Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Koyo or Mishimoto Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, search around. This topic has been discussed at length.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

It irks me to no end that people are touting mishimoto radiators and I/Cs as if they're quality. I have witness numerous race engines blow because these things fail. But if you NEED one ASAP, go for it...if you can save for another month, go for the KOYO.

I'm going with the fact that the CBRD radiators are not made in large volumes, thus being more expensive...not necessarily higher quality or higher performing
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Import tuner tested our 1" rad against the other brands mentioned and oem, it outperformed them all, but advertising dollars (we don't advertise in their mag, the others do) prevented it from going to print,

I'll see if I can get my hands on the data to post.

But as far as price, that is correct, we only do rads for specific applications and use multiple cores, we have over 8 applications for the Evo 8/9 alone.

Quality has it's inherent cost. Ask AMS, CARZ performance, forged performance, etc who they choose for their rad needs.

Cb
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:26 AM

go with cbrd
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boostless
It irks me to no end that people are touting mishimoto radiators and I/Cs as if they're quality. I have witness numerous race engines blow because these things fail. But if you NEED one ASAP, go for it...if you can save for another month, go for the KOYO.

I'm going with the fact that the CBRD radiators are not made in large volumes, thus being more expensive...not necessarily higher quality or higher performing
Nobody said their quality was bad *** but they work and do their job damn well for the money.

Doubtful on the failures, if one explodes it probably was a underlying issue and if it overheated probably the same reason.

I'd definitely say I wouldn't use their IC's.

Originally Posted by CBRD
Import tuner tested our 1" rad against the other brands mentioned and oem, it outperformed them all, but advertising dollars (we don't advertise in their mag, the others do) prevented it from going to print,

I'll see if I can get my hands on the data to post.

But as far as price, that is correct, we only do rads for specific applications and use multiple cores, we have over 8 applications for the Evo 8/9 alone.

Quality has it's inherent cost. Ask AMS, CARZ performance, forged performance, etc who they choose for their rad needs.

Cb
We all know your radiators are gangster, I'd buy one if I wasn't needing money for other more important parts.

The fact that they are half as small and cool just as well if not better points to the quality of them. Most people I think looking at mishimoto are wanting to replace the stock one for a good price because that was my case.

If I was building a really hardcore race car I'd hit you guys up. Hell I still may. We will see how the mishi civic radiator stands up the task.

Last edited by project_skyline; Sep 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I have a mishimoto mini radiator with a FAL fan. I run a built aluminum rod 2.0 with a forward facing 6765. I've driven it for almost 2 years in the Chicago 98+ degree heat and tons of street and drag abuse. I've sat in stop and go traffic without one single issue. It's also thinner than the koyo. I don't have an oil cooler neither. Cbrd are really nice radiators and koyo. I'd say all 3 brands are awesome quality. That's just my 0.2 cents on my results with a mishimoto radiator.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Nobody said their quality was bad *** but they work and do their job damn well for the money.

Doubtful on the failures, if one explodes it probably was a underlying issue and if it overheated probably the same reason.

I'd definitely say I wouldn't use their IC's.
You may be "doubtful on the failures", but what you're failing to recognize is that QC is not very high AT ALL with mishimoto...Hence why you hear of many of them blowing the caps of the top or welds breaking at the seams, which I have witnessed on Formula D cars and road race cars. I'm not saying that every single one will have a problem, you're just running a higher risk of those happening compared to note worthy brands.

CBRD takes the time to make sure their radiators are manufactured with quality in mind, not price. Koyo, is a TRUE OEM manufacturer, so quality is very high on their list. You will never see a Mishimoto logo on an OEM part.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Mishimoto has worked for me. U live in tropical weather. Temps get up to 100 degrees and its humid. Car stays super cool.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I run a Koyo here. When highway driving, my temp gauge doesn't see over a quarter. When in traffic, I usually see about an 1/8 under the halfway mark.... And that's with a pos XS Power FMIC and a 35r.