Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mysterious whine?!? please help, ive searched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what gear oil are you using in your t/c? sometimes a swap to a better gear oil muffles the noise down, and if u change the t/c oil, look for metal shavings in the fluid that also gives a good indication of wear in the t/c. But noises, dont get me started on mine. Another possibility it could be other then wheel bearings, t/c or rear diff. Dont rule out it might be a power steering pump whine you might be hearing. Your best bet is to have multiple people in the car, try left turns and right turns see if you make the noise more apparent, shake your tires on jackstands at 6 and 12 o clock position to see if wheel bearings are loose. Try changing your p/s fluid and t/c and rear diff fluid, see if the sound alters, or disappears. Then if it does you know its with one of those 3 parts.
Good luck and hope it dont break the bank
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently installed the rear torque solutions diff mount bushings, then i took it around the block and pulled on it a few times, and in the process i was banging gears(shifting fast and hard) to see the improvement of the bushings. (i did not 2step launch it however, always a bit roll then floored it). The next morning on my way to school i hear a whine in 5th gear going about 70mph, so i shifted to 4th to see if the whine was only in 5th, but 4th had the whine as well just not as loud. when i put it in nutreul the whine goes away however. Could it just be the bushings i just installed or is it the tc?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am not familiar with those specific bushings, can you post a pic or link. If they are solid then you could get significantly more noise throughout cabin, however the rest you describe could be Tcase. You could try a couple of labor tasks to isolate. One trick I have done is to slightly overfill the Tcase with a hand pump filler with the car jacked up only one side to tilt. (This is dangerous so be careful, but ramping one side can do it too). This is just to see if you can modulate the sound with more fluid in the Tcase. If you can, then its more suspect of the Tcase. Then redrain to appropriate level.

You could also of course de install the bushings, and if your sound goes away, bingo, your Tcase is fine. I know this is a PITA, but these are the steps that don't cost money, just time.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:40 PM

http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-ev-007.htm

thats the rear bushing...and the install was too complicated to redo it
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

just wanted to update the thread...didnt get mine rebuilt by shep after all, I ended up just buying a low mileage tcase from someone i know....installed it and that fixed the whine so im happy lol