do you guys feel is best for a Ball Bearing FP Black, 2.4L 10.5:1 motor running on pump for the majority of it's life. (very occasional E85). Supertech Double Valve Springs, ported head. Magnus V5 and a 4" Garret core Inter Cooler. (can't think of anything else that may be needed to come to a proper conclusion. If you need any other info... my mods are in my sig)

Thanks in advance! Looking to get some top end HP that I feel the cams are robbing me of. Spool is fantastic, so I don't mind losing some.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

10.5.1 on pump gas... yaaa i would only on that on e85
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbo speedy
10.5.1 on pump gas... yaaa i would only on that on e85
I have had no problems with it. nearly 10k miles now.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

I would run either the kelford 280's or gsc s3's. I'm currently running the kelford 280's myself but may switch to the gsc s3's for greater lift.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
I would run either the kelford 280's or gsc s3's. I'm currently running the kelford 280's myself but may switch to the gsc s3's for greater lift.
Can you give me a little details on your cam journey?
Have you had 272's (kelford) and/or the 280s?
What is the price difference on the gscS3 vs K280's?
What have you noticed from cam to cam? Turbo used? Spool?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Just looked here:

http://www.maperformance.com/gsc-pow...sc-6009s3.html

Says GSC S3's are for GT42R and up...
I know all information online is subjective... but the way they said it sounds quite convincing. LOL.

Maybe the Kelford 280's would be a sweet spot. Would love to hear more info/experiences.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The current record on a dynojet for a FP Black (albeit SS) was with a pair of custom grind S3 size cams made by GSC.

The 2.4l moves more air naturally than the 2.0l. So large cams are a better match than they would be on a 2.0.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MagicManRed
Just looked here:

http://www.maperformance.com/gsc-pow...sc-6009s3.html

Says GSC S3's are for GT42R and up...
I know all information online is subjective... but the way they said it sounds quite convincing. LOL.

Maybe the Kelford 280's would be a sweet spot. Would love to hear more info/experiences.
FWIW, I have an FP Black, Built 2.0, MAP Stage 3 head with Kiggly valve springs, running GSC S3's.

According to English Racing, the S3's idle smoother than the S2's and make a bit more power up top. Not to mention, they sound really mean.

-Bink
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i know its not a direct compare or what your asking for, however on my evo 8 2.3L, w/FP-BLk, e85, 10.5:1 motor....s2's made more power longer than the kelford 272's......

i would suggest going the gsc s series route.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

I'm running the hta 3794 and 40 psi on a long rod 2.0L. The 280's have an 11.5mm lift on the exhaust and 11.0 on the intake so they aren't that aggressive. The S3's have 11.7mm lift on both the intake and exhaust. Price is the same or negligible. I previously had the cosworth m3's and m2's and I noticed a bit of difference in spool going from the m2's to the m3's, but nothing crazy. I imagine that the kelford 280's will give more top end over the cosworth m3's but nothing crazy. After I get tuned on the 280's I'm going to probably swap to the s3's for more top end.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mt057
The current record on a dynojet for a FP Black (albeit SS) was with a pair of custom grind S3 size cams made by GSC.

The 2.4l moves more air naturally than the 2.0l. So large cams are a better match than they would be on a 2.0.
Sweet. So here's a weird question,

A custom grind... is that actual grinding of the original cam at hand? Meaning there is less mass on the custom ground cam? If that were the case, what does the custom grinding do? Help high end only? Help high end and kill spool? What are the intentions of grinding a cam?

I like to wrap my head around things before making a decision (That's what she said LOL). I've made many decisions without wrapping my head around them first, and then ended up undoing 99% of them if you know what I mean.

Another misc question, custom grind s3's versus regular s3's... what would the advantages/disadvantages be in power band.

AMS's cam tests were fantastic, I wish they had the Kelford 280's in there.

I can't help but notice the stock-like spool of the Kelford 272's. The fact that they made 500, and the GSC S3's. So it makes me wonder if it is worth bothering with the S3's. Maybe I should just go Kelford 280 since I don't really have access to people custom grinding the cams for me.

Here's the post I'm talking about... most evoM'ers have probably seen it. Great post.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-cam-test.html
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Some cams start off as blanks that are then cut down to whatever specs are desired.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky
FWIW, I have an FP Black, Built 2.0, MAP Stage 3 head with Kiggly valve springs, running GSC S3's.

According to English Racing, the S3's idle smoother than the S2's and make a bit more power up top. Not to mention, they sound really mean.

-Bink
Interesting. This is all on an evo9?

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
i know its not a direct compare or what your asking for, however on my evo 8 2.3L, w/FP-BLk, e85, 10.5:1 motor....s2's made more power longer than the kelford 272's......

i would suggest going the gsc s series route.
Yeah, I'm starting to see a lot of people are saying the S series are fantastic...
That AMS Cam Test comparison really has me wondering why though... Wish the Kelford 280's were around for them to test at that time back to back with those others. I'm guessing the GSC's have a different grind to their S2/S3 since then?

I'm running the hta 3794 and 40 psi on a long rod 2.0L. The 280's have an 11.5mm lift on the exhaust and 11.0 on the intake so they aren't that aggressive. The S3's have 11.7mm lift on both the intake and exhaust. Price is the same or negligible. I previously had the cosworth m3's and m2's and I noticed a bit of difference in spool going from the m2's to the m3's, but nothing crazy. I imagine that the kelford 280's will give more top end over the cosworth m3's but nothing crazy. After I get tuned on the 280's I'm going to probably swap to the s3's for more top end.
How much spool do you think is lost from the S2 to the S3?

Thanks for this information guys!

Still trying to decide on GSC S3 or Kelford 280
I love my stock-like spool. Don't want to kill all of it. haha.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Some cams start off as blanks that are then cut down to whatever specs are desired.
Ahh so it's not necessarily a custom S3, it's just a custom cam. it doesn't resemble the S3 in particular... it could resemble any cam since it has it's own profile?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Correct, but it is still called an s3. You're going to loose spoolup going to either of the cams.

Quick Reply: Best Mivec Cams for FP Black / 2.4 ?