Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Single Clutch Disc for Launch and TrackDays

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Single Clutch Disc for Launch and TrackDays

Hello. I have to change the clutch of my Evo 5. I use the car for 1/4 mile launch and trackdays. The engine is:

2.0L Forged,Cams,Exhaust 3",E85,and stock turbo(upgrade for a 25g soon) with a 2 bar pressure and 540nm of torque. Look around to 500hp with a new turbo.

Which clutch for this Specs ?? Alcon, ACT, Exedy żż??

Thanks !!!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

OS giken
Old Oct 6, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an ACT extreme clutch kit with a 6 puck disc and a prolite flywheel on my evo 8 and i love it,great modulation and soft engagement(after a bit of practice) and good launching (1.7 60ft) so far,also grip is outstanding,i'm pushing 400tq at the wheels on a stock evo 9 turbo and so far it's taking the abuse like a champ with no other problems.I haven't done any track days on it so i don't have any experience on that front,however there are a couple of roads that i frequent quite a bit that allow very spirited driving and heel and toe with this set up is awesome,just my $.02.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks !!! The ACT 6 puck is a good option for me,but I need to know if anyone has experiences on the duration of the piece with heavy use.

Any experiences with a Competition Clutch stage 4 ?? I read some not so good experiences ż?

Thanks and sorry my english !!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 02:04 PM

been using alcon 6 paddle clutches for the last 100,000 miles.solid strong clutch
Old Oct 8, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
For track and drag use it sounds like what you're looking for is the ACT HDG6.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

The best single disc clutch for the evo is the Carbonetics Carbon Blade. There is NO other single that can compare. anyone who says otherwise is not aware of the CCB capabilities.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Check out the ACT 3200 with a prolite flywheel. Pretty awesome and feels good to daily drive
Old Oct 8, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DJAfterShok
Check out the ACT 3200 with a prolite flywheel. Pretty awesome and feels good to daily drive
How is it at shifting over 8k rpm? Will it hold 600tq?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JSPturbo
Hello. I have to change the clutch of my Evo 5. I use the car for 1/4 mile launch and trackdays. The engine is:

2.0L Forged,Cams,Exhaust 3",E85,and stock turbo(upgrade for a 25g soon) with a 2 bar pressure and 540nm of torque. Look around to 500hp with a new turbo.

Which clutch for this Specs ?? Alcon, ACT, Exedy żż??

Thanks !!!
you really should consider something like an exedy twin. but if you must use single for what I assume is budget reasons, then most brands 6 puck with beefed up pressure plate work well. pass on after market fly. stock is best. already light. aftermarket are usually chrome-moly which has lower coefficient of friction over cast steel.

pros and cons of using spring center:

pros= quiet, smoother, less driveline shock
cons= doesnt handle hard launch well. springs can break clutch apart. also the extra weight of springs wont allow good high rpm shifting.

pros and cons of solid center disc:

pros= shift great, more durable for track launch.
cons= noisy during deceleration, can greatly accelerate wear to input splines. more shock to driveline.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by milford
The best single disc clutch for the evo is the Carbonetics Carbon Blade. There is NO other single that can compare. anyone who says otherwise is not aware of the CCB capabilities.
Too soon to preach that without more data. Ones mans experience with exceptional driving skill is not enough.

plus they are out of stock. was quoted mid november for next batch, you know how that can be delayed. especially with state of japan.

plus its almost cost of exedy twin which we know is good clutch.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
How is it at shifting over 8k rpm? Will it hold 600tq?
I would recommend this clutch for anyone that's under 500WHP with maybe 450TQ. I would shift at 8,500 and it never gave me any issues at first... It worked good for me for a few months for me and then I completely destroyed it... It wasn't a manufacture defect I blame my power level, the clutch was not made to handle that much.

It did drive like a dream though when I was just driving it on the street. Very "grippy" and easy to launch on. Personally if I didn't plan on going higher then 500 on my car i think it would of lasted a lot longer
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
you really should consider something like an exedy twin. but if you must use single for what I assume is budget reasons, then most brands 6 puck with beefed up pressure plate work well. pass on after market fly. stock is best. already light. aftermarket are usually chrome-moly which has lower coefficient of friction over cast steel.

pros and cons of using spring center:

pros= quiet, smoother, less driveline shock
cons= doesnt handle hard launch well. springs can break clutch apart. also the extra weight of springs wont allow good high rpm shifting.

pros and cons of solid center disc:

pros= shift great, more durable for track launch.
cons= noisy during deceleration, can greatly accelerate wear to input splines. more shock to driveline.
OK. I only use the car a few times on the street, but the use is strong and in the circuit too.

then, what options of clutch do i choose:

The Cheapest:

Competition Clutch Stage 4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compe...item563bba6106

F1 Racing Stage 4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RA...item5d2ba2008c

The Recomended:

ACT HD Extreme 6 Puck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACT-C...item564289c4c5

The same Solid Disc:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACT-H...item1e65ce8770

Exedy Stage 1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...item2c55bc003a

Alcon 6 paddle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alcon-230m...item2a1161aa53

Thanks !!!!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:46 PM

if you do go with a 6 paddle clutch and can afford it upgrade to the 240mm evo7-9 flywheel and clutch set up. just make sure you get the 5 speed version and not the 6 speed.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I gotta do some research but I think I might end up with the ACT HD Extreme 6 Puck once my RPS twin carbon carbon clutch slips again. $1100 for a rebuild

Quick Reply: Best Single Clutch Disc for Launch and TrackDays