Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BBK full broken in, exhaust smells like oil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, elbow was pretty clean. It was spotless on this side of the bend, But I used a couple Q-tips and bent them at the head... stuck them through it as far as I could, and it came out with some crud each time, until about the 5th q-tip. Once cleaned, turned on the car and let it idle a bit to warm up, them throttled a few times. STILL SMELLS LIKE OIL. Going to check the oil fittings now.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonesey I7
checking now.. does the 90 degree elbow come off too somehow?
Ha....it will come out but it won't go back in. I took mine off in order to install the STM -6AN valve cover fitting. You need a pair of channel locks if you are going to do that, plus my valve cover was off the car at the time.

I would just stick something in there to see if that's clogged.

-Bink
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Both oil feed lines are bone dry, as is the visible seals on the backside of the turbo.

binky, check post above your last.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

OK, elbow was pretty clean. It was spotless on this side of the bend, But I used a couple Q-tips and bent them at the head... stuck them through it as far as I could, and it came out with some crud each time, until about the 5th q-tip. Once cleaned, turned on the car and let it idle a bit to warm up, them throttled a few times. STILL SMELLS LIKE OIL. Going to check the oil fittings now.

The exhaust still smells like oil or it smells like oil near the engine bay? The only thing I can think of, is say the problem was the PCV, maybe it will take some time to burn the residual oil off before the smell stops.

Do you have a compression tester?

EDIT - How's your oil level, did you overfill the motor?

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Aug 18, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky
The exhaust still smells like oil or it smells like oil near the engine bay? The only thing I can think of, is say the problem was the PCV, maybe it will take some time to burn the residual oil off before the smell stops.

Do you have a compression tester?

-Bink
Still smells like oil in exhaust. Doesn't smell like oil at all under hood, no visible leaks, nothing I can see from bottom either and the bottom shield is off my car still from the install so I can see a lot. And the leak we saw during install is underneath the cam gear cover, so I can't see it, but UNDER where we saw the little seepage, there is nothing there or dripping.

No, I don't have a compression tester. We did however check my compression at install which was approx. 3 weeks ago and he said it was beautiful.. a little higher compression than most.

Edit....

My oil level is perfect. We did not overfill whatsoever when we installed. As a matter of fact, when I noticed the oil smell, I added about a third of a quart as I was worried I was burning oil, and when I checked the oil that time the motor was hot, so I was worried about the accuracy, even though it was perfect on second notch in dip stick.

Last edited by Jonesey I7; Aug 18, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Still smells like oil in exhaust. Doesn't smell like oil at all under hood, no visible leaks, nothing I can see from bottom either and the bottom shield is off my car still from the install so I can see a lot. And the leak we saw during install is underneath the cam gear cover, so I can't see it, but UNDER where we saw the little seepage, there is nothing there or dripping.

No, I don't have a compression tester.

Edit....

My oil level is perfect. We did not overfill whatsoever when we installed. As a matter of fact, when I noticed the oil smell, I added about a third of a quart as I was worried I was burning oil, and when I checked the oil that time the motor was hot, so I was worried about the accuracy.
Alright. How's the coolant look? Is it green? Does it look like any oil mixed with it? Check the over-flow tank and under the radiator cap.

If you take the car out for a drive, turn the car off and grab (with a glove on, since its hot), the upper radiator pipe, is it hard? Feel the pipe before you go out to get an idea of how hard it is to squeeze this pipe. If it is hard to squeeze after you drive and turn the car off it might indicate a blown head gasket.

Also, I'm heading home from work in a bit, I'll check the thread when I get home, good luck

-Bink
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

i would double check your oil level.

i didnt see it but have you pulled off your DV hose on your UICP to see if oil is in there?

then i would check BEHIND the back of your valvecover where the oil cap is and see if you are leaking out of the breather hole back there.

then i would do a compression/leakdown test
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Alright. How's the coolant look? Is it green? Does it look like any oil mixed with it? Check the over-flow tank and under the radiator cap.

If you take the car out for a drive, turn the car off and grab (with a glove on, since its hot), the upper radiator pipe, is it hard? Feel the pipe before you go out to get an idea of how hard it is to squeeze this pipe. If it is hard to squeeze after you drive and turn the car off it might indicate a blown head gasket.

Also, I'm heading home from work in a bit, I'll check the thread when I get home, good luck

-Bink
Coolant is as green as it could be, in the over-flow tank, and under the cap. Although it is VERY low in the over-flow tank.

Going to do the radiator pipe test now. Will be back in five mins with results.

Originally Posted by brenner
i would double check your oil level.

i didnt see it but have you pulled off your DV hose on your UICP to see if oil is in there?

then i would check BEHIND the back of your valvecover where the oil cap is and see if you are leaking out of the breather hole back there.

then i would do a compression/leakdown test
Another noob moment, but what is the DV hose? I pulled of the UICP last night and there wasn't any oil at all.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

ok. Diverter valve hose. On the UICP you can just pull off the DV/hose (depends what pipe and intake you are running) and look in with a flashlight and finger to see if any oil is in the pipe rather than take the whole thing off.

Also, check your intake pipe. You could be dumping oil from the valvecover vent into the intake pipe before your turbo.

Good luck.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Coolant is as green as it could be, in the over-flow tank, and under the cap. Although it is VERY low in the over-flow tank.

Going to do the radiator pipe test now. Will be back in five mins with results.

Any luck?

-Bink
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Any luck?

-Bink
Ok.... I hate that I found the problem, but I did.

took off the map sensor and filter, and there is oil ALLLLLL OOOOOOVER my intake. My turbo is obviously blowing massive amounts of oil. What to do now. Does that mean the turbo is bad or going bad quickly and I need to use warranty to replace? **SIGHS**

Last edited by Jonesey I7; Aug 18, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Ok.... I hate that I found the problem, but I did.

took off the map sensor and filter, and there is oil ALLLLLL OOOOOOVER my intake. My turbo is obviously blowing massive amounts of oil. What to do now. Does that mean the turbo is bad or going bad quickly and I need to use warranty to replace? **SIGHS**

I'm assuming you had the valve cover vent hooked up to your intake? The vent comes out right by the cam angle sensor. If so, it might not be your turbo and could be blow by (which a catch can would fix).

Take a few pictures and post them.

-Bink
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I also sent this in PM-

How many miles are on the turbo? Where does the turbo get its oil supply from? The head or oil filter housing?

How is your PCV system hooked up, is it all stock? Does the vent from the valve cover hook up to you intake? My first reaction would be blow-by. If I found that wasn't the case, I would assume the bearings in the turbo are shot. When my FP Black blew, I got a lot of blue/white smoke out of the exhaust, and oil leaked out from around the outside of the turbo, there was no oil in the intake.

Does you turbo have shaft play?

-Bink
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
clean intake and MAF with some MAF cleaner my 8 had tons of sludge in the maf and intake pipe when i first got it cleaned it out and ran alot better
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

You have PM

-Bink

Quick Reply: New BBK full broken in, exhaust smells like oil