Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New guy to the Evo world.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New guy to the Evo world.

I'm not new to boost or AWD, but i do need more info about how to take care of my evo. I just got it like 2 weeks ago for a cheap price, but i needs the timing belt replaced and the clutch too. How much would the timing belt cost to replace from a shop? since i live in a condo i do not have a garage or enough tools to do jobs like those.
Its the Evo 8
Old Sep 4, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
$600 + parts.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Generally it depends on the hourly rate of the shop. A clutch is 10ish hours and a timing belt jobs is 5-5.5 hours depending on if the water pump is changed. If cams are installed as well it saves money overall but costs more upfront.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:59 AM

where can i find the whole kit? i might just do it at my buddies place after all
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Netolopez
where can i find the whole kit? i might just do it at my buddies place after all
If it needs a timing belt, just get the 60k service kit.
It's labeled at "EVO VIII timing belt kit". Comes with a water pump and a bunch of other 60k crap.
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=652

Since you'll be dropping the trans too for a clutch job, you should also change all the fluids. I'm using Amsoil 75W-90 on the rear diff, transfer case and tranny and it works well. The OEM Diaqueen and Redline oils, I haven't heard much of any problems with so you can use them too if you don't want Amsoil.

As for a clutch kit, the 2 main suggestions are ACT-HDSS and Exedy Twin HD. ACT-HDSS, you would need to break it in properly as I've heard you get high RPM lock out issues when shifting up high. Exedy Twin doesn't have this problem but I've heard it has problems when just trying to normally drive it (easy fix here) and the TOB likes to pop out (again, easy fix here). Other then that, both are solid choices and you won't be disappointed with either.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
Account Disabled

welcome
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:06 AM

thanks guys, the car already has and exedy twin disk clutch.
but now my gas door wont open, how can i open it?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

the clip might be broken like mine,so now i have to stick my key under the door and pop it open.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

my gas door clip is broken, do like what ^^ guy says, but you can lodge somethin underneath the gas door latch by the driver seat have it held up, then get a small key or a quarter and slip it in the crack on the right side of the gas door to fender, push it towards the back and ur gas door should open. Mines been like that for about a year, these break, im on my 4th broken one since owning this in 07.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 06:08 PM

I'm sure the dealer ship has them in stock right?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
my gas door clip is broken, do like what ^^ guy says, but you can lodge somethin underneath the gas door latch by the driver seat have it held up, then get a small key or a quarter and slip it in the crack on the right side of the gas door to fender, push it towards the back and ur gas door should open. Mines been like that for about a year, these break, im on my 4th broken one since owning this in 07.
Lol, I've been wedging my wallet under the lever and using my key to pop open the gas door for a while now. I guess that would annoy some people, but I don't even think about it now, and haven't bothered to fix it.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm sure the dealer ship has them in stock right?
Hahaha, that's a good one.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

haha thats funny blackened wings, when i put in my sparco 6 pt harness on my car, i had it previously hooked up over the back seats up by the speakers where the anchor point is so i took off the cover for the bolt, never put it back on i just wedge that underneath my gas door...but i guess a wallet would work too haha
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Lol, I've been wedging my wallet under the lever and using my key to pop open the gas door for a while now. I guess that would annoy some people, but I don't even think about it now, and haven't bothered to fix it.
I see, I started to use a stack of cards
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I see, I started to use a stack of cards
Am I the only one that finds it hysterical that we all have this badass homolugated race car that we have to wedge random crap under the gas release lever to fill it with fuel?

Quick Reply: New guy to the Evo world.