Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What the heck is high rpm lockout?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck is high rpm lockout?

The reason I ask is because I dont know what kind of clutch I have in by car but when I bought it it had a wally 255 and a bunch of aftermarket stickers in the trunk. When my first tuner started the car he said that he thinks it had a three disc clutch in it but I cannot confirm or deny this. I just got my car tuned again this weekend and my clutch started to slip on one of my pulls but isnt slipping now, but I am having a hell of a time shifting my car into 2nd or 3rd now. I have the clutch in all the way and miss each gear 2-3 times when trying to shift.

Could this be because of the slippage maybe the tranny isnt disengaging all the way or is high rpm lockout meaning you cannot shift at high rpms? I think I may have bent something in the shift area as well because the shifter is almost touching the top of the opening when it is in neautral. And when I go 1st 3rd or 5th it almost touches the plastic ring. Any help or input is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would look under the hood and see if your bushings are shot. If so, get some solid bushings to replace those rubber OEM ones. They feel a lot more accurate and it'll help you with shifting.

But high RPM lockout is when you're high in the RPM, depress the clutch and it just won't let you in the gear you want.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:00 PM

Ok I will check my bushing. I cannot get into 2nd or 3rd to save my life, it literally takes a few attempt at getting it into gear. When I am driving normal it feels fine but anything over 6k it just wont go into gear. I wonder if thats what I am experiencing then.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by HFA_Ultima
Ok I will check my bushing. I cannot get into 2nd or 3rd to save my life, it literally takes a few attempt at getting it into gear. When I am driving normal it feels fine but anything over 6k it just wont go into gear. I wonder if thats what I am experiencing then.

maybe adjusting the clutch pedal?

I know I had to adjust mine because it would grind in higer RPM but now it doesnt do that...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah i was gonna say try adjusting your clutch pedal as well, as i had a similar problem
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:55 PM

Well it never used to do this until my last tune and the clutch starting the slip that one pass I made. I will see if adjusting the pedal helps. Im guessing either my clutch is locking out or its just shot and wont disengage properly at full throttle operation.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
why dont you just look at what clutch you have? that would be a good start
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like an organic disc. When they glaze over (heat up) they slip. As soon as the glaze is burned off, it starts to grab again. At what point in travel is your clutch starting to engage? A properly adjusted pedal would start engaging the clutch at above the halfway push point.

ps. if in fact you have an organic disc, you more than likely have a single disc clutch. Shine a flash light into the clutch fork hole and see what color your pressure plate is.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:25 AM

I wasnt sure if there was any way to check into the bellhousing without actually pulling it. I will check and see what clutch is in it. It engages about 1/2" off the floor board.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I wasnt sure if there was any way to check into the bellhousing without actually pulling it. I will check and see what clutch is in it. It engages about 1/2" off the floor board.
1/2 inch off the floor is not adjusted correctly. you are not getting disengagement whatever clutch it is
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also if you have a clutch fork stop check that out as well...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason I ask is because I dont know what kind of clutch I have in by car but when I bought it it had a wally 255 and a bunch of aftermarket stickers in the trunk. When my first tuner started the car he said that he thinks it had a three disc clutch in it but I cannot confirm or deny this. I just got my car tuned again this weekend and my clutch started to slip on one of my pulls but isnt slipping now, but I am having a hell of a time shifting my car into 2nd or 3rd now. I have the clutch in all the way and miss each gear 2-3 times when trying to shift.

Could this be because of the slippage maybe the tranny isnt disengaging all the way or is high rpm lockout meaning you cannot shift at high rpms? I think I may have bent something in the shift area as well because the shifter is almost touching the top of the opening when it is in neautral. And when I go 1st 3rd or 5th it almost touches the plastic ring. Any help or input is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Where'd you have the car tuned?

Sounds like the clutch and everything needs some serious help.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:39 AM

To Tobz Performance in Denver, Colorado. He said the clutch felt like it was on its way out as well.