Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV to Atmosphere w/ SAFC-II? How do we do it? Deceleration?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV to Atmosphere w/ SAFC-II? How do we do it? Deceleration?

My friend has all the settings dialed in perfect with his SAFC-II, but he recently put a BOV on, and wants to know how to change the settings to atmosphere. Is it under the "deceleration" section of the SAFC-II?

thanks,
Corey

--------------------------------
97 C5 6 speed.

Slammed, Intake, NOS 5177.
307rwhp N/A
391rwhp/485 ftlb (800psi bottle, needs to be 1,000)

94,600 miles on the clock.
Stronger everyday.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Its not possible, anyone who says otherwise is compensating for something ricy at the sacrifice of driveability and performance.

The problem with venting is that you blow off air that has already been measured by the MAF. But the car still injects fuel for it, thus you stumble and run like crap. No matter how you control fuel, with a stock maf you are still blowing off measured air and anything you do with the afc is a band aid.

With that said, I have been venting for the past year...after 2 weeks he won't even notice the changes you make to your driving style to compensate....if its that important.

Also, in theory, venting might cause premature cylinder wear. Your injecting enough extra fuel to make the cars come down from 7k and dies, which is likely enough to wash the oil off the cylinder walls.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 03:24 PM

Does moving the BOV before the MAF change anything?

-Corey
Old Jan 3, 2004, 03:36 PM
In Timeout

I would say just don't do it. Be smart they made it that way for a reason. I tried 6 different BOV's on my car and the best one was stock, if you want that dumb *** sound to feel like you are cool and do the VTA you will pay with compresser surge as well as stalling and other problems. Is that stupid noise really worth all this?

Originally posted by StockC5
Does moving the BOV before the MAF change anything?

-Corey
Old Jan 3, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

You can't put the BOV before the MAF. A BOV releases pressure to prevent surge. That means it HAS to be on the exhaust side of the turbo. Putting it before the MAF would be putting it on the intake side of the turbo rendering it useless.

Also, from what I've read nobody has gotten the SAFC to work with a VTA BOV. Lose the SAFC and get either an e-manage which controls air/fuel and ignition or a complete stand-alone. That's the only way a VTA BOV will work. Otherwise stick with recirculating. My $.02
Old Jan 3, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditch the AFC and get emanage if you want to run a VTA BOV. you can then run a MAP sensor (i'm pretty sure thats an option with emanage) instead of the MAF sensor and then you won't get engine stumbling when it vents. but you will have increased turbo lag since the air is being released into the atmosphere and not recirculated to help keep the turbo spooled.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

An SAFC has a decelerative airflow function to compensate for the VTA BOV, but only for cars with hotwire MAF setups. Evos, unfortunately, don't.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Crufty Dusty
An SAFC has a decelerative airflow function to compensate for the VTA BOV, but only for cars with hotwire MAF setups. Evos, unfortunately, don't.
ok, thanks for the info. Its not really for sound, its just that he got a blow off valve cheap, and it does hold almost 20lbs of boost with no boost controller. Doesn't really want to spend on an aftermarket diverter, but looks like will need too.

thanks for the quick replies!

-Corey