Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FINALLY!! FP dual bb Black

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
if they release a BB red...im gonna go broke.
The entire FP lineup (Green HTA, Red, and Black) will be available in the BB configuration.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
...wow thats pricey for what it is....very cool, but not my cup o tea.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, good thing I wait. Now I have my spare ix turbo and ready to upgrade. . Can't wait to see the complete lineup.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
It's only $500 more than the journal bearing Black, so I'm not sure what you're calling pricey.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As much as I love the BB Black for it's insane top end(137mph@23 psi) I think the BB Green will be for me, liked my car the most with the Green, I can keep it floored through the gears more on back twisty roads, with the BB Black the power is a bit much for me, it did fair well in the autocross though. Durability is great, I can hear it spinning down for over a minute after shutoff. Anyone who try's the new BB stock framed turbo's from FP will not be dissapointed.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Actually, based on what I had in my swap or what is required for an aftermarket setup, this is a very affordable option. If you run the numbers you would be surprised and this is not to mention the time saved because it is a bolt on affair.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

What sucks the most is the fact the fp clearly knew that they were having a high failure rate with the bearing in the journal bearing black . Blamed it on oiling issues . Made us all switch oils and do extras crap to our cars to make this turbo somewhat reliable on our cars .

then without notice spring this up on us.

This actually pisses me off more than excites me .
They should offer an upgrade to the customers that still have an existing warranty at a discounted price .. Ive had my black for 3 1/2 months . and its only been installed for 1.

If i wouldve known I wouldve waited and not had the possibility of an unreliable bearing .

(end rant .) lol

Last edited by danameisoj; Aug 24, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the JB version is gone and now we are forced to pay another $500 for a stock location turbo?

Kinda makes going T3 more enticing now.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by danameisoj
What sucks the most is the fact the fp clearly knew that they were having a high failure rate with the bearing in the journal bearing black . Blamed it on oiling issues . Made us all switch oils and do extras crap to our cars to make this turbo somewhat reliable on our cars .

then without notice spring this up on us.

This actually pisses me off more than excites me .
They should offer an upgrade to the customers that still have an existing warranty at a discounted price .. Ive had my black for 3 1/2 months . and its only been installed for 1.

If i wouldve known I wouldve waited and not had the possibility of an unreliable bearing .

(end rant .) lol
this is a bit of a rude comment actually. you should be thanking a company like FP in the first place for dedicating their time, research, and money to produce such amazing stock frame bolt on turbos for these cars.. the entire fp line up is nothing short of amazing. The bearings were just fine when you used proper lubrication and werent trying to spin the turbo from hell and back (which is what 50% of fp customers do).. and you wonder why there was a high failure rate?

FP warranteed/backed up every failure probably within a 90% percentile..

now there has been 2-3 years of testing on these ball bearing systems they just came out with for us, and to make things better they are 100% serviceable bearings so FP will stand by their warranty no different then they did in the past.

Every FP turbo ive ever killed personally was because ive abused the unit or didnt use proper oil.. I never once had a FP unit fail on me when following proper guidelines and not abusing the unit.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
this is a bit of a rude comment actually. you should be thanking a company like FP in the first place for dedicating their time, research, and money to produce such amazing stock frame bolt on turbos for these cars.. the entire fp line up is nothing short of amazing. The bearings were just fine when you used proper lubrication and werent trying to spin the turbo from hell and back (which is what 50% of fp customers do).. and you wonder why there was a high failure rate?

FP warranteed/backed up every failure probably within a 90% percentile..

now there has been 2-3 years of testing on these ball bearing systems they just came out with for us, and to make things better they are 100% serviceable bearings so FP will stand by their warranty no different then they did in the past.

Every FP turbo ive ever killed personally was because ive abused the unit or didnt use proper oil.. I never once had a FP unit fail on me when following proper guidelines and not abusing the unit.

If there wasnt a problem with the original product. they would not have changed it to the permanent fix of ball bearing .

Yes . I do thank them for making a sweet turbo.. But on the other end they are well aware of how they have the market by the *****.
We have no other choice but to follow thier guidelines or were out of a turbo.

Now with the new turbo i doubt they'll have the same quidelines since the product is fixed.

btw. ive seen the failures of this turbo at 36psi .. well under the (spin the hell out of it range)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im sold!! time to upgrade to a black lol
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

This certainly is good news because for a long time the Evolution world has lacked turbos with ***** ....

I certainly hope FP offers the full range of replacement ball bearing cartridges as in from virtually standard throught to their black version .
People may think its a bit extreme having say a std wheeled 9 turbo with ball bearings but it would make turbine housings smaller than 10.5 redundant even with a TD05HR turbine . It probably eliminates the need for TiAl turbines anyway .

I know I'm getting a long way ahead but one thing has always buggd me with bush and ball bearing center housings and thats the section in the back where the turbines piston ring seal is . When it's chews/chops out it makes the center housing a throw away which is wasteful and another expense , if some kind of high temp capable bush was fitted the centre housing ceases to be a wearing part - in a BB cartridge anyway .

That aside I'll be waiting to see versions of the HTA71 with possibly a slightly larger turbine than std so we could have std spool and heaps of low to mid range torque in an engine that still revs .

Gotta be cheaper/easier than a stroked motor and probably cheaper than the HKS GT II 7460R as well .

Thanks FP , cheers A .
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
The HTA green DBB we have been testing has provided some remarkable results. Its crazy that it seems to come on faster than the journal bearing (at least to me) even if not much.

Aaron
Doesn't seem to be much different in threshold to me, maybe slightly.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GrocMax
Doesn't seem to be much different in threshold to me, maybe slightly.
So are the only gains in longevity?

And is the "upgrade" from a current black REALLY $1000?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
It's only $500 more than the journal bearing Black, so I'm not sure what you're calling pricey.
Well I'd rather have a HTA3586 or 82 for less money.....but its really a moot point since they're not the same Turbo. Just thought 2400 dollars was pricey.....but i guess i'll reserve judgment until i hear some feed back on it.

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Aug 24, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY!! FP dual bb Black