Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BBK full broken in, exhaust smells like oil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this help OP?

http://www.maperformance.com/kracka-...acuum-kit.html
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jonesy17,
I have the same problem. oil smell, NOT BURNING OIL smell, just plain oil smell. Noticed it after fpblk install. No leaks anywhere except for a little wetness around pcv hose. Checked it cleaned it wasn't dirty at all. pcv hose is not wet now, but oil smell is still there.

However I noticed that I only smell it if I have the air vents open. Is that the same for you? Where is this air pulled in from?... Is your oil line rerouted from the oil filter or is it still sock location from the head? Could be too much oil pressure building in the head from the blocked off oil feed?...

thnks
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think it is your turbo. I had this exact thing happen, and it was STILL MY PCV that made it happen.

If I were you, I would do this:

1.) CLEAN YOUR INTAKE TUBE SPOTLESS.
2.) RUN YOUR PCV SIDE VENT TO ATMOSPHERE (vac cap the nipple on intake mani and zip tie)
3.) RUN YOUR FRONT VALVECOVER VENT NORMALLY (to intake pipe)
4.) GO DO A FEW HARD BOOTS... 3/4 GEAR PULLS....
5.) CHECK THE PIPE

If the pipe stays clean, then you know the problem was your PCV. If the pipe is oily then you are experiencing some good blowby and you need to throw a catch can in between the VC vent and the intake pipe. Even though you said you could only blow through the PCV one way, under full boost it could be chucking oil into the intake mani and causing a huuuuuge mess. I had this exact problem and as soon as I removed the PCV -- running a dual catch can setup now -- I no longer had ANY oil issues. My intake, intercooler, UICP were ALL coated in oil..... not good for anything.

Let us know how you make out. A new PCV is only about $35 or so from Mitsu (dont get an aftermarket) or you can make a vented can for about $12 like I did.

cheers.

b