Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Sloppy Driveline/Jerking and Bouncing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackSE
Is it normal to be able to rock the car back and forth while it is in gear with the engine off and ebrake down?
Every gear in the transmission, transfer case or rear differential must have some clearance or play. Every splined shaft in the drive train has play. Every constant velocity joint must have some small amount of clearance. Add them all up and the answer is yes.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might this be caused by an improperly bled ACD pump?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how many miles on the car? have you looked under it, just for the most part a visual inspection could see if anythin rubber is worn on your car, that would be a good place to start... visual and clean ur tb? see if it cures if not you got a good idea by then what to replace....Good luck
Old Apr 4, 2012, 01:01 AM

I have exactly the same issue. Changing Diff and moustache bar bushings to ralliart didn't help (possibly made it more noticable). Could it be the sprung plate in the clutch?

Would love to find the answer. This really cheapens the ride quality of the car.

Interestingly I had a similar issue with an evo 7 and changing the diff and moustache bushing fixed it 100%.

Last edited by rigel4; Apr 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same problem after i put solid mounts on my rear diff. where if i let the clutch out a little too fast i get a clunk in the rear end. like to much slop or something im not sure what it is????
Old Apr 4, 2012, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this same issue.. but it only started after i got a fully built Tcase from MAP. It could have been the installation or the tcase build itself, but it's definitely noticeable and jerks the whole car when i let off the gas on the street or the highway.

Last edited by scothu; Apr 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:20 AM

BlackSE, any update on this? I have a similar issue... what's the solution?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I had some of that clunking and jerking you mentioned. Didn't happen all the time, just usually at slow speeds or near stopping. I just installed the AWD 2 piece aluminum driveshaft. So far no occurrences, but it didn't happen all the time.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:12 AM

Anybody have any answers yet?
Old May 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

No updates with this unfortunately, still dealing with it. I really hope its not a problem with the transfer case...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I too have tons of backlash in the drivetrain, especially when 'givin her. Even over a real bad road at constant speed the bumps will bounce the driver around enough to stutter the throttle and get the driveline into this occilation that leads one to just completely lift or punch it.. I was guessing the motor mounts need to be replaced, but now not sure if it's the four around the rear diff or other bushings to be replaced as well.

I really don't want to end up with a nasty buzz-box due to overly stiff bush's. Looking for any suggestions.

Oh, and in my case it isn't a sticky throttle, nor does it seem to be the drivetrain itself (newish clutch, and tight trans, etc).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

sorry to revive the thread guys but i have the same problem and would like to fix it ? did any of you guys come up with anything that helped?

im close to getting some rear diff + mustache bar bushings but the only thing stopping me is horror stories of obnoxiously loud whines at 60-80mph !

i also have a front MM
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I recently installed the Energy Suspension red bushings on the rear diff and the AMS black front MM bushing. Still have quite a bit of slop in the drivetrain, tempted to do the driveshaft bushings next. Even had the throttle body cleaned, throttle cable adjusted, and new clutch. Trying not to over do it and generate too many vibes in the cabin.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
I recently installed the Energy Suspension red bushings on the rear diff and the AMS black front MM bushing. Still have quite a bit of slop in the drivetrain, tempted to do the driveshaft bushings next. Even had the throttle body cleaned, throttle cable adjusted, and new clutch. Trying not to over do it and generate too many vibes in the cabin.

wow, even with the rear diff bushings it didnt help? do you have mustache bushings too? and has your car gotten a louder whine noise ? ?
hmm the bushings didnt fix the slope maybe i might hold off on them ...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by elim0
wow, even with the rear diff bushings it didnt help? do you have mustache bushings too? and has your car gotten a louder whine noise ? ?
hmm the bushings didnt fix the slope maybe i might hold off on them ...
Haven't really noticed any whining noises from the rear diff since the installation.

Quick Reply: Sloppy Driveline/Jerking and Bouncing