Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mysterious whine?!? please help, ive searched

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^that still doesnt make any sense because there is still load on the tcase while im cruising in gear but when i take my foot off the gas in gear it goes away completely....
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The T Case "deathwhine" occurs any time the wheels are moving. In gear or in neutral.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
The T Case "deathwhine" occurs any time the wheels are moving. In gear or in neutral.
thats exactly what leads me to beleive that it isnt the "deathwhine". Im just not sure what else could cause a whine whenever the gas pedal is pressed in slightly..im stumped lol....i actually have a small leak which i beleive is coming from where the tcase and tranny meet but idk if that would cause a whine...i already drained and replaced fluids for the tcase and rear diff and it didnt help at all. Next is going to be my tranny fluid to see if that helps at all. Thanks for all the replies so far guys...keep em comin! Lol
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"get it check out before it turns into a bigger problem" FTW
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

^^^lol great advice...im already on top of that but im just trying to see uf i can find a solution before i take it to the shop since they are busy until next week and this is my dd
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same noise. Unlike the rest of this thread, I also have information!

It's the rear diff. The pinion bearing clearances aren't absolutely perfect from factory, and that in turn causes the pinion to engage the ring gear at an angle slightly off from normal under certain loads, which causes the whining. If you do rear diff bushings, it'll get louder as it transfers to the chassis better, that's where you see most people noticing it. The rear end is strong enough that there's nothing to worry about, my fluid's been out a couple times with nothing to worry about.

Solution A: Have the rear end rebuilt. No guarantee it won't come back with miles.

Solution B: Turn up the radio and dismiss it.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info. Ill definitely keep it in mind...
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I just noticed the exact same thing in my car bro. I've done a few launches lately and there is fresh fluid in tranny, t-case, and rear diff. My car has almost 80k on it. My friend thinks it's the rear diff. I may call a few shops tomm to see what they think. Only does it when I'm going 60+ and my foot on the throttle. Goes away when my foot is off the throttle.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramonski
Well im having this weird whine/humming sound and it obly happens when i give the car partial throttle and it immediately goes away once i let off the gas. Ive searched a lot but havent found anytging. It sounds like its coming from the rear of the car also. Maybe rear diff? I thought it was the t-case but everyone i talked to says that if it was the death whine i would hear it all the time no matter what. Please help me out.

-Ramon
Yeah, sounds like the rear diff. My WRX does this at about 60 mph. It turns out all the WRX's do it that were made around the same time. The mesh of the ring and pinion wasn't quite right from the factory.

If the noise isn't too loud and remains the same I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have axle boots slinging grease, that needs attended to.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds very much like your ring and pinion in the T-Case. I've had one go out on me before and the sound will travel through your drive shaft and make it seem like it coming from your rear differential. I thought the same thing thinking it was the rear diff and wasted my time and money rebuilding it. The whine is really loud on the highway during load and may or may not go away once put in neutral. It all depends on how bad you let it get. The more you drive on it the louder it will get.

Also if you replaced the fluid in the T-Case you probably didn't fill it all the way. An ACD transfer case will make you believe its full, but you have to let the fluid sit for at least 5 minutes to travel through the clutch packs and re fill it again.

Take my advice or leave it. I been through it all with these cars. I see lots of false information on here.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

^^^thanks for the advice man...its getting rebuilt as we speak...I will update this thread as soon as it gets back from shep
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

WickedIXMR....I have a feeling mine is coming from the t-case because if I listen closely it sounds like it originates from up front. Ugh! I just replaced my clutch too
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ramonski
^^^thanks for the advice man...its getting rebuilt as we speak...I will update this thread as soon as it gets back from shep
Looks like I may be doing the same thing soon lol but I need my timing belt done like NOW!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
Looks like I may be doing the same thing soon lol but I need my timing belt done like NOW!
Well at least if you send your tcase out to be rebuilt you can get your timing belt done in the mean time while its down lol
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:00 PM

Mine wines on deceleration with the tranny engaged.... likely the t-case I suppose. But with the clutch in and it's still wining that's a different story. Certainly not drivetrain related right? Unless your rear diff is locked up and making noise.

Quick Reply: mysterious whine?!? please help, ive searched