Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Proper Fuel Pump Wiring / Safe Installation?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper Fuel Pump Wiring / Safe Installation?

Hey guys, maybe you can solve my paranoia when it comes to installing my new fuel pump into my evo.

Basically, I installed the pump about a month ago and during the installation I snapped the positive stud that the + wire for the pump connects to, so I jerry-rigged it and ran a bolt through w/ a insulator.

That didn't work, the bolt grounded out and the pump would not run, plus it caused my ignition fuse to pop.

I'm guessing when it grounded, it did attempt to spark, but the additional draw from the grounded circuit w/o the resistance of the fuel pump caused a really high current draw which popped the ignition fuse and thus prevented my car from blowing up? At least I hope that's what happened...

If what I said is incorrect, you could explain why the ignition fuse popping occurred w/ the pump grounding out? that would be great.

Anyways, I had to order a new *used* fuel pump assembly.

So, I'd like to be safe this time around, and not risk blowing myself or my car up.. I'll be sure to not overtighten the positive stud this time...

Is there anything else you have to say about the installation of the pump? I've read the guides, just wanted to hear if anyone else had input, and if anyone could answer my question about the fuse popping.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your unsure about the install either search around and find a good write up on how to do it or take it somewhere to be done. There are plenty of good how-to articles on this side, I'm sure there's 1 on a fuel pump. Probably even has pictures for added help.