Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP im OVER BOOSTING

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
There exists a third, more primitive yet simpler method to control boost. If you want to safely drive yor car w/o overboosting in the meantime and until you get an MBC, or a factory boost hose assembly, then let me know and I'll walk you though the steps.

This "Flintstone" method would be just so you can drive your car in relative safety until you permanently resolve your boost control issue. We don't want you overboosting that nice Evo VI.

This "Flintstone" method..? I guess that involves dinosaurs and possibly Wilma??
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by novem
The guy says he has a MBC..N

Where did you read that he has an MBC? He mentions having a GREDDY electronic boost controller(see posts 7 & 10, this thread). GREDDY EBC's, such as the PROFEC B SPEC2, work with their own specific boost control solenoid.

At any rate, I agree with you that the easiest thing would be for the OP to get a manual boost controller.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 24, 2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by unihappytime
This "Flintstone" method..? I guess that involves dinosaurs and possibly Wilma??
Au contraire, the Flintstone method(aka "The Barney Method") is not in the least bit, off topic. It's just that, as a practical matter, I didn't want to bore everyone with explanatory detail if the OP has no interest in Barney Rubble's boost control methods.

In fact, Barney Rubble's techniques, although primitive, have proven to be quite effective in eliminating certain boost control issues. Whether, you choose to believe this or not is totally up to you. However, I for one am convinced that Mr. Rubble's methodology stands on its own merits and is therefore most certainly not OT!

Last edited by sparky; Sep 24, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Au contraire, the Flintstone method(aka "The Barney Method") is not in the least bit, off topic. It's just that, as a practical matter, I didn't want to bore everyone with explanatory detail if the OP has no interest in Barney Rubble's boost control methods.

In fact, Barney Rubble's techniques, although primitive, have proven to be quite effective in eliminating certain boost control issues. Whether, you choose to believe this or not is totally up to you. However, I for one am convinced that Mr. Rubble's methodology stands on its own merits and is therefore most certainly not OT!
I was talking about my post being off topic

In fact I would like to know more about it.

Last edited by unihappytime; Sep 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: update
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

To the OP....Is your car fitted with a boost gauge? Or are you relying on the digital readout of your GREDDY EBC. You are gonna need a dedicated boost gauge if you remove your EBC.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:09 AM

im even more lost now that when i posted my question

i have removed my Electronic boost controller and ran a hose from the turbo direct to the actuator.....i do have a AEM boost gauge installed which im using now to read my boost since i no longer have the EBC readout.....

i already have my OEM vacuum lines with the T connections and everything but i still kind find the solenoid

i guess i would need to go to the dealer for some help or find a dude that has an Evo VI to ask
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:23 PM

i just went through the Evo VI manual trying to find something about the location of the boost solenoid, unfortunately i could find anything helpful but what i did find out is the below

F WASTE GATE ACTUATOR OPERATION CHECK
Using a tester, apply a pressure of approx. 100.0 kPa (12.5 PSI) to
the actuator and make sure that the rod moves.
Caution
Do not apply a pressure of more than 113.3 kPa to the
actuator. Otherwise, diaphragm may be damaged. Never
attempt to adjust the waste gate valve.

since i have been hitting around 28psi which is way more than the 100kpa limit is there a chance that i messed up my actuator and i just need to get an upgraded one that can handle higher boost????
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about your generation of Evo, but on the VIII's and IX's the boost control solenoid is located under the air filter box. You'd need to remove the bottom of the air box to access it.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:43 AM

gooood news i finally found the little solenoid bastard....its not hooked up so re did it as per the stock piping and i still over boost....i think its cuz i killed my actuator...will fit a new actuator that can handle higher boost levels and hopefully it solves my problem
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya sparky, I thought he said MBC..my bad. For the OP, get a MBC and turn down the boost..what octane gas are you using over there?

N
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Evo TME;9635545]gooood news i finally found the little solenoid bastard....its not hooked up so re did it as per the stock piping and i still over boost....i think its cuz i killed my actuator.../QUOTE]

Did you install a factory boost hose assembly? These contain two little "pills", or orifices without which you're likely to continue over boosting when using the factory boost control solenoid. If you just installed the BCS and regular hose without the pills you are not gonna be able to control boost as per factory spec.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:35 AM

i have already checked in regards to the "pills" and evo VI TME's do not have these pills in the piping...the car is running better now and i already did an actuator pressure test and found out that the actuator is leaking big time....im planning to buy the Forge actuator instead of the oem replacement and see how it goes

any thought in regards to the Forge actuator?? good choice??bad??? other recommendations???
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

IMO, the Forge WGA is priced a bit high for what you get. I mean it looks nice. But the Forced Performance 18 PSI actuator costs about half as much as the Forge Racing unit.

Whichever you decide to get, make sure to specify that you want a WGA for the VIII(in your case VI) turbo. The actuators for the IX vs the VIII turbo are not interchangeable.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 01:20 PM

cool man thanks for the very helpful tip...i just saw the FP actuator and im considering buying it due to the good price like u mentioned...