Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rebuild my twin or go with ACT 6 puck??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rebuild my twin or go with ACT 6 puck??

What up fellas,

I've had a Competition twin in my car a little over a year now and I've loved it so far. The only downfall, as with most twins, is the life of the clutch before a rebuild is needed. It depends on what you use your car most for but mine is driven on the street mostly. I went with the twin because I wanted something that would be there when I needed and would help my Shep tranny shift like it should. Well I now have 25k miles on it and it's slipping pretty bad. Been trying not to drive it but my DD car just died on me so it has left me kinda stuck driving the EVO around with a bad clutch.

As the title states I am trying to decide on whether I want to rebuild this clutch, which isn't expensive, or sell it as is and go with a different clutch like the ACT HD 6 puck with streetlite flywheel. I know this has been a heated debate but I need opinions from all who have had twins and 6 pucks and can give me educated advice on this.

I've done a lot of reading and have been getting prices on several different clutch setups. I know the pros of a twin since I've had two different twins but the life of these twins is definitely a con. I know the 6 puck with hold power but I almost feel like I would be downgrading by going with a 6 puck since I already have the twin.

Competition has been working on a new twin disc design and I've heard the driveability is night and day difference. My current CC twin is a bit of a PITA on hills and such. I've always loved having that confidence of knowing I have a clutch that will hold whatever I throw at it but I'm just thinking I may want something that will last a bit longer ya know?

Any help on this would be great guys!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
if your making any serious power & faced with traffic or hills, i suggest staying away from the act sprung 6 puck clutch.

This is what i sent to act.

This is my HDG6 clutch disc failure with ~18k miles.

I have been using a mb7 pressure plate, hdg6 disc & your prolite flywheel.

I daily drive my evo & have never been to the drag strip or launch my car with this disc.

I just enjoy my car; while driving through the twisties on my way, to & from work.

it makes ~600whp & ~525wtq.

I have used your hdss disc in the past on my stock motor with great success & had zero issues.

Here are 2 pictures of the failed disc. Besides the puck material coming off, the main problem was the plate that is raised & minimally supported by the 4 pedestal's is the culprit. As the plate is cracked all over, while the other side is fine....maybe the rivets allowed that plate to move / flex / distort.

I was then told by act "the reason for the fault was excessive launching &/or high rpm down shifting!" ummm, then why would your website recomendthis for street use & roadracing if it cant handle it???

btw, my oem gearbox has over 71k miles on it!

Here is a quote from act's website for that specific clutch:

Spring Centered (6 Pad) Disc
Recommended for Road Racing and high power Street, Increased torque capacity and spline life, Very good durability and good spline life, Quiet operation, reduced driveline shock

NOW, i do like their HDSS disc. i had this prior to my engine / power upgrade & after this disc shyt itself on my way to work, the only disc available @ that moment to me was my old disc with ~15k miles. Now this disc holds 500+tq just fine, despite only being rated to 480tq. granted this disc does shift slower than the act sprung 6 puck, while using the same flywheel / pressure plate.

GL on your decision.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I'm gonna be on the stock motor for a while actually. The most amount of power I'll be making for at least a year will be in the 400whp range. Just cams and supporting mods on stock turbo.
Looks like I'm gonna rebuild my twin lol