Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Follow up on previous thread about clutch fork

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Follow up on previous thread about clutch fork

OK guys...I'm lost...

I tried to take the transmission back off today but I got to the last part which was pulling it off and I found out that the throwout bearing was keeping it from coming off. Obviously I wouldn't have needed to take the trans off if I had known that the throwout bearing was latched to the wedge collar which I previously thought it wasn't doing.

So the trans wouldn't come off because the throwout bearing was on the wedge collar. I bolted everything back up and it seems like everything is back the way it was before which is confusing the hell out of me.

So my questions are:

1) Is this clutch fork in the "normal" position? Everything is bolted up as far as the trans to the block goes.

2) How much should I be able to push the clutch fork to the right (as in move the throwout bearing towards the clutch)?

3) Is it supposed to be damn near impossible to move the clutch fork to the left (as in the throwout bearing moves away from the clutch)?

Thanks a ton guys...here's a pic how it sits.

Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could easily help you but i have no idea what you are asking or trying to get at. are you trying to remove the trans? screw driver in inspection hole to pop the sucker off?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

No I'm trying to see if the throwout bearing is in the wedge collar like it's supposed to be. The questions in the original post are pretty clear...this is for reinstallation of the trans to the block.

Last edited by Babs; Sep 19, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like is reversed.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

What is reversed? The clutch fork? If that's what you're implying then, no, it's on the right way. Or are you talking about reversed in the sense of which side it's supposed to be on?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

Bump...any help?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Anybody?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The clutch fork needs to be on the right side and the slave cylinder pushes it to the left when the clutch is pressed in. Once everything is bolted back together, pull the fork to the right to seat the TOB into the wedge collar.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

i been thru this like 4 times with my tranny.. it looks like the clip popped off to me.. but on one of the times it happend my throw out bearing broke in have leaving one half on fork and other on pressure plate.. the fork should be set back more towars the cylinder.. and one of the times the ends of the fork snapped..
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

SHOULD be able to push it to the RIGHT and it will just compress the wedge collar spring

if you try to push to the LEFT it shouldn't be able to move (like trying to disengage the trans)

while your there you should buy a clutch fork stop to prevent it from popping out in the future
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DREVO978
i been thru this like 4 times with my tranny.. it looks like the clip popped off to me.. but on one of the times it happend my throw out bearing broke in have leaving one half on fork and other on pressure plate.. the fork should be set back more towars the cylinder.. and one of the times the ends of the fork snapped..
HOWEVER like he mentioned as far as the pos. it looks a little far left to me also.... the fork shouldnt be able to be moved to the left really at all and maybe 1/4 -1/2 in to the right
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well when I tried to pull the tranny off to fix this problem, it wouldn't come all the way out because the throwout bearing was locked into the wedge collar. So I bolted everything back up and it looks like this.

I mean if the throwout bearing locked on to the wedge collar and prevented me from removing the trans, that means it's on correctly, right?

And I can't move it to the left. If I really get some leverage, I can move it maybe a hair. I can easily move it to the right though.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

tow car to shop=less headache...just saying im off for a couple of days hurry up and get it running.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by localtoys73
tow car to shop=less headache...just saying im off for a couple of days hurry up and get it running.
I don't have that kind of money.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

seems weird.. did u try to peak thru the hole to see wats up.. taking these tranny off aint easy :/ lol..

Quick Reply: Follow up on previous thread about clutch fork