Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird Noise.. PLEASE Help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Noise.. PLEASE Help!

I was driving my car tonight, and it seemed to be running completely fine. I was getting off the highway and I heard a LOUD whining, screeching, nails on chalkboard-ish sound coming from around the passenger floorboard to front right hub assembly region. I drive a 2006 Evo IX MR with 67,XXX miles. Both the transmission and transfer case fluids were changed with oem fluids at 66,000 miles. I only hear the noise in low gear at low rpm when coming to a stop. Anyone have any opinions? I'm hoping its not the transfer case, but don't know what else it could be.. Please help.

Last edited by jstelll.; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:49 PM

pleeeease I'm seriously desperate.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

just curious, I'm hoping you went to a reputable shop to get the fluids changed out or the culprit of your problem could be your TC.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

How are your brake pads?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by evo_skillz
just curious, I'm hoping you went to a reputable shop to get the fluids changed out or the culprit of your problem could be your TC.
i did the fluids myself so i don't know why there would be any issues.

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
How are your brake pads?
i thought about that too, but they seem to be fine.

thanks for the input guys! bump.
the noise is almost unbearable, so i know its not a normal driveline noise. its almost like a metal on metal screeching.

Last edited by jstelll.; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:57 PM

so it only does it in low rpms when slowing down or when accelerating as well in lower rpms?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:11 PM

i only heard it when slowing down in low rpm.. same sound in gear and in neutral, same sound on and off the breaks. i babied it the whole way home so i don't know if it whines in high gear and higher speeds, which would prove to be the transfer case.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:09 AM

good morning bump. gonna have it on a lift today and try to pinpoint the noise from underneath.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

brake rotor dust shield. bend it back in place
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:23 AM

^ thank you, i'll try that today. any other opinions?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think i've the same problem as you.
But it very seldom happen.
First time happened during a rain, was driving around 40-80km/h due to heavy rain in the city, then suddenly the sound appear, i thought it was the water that splash underneath the car. But second time it appear on the same day, the rain has gone, but water still on the road, and i can confirm that i didn't drove through a water path, and the sound appear like 5 secs and gone. So i don't bother.

Until few days back, i drove my car like 25 miles, cruising between 180-220km/h, and then i slow down cause is arriving soon, then suddenly the noise appeared, it sounded like some metal lose, scrapping each other, or like what jstelll. describe.
I tried to locate the sound, it sounds like from the radio panel in the middle, but i can feel the vibration on the car floor. And i try to accelerate to increase the speed a little, like 2k-3k rpm, then the sound gone, so i release throttle, drop til 2k rpm and the sound appear again.
So i just re-accelerate and the sound gone.

Till today, i cold start my car, and i can hear the same sound but slightly soft a bit for 3-5sec just after ignition. Then gone.

I dunno if is the exhaust/downpipe bracket or some nuts lose, i will try to jack up the car and see what's wrong. Probably very hard to pinpoint cause if the sound never appear, i couldn't describe it to my mechanic.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

Accessory belt squeeling? I wouldn't expect to happen only under decel in low gear at low speed...but who knows.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mirkendargen
Accessory belt squeeling? I wouldn't expect to happen only under decel in low gear at low speed...but who knows.
I don't think so bro. As it sounds like if the transfer case is dead, but not always, and it seldom happen. Might be transfer case, anything to do underneath the car. Im very sure it is from there.
Some ppl claim is the resonator that having clash with the shaft due to raining days and traction theory. Some said is really that. But I'm just wondering would it happen, even the rain not heavy as pee? Just a little light rain ?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:43 PM

could be transfer case death whine. have you checked it out yet?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

"screeching, nails on chalkboard-ish, low speed, low gear, low rpm when coming to a stop", sounds so much like brake noise. I know you said they seem fine but I would pull them and check.

Transfer Case death whine is more lower pitch drone than screeching.

Last edited by fryedchikin; Aug 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise.. PLEASE Help!