Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FINALLY!! FP dual bb Black

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boonkae
I'm on a build 2.0 L engine running gt3076r with around 430whp & 54kg (1.8bar) ..
If i upgrade to the new fp black bb ...
Will it be a better than my old gt3076r ?
Will it be more lag ?
I would say more power with less lag. But what excaust set up do u have?
If you have A t3 set up then u should step up to a hta35r over the black.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
..If i upgrade to the new fp black bb ... Will it be a better than my old gt3076r ?...Will it be more lag ?
As a point of reference, the journal bearing Red produces comparable power to the 3076 because the compressors on both the Red and the 3076 flow about the same amount of air. However, the journal bearing Red spools quicker than the 3076.

In turn the journal bearing Black spools about 200 to 400 RPM slower than the journal bearing Red. So, a journal bearing Black should spool at more or less the same rate as your 3076. Extrapolating from the above we can arrive at the conclusion that the new BB Black will exhibit very similar spool characteristics to those of your 3076 while delivering 40 to 50 more WHP untuned.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 26, 2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:20 AM

Thanks 17pstockcar & Sparky ..
Yes i'm using a t3 exhaust manifold but is bored with it cracking again & again ....
Don't have that kind of problem using ported stock manifold ...
Now GTX 3076R with 0.82 or FP Black BB is my first choice ...
Maybe i'll go back to ported stock manifold & try the new FP Black BB ....
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...Now GTX 3076R with 0.82 or FP Black BB is my first choice ...Maybe i'll go back to ported stock manifold & try the new FP Black BB ....
I am not real familiar with the Garrett turbos for the Evo. Is the .82 housing undivided, or twin scroll? At any rate, my uneducated guess is that a BB Black will spool faster than that 3076, .82 and produce at least 30 to 40 WHP more just slapped on.... without a tune that is. Once you tune the Black it should produce at least 50 WHP more than your 3076. It should be able to outspool it easily.

The Black runs really well in conjunction with a ported stock cast manifold It is a true bolt on turbo with a 35R compressor wheel. It would hands down be a better setup than your current 3076 with a cracking tubular header and an undivided .82 housing. It(the BB Black) will make more power, spool quicker. In addition, the ported stock manifold will provide stocklike dependability. So, follow your instinct and sell that tubular GT30 kit and get the FP BB Black!

Last edited by sparky; Aug 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Picky, picky, picky!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks 17pstockcar & Sparky ..
Yes i'm using a t3 exhaust manifold but is bored with it cracking again & again ....
Don't have that kind of problem using ported stock manifold ...
Now GTX 3076R with 0.82 or FP Black BB is my first choice ...
Maybe i'll go back to ported stock manifold & try the new FP Black BB ....
Time to ditch GT3076 Single Scroll and be the first in Malaysia to go with FP Black BB
Even with RON97,i guess 500whp on Dynojet should be doable
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was pretty stoked when I saw this. I was even more stoked when I found out that we've got the best pricing you'll find for these babies.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...yours-now.html

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Time to ditch GT3076 Single Scroll and be the first in Malaysia to go with FP Black BB
Even with RON97,i guess 500whp on Dynojet should be doable
How does RON97 compare to 91 Octane (USA)? I know that octane ratings vary around the world. And is 97 RON "pump" gas, or is it hard to find?

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Aug 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:57 AM

Nice!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by danameisoj
What sucks the most is the fact the fp clearly knew that they were having a high failure rate with the bearing in the journal bearing black . Blamed it on oiling issues . Made us all switch oils and do extras crap to our cars to make this turbo somewhat reliable on our cars .

then without notice spring this up on us.

This actually pisses me off more than excites me .
They should offer an upgrade to the customers that still have an existing warranty at a discounted price .. Ive had my black for 3 1/2 months . and its only been installed for 1.

If i wouldve known I wouldve waited and not had the possibility of an unreliable bearing .

(end rant .) lol
If you read the announcement from FP they acknowledge thrust limitations, bearing damage, and oil sensitivity issues with the older journal bearing design.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...yours-now.html

"Forced Performance is proud to announce the debut of our 100% brand new, patent pending, dual ceramic ball bearing design within the FP BLACK™ Turbocharger for the Lancer Evolution 4-9 vehicles. This new design virtually eliminates any limit to allowable thrust load within the turbocharger while simultaneously reducing drag and rotational resistance to spool up. The increased thrust limit significantly extends the longevity of the turbocharger when operated beyond its published flow and boost limits and eliminates the turbochargers sensitivity to lubrication interruptions due to hard acceleration and cornering forces. Recent performance testing at the MHI Research and Development Laboratories in Nagasaki, Japan verified that the design dramatically exceeds the normal allowable thrust loads for TD05/6 type turbochargers and allows for a significant increase in the available airflow from the turbocharger without bearing damage."
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
less money? Have you priced out a 3586 kit? As you stated, they're not the same turbo, but just buying a 3586 or 82 won't get you rolling.
There's more to it then just buying an FB black and bolting it on..... But yes in the end it MAY be slightly cheaper.

I really don't care, since i won't run a stock frame Turbo anyway....so i'll just leave this thread and stop siring the pot.

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Aug 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Aug 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

niceee
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok i've read all the post so far as i am really intrested in the BB black, and currently do have a JB black that i've had no issues with but i keep hearing 1000 dollars and 500 dollars to upgrade, So to clearify as of now if i sent in my JB black what would be the cost to upgrade to a BB black??? is it 500 or a 1000 bucks? 500 bucks sounds alot better considering i payed 2k for the black when they 1st came out.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Good question...I just blew my JB Black and am looking to get it rebuilt. Are they going to rebuild it to the JB Black again or upgrade it to a BB Black?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock framed FP Turbos had a BIG NUMBER OF FAILURE, specially the Red and Black. This is what made FP offer the upgraded oil feed line and issue a recommended oils list.

As for the reason not so many threads are on evom about failing reds and blacks, i guess it goes back to fp warranting the turbos.

I personally know people who went through several failures of fp blacks and reds. Believe me, it's not nice when you have two fp blacks and one fp red fail, and you live outside the USA. Now if you want to blame it on the customers and not on the turbos, then you should see similar number of failures with stock evo 9 turbos, bbk turbos, garett turbos,etc.. which you don't! Accordingly, I'd say it's the turbos NOT the customers.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

These look great. I was at 1st looking into the fpblack but the jurnal berring was very off putting. I was going to go with an EFR but they are taking way to long to bring out the numbers.
This will be very close if not at my powergoals and do it with faster spool and better powerband and better price. Looks like a win win to me.
Now to sort out my driveline.

Quick Reply: FINALLY!! FP dual bb Black