Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Porting factory intake manifold - yield gains or losses?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011 | 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Porting factory intake manifold - yield gains or losses?

So, I was speaking with a good friend of mine, and telling him that my head, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold are getting ported right now. He told me that porting the factory intake manifold will hurt flow and cause my car to run like $*% and lose power.

If the manifold is properly ported by someone who knows what they are doing, is this a true statement? Do they flow best as is? I'm wondering if I should advise him not to port the intake manifold now???

Any info on this is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2011 | 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

I would definitely get it ported while it's out, you will see some loss down low, but bigger gains up top. The only thing that will be hurt by porting it will be the spool up of the turbo. It may lag behind what it used to.

Who is porting it? I had MAP port/coat my intake/exhaust manifolds and my cylinder head and everything came out great. I highly recommend them to port all of your stuff.

You should also have it ported to accept a 65mm throttle body while your at it.

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Sep 8, 2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2011 | 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

I am getting it done by a local machine shop who is reputable in the area. I'm getting a good price on everything and have seen the guys work on a couple other 4g63 engines - very good.
Old Sep 8, 2011 | 07:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Tell ur friend to stfu he dont know what he is talking about. There has been many threads about gains with ported intakes and exhaust mani's. A good tune after that will show great gains.
Old Sep 8, 2011 | 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Tell ur friend to stfu he dont know what he is talking about. There has been many threads about gains with ported intakes and exhaust mani's. A good tune after that will show great gains.
I thought I've seen a thread someone what recently about this, but when searching couldn't find it. Thanks for the input though!

For instance, he told me getting a Buschur 10:1 motor was a bad idea, that it will just blow up because that's way too high of compression. I told him to do some research before making those remarks. He then had a comment about the intake manifold, and I was just like "ummm... not sure about that"

Last edited by CtSilver03Evo; Sep 8, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2011 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I saw gains on both my IX and X with a ported stock intake manifold. Get the inlet on your intake manifold opened up to 65mm and get a ported throttle body too.
Old Sep 8, 2011 | 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by CtSilver03Evo
he told me getting a Buschur 10:1 motor was a bad idea, that it will just blow up because that's way too high of compression. I told him to do some research before making those remarks. He then had a comment about the intake manifold, and I was just like "ummm... not sure about that"
Well I will tend to agree with that to some extent. A 10:1 motor will be tricky because unless your running pure alcohol and or e85 all the time it can be very hard to tune. Will run like a raped ape for sure though. I mean if you have e85 around you everywhere then I say go for it. But that ratio I would be a little leary about if pump gas was involved.

Originally Posted by Kracka
I saw gains on both my IX and X with a ported stock intake manifold. Get the inlet on your intake manifold opened up to 65mm and get a ported throttle body too.
And excellent point my frined.
Old Sep 8, 2011 | 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Does your friend drive a honduhh?? And yeah tell him to STFU.
Old Sep 9, 2011 | 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Well I will tend to agree with that to some extent. A 10:1 motor will be tricky because unless your running pure alcohol and or e85 all the time it can be very hard to tune. Will run like a raped ape for sure though. I mean if you have e85 around you everywhere then I say go for it. But that ratio I would be a little leary about if pump gas was involved.

And excellent point my frined.
Unfortunately no e85 around me anywhere... Don't sell it in CT. Lousy @$$H0l3s! Gonna just be 93oct... thinking about buying a meth kit.
Old Sep 9, 2011 | 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

They sell e-85 just over the CT/MA border

And by just over, depending where you live, you may to drive some

I've been working with Sunocco to get their E85-R to come right down the street from me in MA. The best thing is there is no winter blend, it's 85% ethanol all year round.

-Bink
Old Sep 9, 2011 | 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
They sell e-85 just over the CT/MA border

And by just over, depending where you live, you may to drive some

I've been working with Sunocco to get their E85-R to come right down the street from me in MA. The best thing is there is no winter blend, it's 85% ethanol all year round.

-Bink
Where abouts? the closest station I know of is North Hampton.
Old Sep 9, 2011 | 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CtSilver03Evo
Where abouts? the closest station I know of is North Hampton.
Ahh, your on that side of CT, in that case I believe that's the only one over there.

CT has e85 stations but they are all for government use only, bummer

-Bink
Old Sep 9, 2011 | 06:24 AM

porting it will have barely have any gains unless your making 700+, just upgrade your throttle body
Old Sep 9, 2011 | 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoPauly
porting it will have barely have any gains unless your making 700+, just upgrade your throttle body
An larger TB is pointless unless your IM is ported to accept it.
Old Sep 9, 2011 | 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Around 700 i think you need to go to a aftermarket one

Quick Reply: Porting factory intake manifold - yield gains or losses?