Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

broken rocker arms, does it mean bent valves ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken rocker arms, does it mean bent valves ?

Guys, I need your advice, I have an evo 8 with kellford tx272 cams, I had a problem with rocker arms, they broke and felt apart. Does this mean that I need to change valves as well ?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would for sure check. You may have too much oil pressure getting to the head causing the lifters to not compress. Just a thought.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Did you make sure they were on straight? I know they seem like it but if they aren't perfect they will pop off. As stated above check oil pressure, Another thing is too, what rpm you taking those up to, and what springs and retainers are you using?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
I would for sure check. You may have too much oil pressure getting to the head causing the lifters to not compress. Just a thought.
Well, the leak test is good, the only other way to check valves is to remove cylinder head, which I dont want to do. Now rocker arms are new.

Oil pressure was good, springs ...cant remember wich ones and the engine was spinned to 8500 revs.

The only question do the valves get damaged, when rocker arms fall apart ?

Last edited by YaroRS; Sep 17, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd check the valves for sure but there is a chance it just broke and the valve was just sitting closed the whole time.

Inspect and bleed all your lifters while your at it.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Do you mean the rocker was broken and if so, describe the damage? I'd heard of rockers coming off but not of broken rockers.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I could be wrong but the only way I can see a valve getting bent is if it hits the piston due to the timing being off.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

guys, what could be damaged in the cylinder head, when rocker arms fall apart ?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lets see if the rocker arm breaks depends on where the shrapnel gets lodged, could get lodged in the valve spring and cause an issue or any other place, the rocker arm also breaking could keep the valve seated open or close depending if it has pressure in the lifter. Theres numerous things that can be damaged by that, best bet is when you pull valve cover to inspect it check for metal shavings, another trick you can do is whereever the rocker arm broke, put an adjustable height pen magnet around that area, without touchin the head, if theres any debris that should help to pick up as much as possible. Was it just one rocker arm specifically?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
lets see if the rocker arm breaks depends on where the shrapnel gets lodged, could get lodged in the valve spring and cause an issue or any other place, the rocker arm also breaking could keep the valve seated open or close depending if it has pressure in the lifter. Theres numerous things that can be damaged by that, best bet is when you pull valve cover to inspect it check for metal shavings, another trick you can do is whereever the rocker arm broke, put an adjustable height pen magnet around that area, without touchin the head, if theres any debris that should help to pick up as much as possible. Was it just one rocker arm specifically?
Not one, several. Rockers were change, but the car isnt making any decent power. The owner doesnt want to remove cylinder head unfortunately. So I need to explain what could be damaged. But the shrapnel was all over the place.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow several rockers, thats not good, shrapnel isnt a good sign, if it gets into one of the oil galleys, thats gonna mess some **** up bad. best bet after swappin rocker arms, is to put an oil system cleaner in, try runnin it for a bit, then change the oil to say the least....good luck man. Unfortunately for the customer it might come to havin to remove the head.
good luck
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YaroRS
Not one, several. Rockers were change, but the car isnt making any decent power. The owner doesnt want to remove cylinder head unfortunately. So I need to explain what could be damaged. But the shrapnel was all over the place.
AFAIK rocker arms were not broken, but the rollers on several rocker arms just fell apart.