Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rough Idle and Misfire after FIC 1050s Installed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really hope it's not the FIC 1050cc Injectors because I ordered a set last week...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The FIC 1050's were not having these same issues at all. The ones in question were only the 1680's and they are still under testing.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
First, dont try to blame this on the FIC injectors. If you read the whole thing, you would see the OP was already having issues before he installed the FIC injectors.

Now OP, why did you throw parts at the car, if it had problems? Its best to fix the problems and make the car run good, then start upgrading.

Also, I run these injectors and run scaling similar to what is posted in this thread. All my trims are within -/+5.
I thought the problems I was having were due to a leaking fuel injector. Not only was the idle not quite right but a few weeks ago I started being able to smell fuel when going WOT, so I figured both problems were related and I had a bad seal or injector. I bought the FICs a few months ago to go E85 but was thinking about nixing that idea until I started to get the fuel smell. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, fix the problems I was having and upgrade my injectors for E85. Also, when I pulled the stock injectors this is what I found on one of them:

After seeing this, I thought that surely this was the source of my problem but obviously it wasn't. However, now I can't even go back to the stock injectors to see if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sure you can buy a set of stock injectors off someone on here for cheap.. Good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
There was a post last week about certain FIC injectors causing problems similar to this. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rich-help.html

2nd page has info on the why the injectors were causing the problem. Might be worth looking into.
I read that thread and while it does seem like a similar issue it sounds like that guy was having the opposite problem. He was having problems at WOT and I'm having problems at idle. I haven't tried to go WOT with it the way it is but with the stock injectors the car ran fine under cruise and WOT, it was only at idle that there was a little bit of an issue which is now a much bigger issue.

Last edited by Ian0611; Aug 23, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for some more thoughts on this.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian0611
Bump for some more thoughts on this.
Buy some stockers for cheap, throw them in. Figure out problem. Fix. Then go back to modding.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you looked at the exhaust system? I've smelled fuel from cars with leaking exhaust systems.

If the O2 sensor is fluctuating, it might be because it's getting outside air and trying to deal with it.

Look for leaks before the O2 sensor. Check the gaskets around the manifold -> turbo, and turbo -> O2 housing. I've seen them cooked before in those areas.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Buy some stockers for cheap, throw them in. Figure out problem. Fix. Then go back to modding.
I suppose I could do that but my main goal is to fix the problem. So unless the injectors are the problem and both sets were bad, I don't see much point in putting in a third set of injectors other than it might make the car driveable for the time being.

Originally Posted by nightwalker
Have you looked at the exhaust system? I've smelled fuel from cars with leaking exhaust systems.

If the O2 sensor is fluctuating, it might be because it's getting outside air and trying to deal with it.

Look for leaks before the O2 sensor. Check the gaskets around the manifold -> turbo, and turbo -> O2 housing. I've seen them cooked before in those areas.
The exhaust system is good now. I had all the leaks fixed when I put in the IX turbo.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

It would be nice if people with FIC 1050's can chime in.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Did some more trial and error with the tune tonight. I put it in open loop and let it idle around 12.5 and the idle was smooth as can be. Set it back to close loop and let the AFRs lean back out to around 14.7 and it runs like garbage again. Binky sent me some ROMs that showed me that my MAF scaling was off so I tinkered with that and it seems to be idling a little better now but it's still missing and very choppy.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Well I tried disabling and blocking off the EGR and still no change. I've actually been driving the car the last few days and just like before the injector swap, it seems to drive fine without any noticeable misfire. I even tried boosting a little and it drove just fine. My next step is to swap out the injector resistor pack. I bought one on Friday so hopefully it will be here on Monday or Tuesday. If that doesn't fix it then I have no idea what to do next.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well I got the injector resistor pack swapped out tonight and once again... no change. Car still pops and misfires at idle. I'd love to just swallow my pride at this point and just take somewhere and say "Here. Fix this!" But everyone I've talked to about it is just as baffled by the problem as I am. I think my next step will be to swap out the whole fuel rail setup- FPR, fuel rail, and injectors. If that doesn't work I'm driving this thing off a cliff!!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GG_EVO_IX
It would be nice if people with FIC 1050's can chime in.
I have 1050s and they are fine.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Update 9/2/11

So here I am almost two weeks later basically right back where I started. Tonight I pulled out my stock fuel rail, stock FPR, and the FIC 1050s and threw in another stock rail and FPR along with some stock injectors. The end result is that I'm right back where I started. I can still hear and feel a small hiccup/msifire in the idle but it's not nearly as bad as it was with the 1050s so I'm going to stick with the stock injectors for now. After working on this issue almost every night for nearly two weeks here's what I've learned:

1. Even though one of the stock injectors had a broken tip, that was not the problem.

2. I now know how to install injectors but switching to larger injectors (FIC 1050s) made the problem worse and much more noticeable.

3. I now know how to disable and block off the EGR but that also did not fix the problem.

4. Putting in a different stock fuel rail and FPR did not fix the problem.

5. I could not find any vaccuum or boost leaks that were causing the problem.

6. Even though the idle was worse with the 1050s, in daily driving the car actually drove better with the 1050s than it did with the stock injectors. The car would go rich and nearly die when coming to a stop sometimes with the stock injectors. That problem went away after installing the 1050s. (Probably a tuning issue)

7. Tuning for larger injectors was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I'll be sure to update the thread if and when I find a solution to the problem but at this point I'm done messing with it for at least a few days.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and Misfire after FIC 1050s Installed