Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can I have some opinion on this, please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I have some opinion on this, please

can somebody let me know if i made a stupid decision, basically i got a evo IX MR with about 515 whp, it has a 20/30psi, 93oct/E85 flip switch, so it will normally be driven with about 420-430 whp on 20psi, but when at the track, it will be E85/30psi, it has an exedy hd twin, which is completely screwed, slippes everytime, im pretty sure the pressure plate is screwed as well, i talked to a mitsubishi tech and he was saying i should get another flywheel when i get the clutch. I asked another friend who knows alot about AWD cars, he drives a built STI, and he recommended i get the ACT XTSS, so ordered and just got the ACT XTSS with Streetlite Flywheel, it hasnt been installed yet, but after reading alot of forums, im thinking it might be dumb to go from an exedy twin to ACT, the only reason i did this is because you have to replace the exedy's every 10,000-20,000 miles, and ive heard the ACT can last 50k+, and i called to get a price on the exedy complete rebuild and pressure plate, plus a decent flywheel it is about 1200$, i really dont plan on modding the car much more, im just wondering if this was a good or bad idea, from my perspective, car makes roughly 480wtq, i think, so either waste alot of money on exedy rebuilds over the next few years, or install this ACT XTSS, got the ACT and flywheel for almost 900 once again its not installed yet, so i can return if need be, it will be ran at the track a little bit, not too much, probably a few launches but mostly time trials, so what do youll think, opinions are appreciated, thanks

Last edited by sliknik874; Sep 4, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would keep the exedy twin hands down and to rebuild a exedy twin is not that much try like 620 total. Pm strictly modified as they rebuilt mine and its holding 485tq on pump and 575tq on e85 easily
Old Sep 5, 2011, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I took my twin disk PTT out after the second round in 15k miles and put a stock one in. The maintainence was too much for me. The ACT will work well it just wont shift as well as a twin at high rpm.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've tried two single plates and had both fail in less than 15k, while both of my friends had outstanding results with the twin, 'evolutionary' on here had put 40,000 miles on his comprised of street driving, drag race launches and as some of you know, a little autox domination.

To be fair to the ACT, I never owned one of those, heard too many lockout stories. To play devil's advocate against myself, I've had the TOB clip (called a wedge collar) pop off on the street after installing my twin HD, and had to drop the trans to replace the stupid thing.

To sum up my post: all clutches suck. I hope this helps

my best numbers to date are 619 dynojet, 510/465 mustang dyno, and the Twin shifts well at 8500+ rpm at this power level