Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mysterious whine?!? please help, ive searched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by jstride
Mine wines on deceleration with the tranny engaged.... likely the t-case I suppose. But with the clutch in and it's still wining that's a different story. Certainly not drivetrain related right? Unless your rear diff is locked up and making noise.
If the wheels are turning the transfer is running.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^yup ..
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:41 AM

I had a speed dependent sound like this and only in 3rd, 4th, and went away in
5th after 65. It turned out to be my tranny burned those gears up, t-case was still good. If by bouncing you mean it would get louder then softer then louder again, I would say have the tranny looked at. That is what mine did before it finally gave out and blew!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramonski
Well at least if you send your tcase out to be rebuilt you can get your timing belt done in the mean time while its down lol
Well not exactly because I'll be trailoring my car down to AWD motorsports in florida for the timing belt job, cam install, and tune....
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well at least if you send your tcase out to be rebuilt you can get your timing belt done in the mean time while its down lol
I have a local shop here that does some work for me and he's a good friend of mine too. Does great work so I'm gonna take the car to him pretty soon so I can send the t-case off to Shep! Now I'm just trying to decide what all I should have done to it....
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Well if money isn't really too much of an issue I would definitely go stage 2 and if you race consistently then you can add the Quaife LSD upgrade to it and that would definitely be one solid tease. Personally I just went with a basic stage 1 without any additional work because I was on a real tight budget. Mine is still at sheep getting rebuilt, I'm really looking forward to getting my car back already lol
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I know the bounching noise you mean...I think....Mine does it when I'm 1st and if I either pop it into neutral real quick or if I push the clutch in I forget which all while braking,

But I forgot to look to see what clutch you had but if you have an aftermarket clutch (like exedy's with its own flywheel anyway) or I'm sure any aftermarket flywheel it acts like a megaphone and it multiplies the drivetrain noise and makes it seem like you have bad trans/TC bearings or something. Mine deff does it with my exedy triple, I can hear the different accel and decel sounds when I get on and off the gas. So if you have a different clutch which is about 95% of evo owners and the new tc rebuild doesnt fix it it might be this...or trans related.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Well if money isn't really too much of an issue I would definitely go stage 2 and if you race consistently then you can add the Quaife LSD upgrade to it and that would definitely be one solid tease. Personally I just went with a basic stage 1 without any additional work because I was on a real tight budget. Mine is still at sheep getting rebuilt, I'm really looking forward to getting my car back already lol
I do go to the dragstrip as much as I can. And I'll be making more power soon so it would prolly be a wise choice to go ahead and upgrade to a stronger ring and pinion. I'd suggest doing a set of bushings for the driveshaft while its down. Really cheap. I'll be doing it when I send my t-case off to Shep.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
might have missed it, but OP what kinda clutch are u running?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running an exedy clutch setup plus flywheel combo
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
so its a twin exedy or single? if its a twin, my guess ir ur floater plate.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just in case others are reading this to find out some averages or feedback. My Tcase blew on the way home from Chuckwalla raceway. The sound it started making during the day was intermittent. Completely irratic. Sometimes sounded ilke the front, sometimes the rear diff, sometimes only when turning right, then only on power, then next time only off power in neutral. So thought I am a logic guy, and the post responses are helpful about weather its rolling or not, my experience was different. I don't drag race so the Tcase doesn't take a log of abuse, but road racing creates a lot of heat continuously. I cooked mine and it was noisy, then fine, then noisy again, but different then fine, and finally on the freeway it sounded like the drive shaft fell out. Ring and Pinion gone.

I think you made the right choice sending it to be rebuilt. I am still picking my shop....
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mbartel
Just in case others are reading this to find out some averages or feedback. My Tcase blew on the way home from Chuckwalla raceway. The sound it started making during the day was intermittent. Completely irratic. Sometimes sounded ilke the front, sometimes the rear diff, sometimes only when turning right, then only on power, then next time only off power in neutral. So thought I am a logic guy, and the post responses are helpful about weather its rolling or not, my experience was different. I don't drag race so the Tcase doesn't take a log of abuse, but road racing creates a lot of heat continuously. I cooked mine and it was noisy, then fine, then noisy again, but different then fine, and finally on the freeway it sounded like the drive shaft fell out. Ring and Pinion gone.

I think you made the right choice sending it to be rebuilt. I am still picking my shop....
Shep all the way man....his transmissions and t-cases are in some of the fastest EVO's in the country. I have his trans and couldn't be happier
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

I get it in 3rd, 4th and 5th. It gets a little louder at around 55-60mph. Also, it sort of bounces if that makes it any sense at all. Like if im accelerating and i let off the gass it sort of sounds like its bouncing as the car bucks a little back and forth. I really dont know how to explain that part too well.
When the car whines at 55-60mph its the transfercase ring and pinion. Be prepared to pony up about $2000 with install to get that unit replaced with a used one. New ones are like $3800 + install
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that whine in my car too and I was gonna start a thread on it until i found this one. The whine is more noticeable at speeds above 40mph. Some days it seems its louder than others. The sound is only there under throttle. Goes away if I lift my foot off the gas or if i put it in neutral. It sounds like the sound comes from the rear but its hard to tell. I hope that one guy is right who said it has something to do with imperfect bearing clearances in the rear diff but that its nothing to really worry about. Although it is annoying and as loud as my car already is, I'd rather only hear my exhaust and music without adding a high frequency whine on top of that. I'm changing all my drivetrain fluids soon and hopefully that does something bur from what I've read...it wont

Quick Reply: mysterious whine?!? please help, ive searched