Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aps bov flutter!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aps bov flutter!?

So I finally switched out my HKS BOV that came on the car with a APS with a recriculated injen intake. The only problem is when I bought the BOV the guy had said he adjusted it and as far as my knowledge on this BOV it is best at optimal settings. So what is optimal setting? How many threads should be showing on the top nut adjustment? It holds boost perfect just getting flutter even a WOT. Thanks in advance and yes I did a search.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.airpowersystems.com/wrx/blow.htm
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ak47po
That shows some pics with it not threaded at all and some with it threaded. If someone has one that is optimal setting and can just count the threads that will be cool!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:03 AM

Bump....still fluttering. Swoosh th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by victim619
Just speaking from my experience....teflon tape the adjustment screw AND apply liquid gasket to seal up the cylinder where the rubber o-ring is. I used a bead of Hondabond on the outside of the o-ring. That's what it took to get mine to stop fluttering. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by gg06mr
just speaking from my experience....teflon tape the adjustment screw and apply liquid gasket to seal up the cylinder where the rubber o-ring is. I used a bead of hondabond on the outside of the o-ring. That's what it took to get mine to stop fluttering. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
+1
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:12 PM

Before I apply the teflon about how many threads should I have showing?

and also where is that o-ring your talking about? I also searched before and a few people said to oil it...are you really supposed to oil the bov and if so then where. And yes it is Frustrating! ughhhhh haha thanks for the tips and I hope you can help me through the rest of it so my car doesn't sound like a freakin duck sneazing. lol
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Before I apply the teflon about how many threads should I have showing?

and also where is that o-ring your talking about? I also searched before and a few people said to oil it...are you really supposed to oil the bov and if so then where. And yes it is Frustrating! ughhhhh haha thanks for the tips and I hope you can help me through the rest of it so my car doesn't sound like a freakin duck sneazing. lol
Buy a Tial.

My HKS sounds like a turkey call. Swoooooshhhhh-shhh-shhhh-shhh-gobble-gobble-gobble.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

The adjustment depends on your car, theres no "perfect adjustment" you need to research and find out how to do it. Mine is non adjustable and still new with turbo cars so I havent gotten to that point yet so can't help ya there
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:48 PM

I did the Teflon tape but can someone tell me where the o-ring is or how to get to it
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

I did the Teflon tape but can someone tell me where the o-ring is or how to get to it
Sorry, haven't had a chance to check back to EvoM for the last couple of days. Locate the four allen screws on the end of the BOV. Unscrew them. Remove the cap/end of the BOV. Once removed, you can't miss the o-ring.

While you have the cap off, I recommend that you pull the cylinder and spring assembly out, and load it up with grease. I've been using "green grease" with good results so far. Obviously don't overdo it though. You don't want to keep the spring from being able to move freely and allow the BOV to do it's job correctly.

Once that's done and back together, place a bead of sealant, like Hondabond, around where the cap meets the base of the BOV on the outside of where the o-ring is. Tighten the cap down nice and snug with the allen screws, and you should be all set. Hopefully that all makes sense. I know it's not the most technical description on how to do it.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Holy God!?!?! Why has no one just told him to loosen the screw to lighten the pre load!??!!?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonesey I7
Holy God!?!?! Why has no one just told him to loosen the screw to lighten the pre load!??!!?
Speaking from my personal experience, that didn't do ish to fix the flutter I was getting with my APS, so I recommended what fixed my issue.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:45 PM

did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same issue, same bov, ive adjusted the screw in and out, pulled it all apart all that fun stuff, cant figure it out.