Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011 | 05:56 AM

Boost Issue

So for some reason I cant get my car to hold gate pressure. I need to do this so I can correctly setup my HKS EVC but when I turn the unit off it just free boosts. This started because I had a Profec B that would not hold any boost at all so I got a HKS EVC.

I have replaced all my boost lines and checked the actuator using an air compressor. Linking the 2 lines together also results in perfect gate pressure. When I put it back to the EVC and turn the unit off it free boosts. Turn it on and it seems to control boost the way it should for the most part but there still must be an issue somewhere.

I am completely stumped. Does anybody have ideas before I just drop it off at the workshop and tell them to not call me until it's fixed?
Old Oct 15, 2011 | 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

You might try using a MBC, and see if it will hold the boost you set.

N
Old Oct 15, 2011 | 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Monkeysphere
So for some reason I cant get my car to hold gate pressure....when I turn the unit off it just free boosts. This started because I had a Profec B that would not hold any boost at all so I got a HKS EVC....
Maybe you should have left well enough alone. LOL
Old Oct 15, 2011 | 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Seriously though, I like novem's suggestion of testing a basic MBC. The EBC's are technicalyl marvelous devices but they should only be installed on a setup that has had all the bugs ironed out beforehand.

Since you are experiencing preexisting boost control issues then it might be best IMO to isolate the cause of the issues. Solve the problem first. Once solved, then you can go ahead and install the ebc.
Old Oct 16, 2011 | 03:17 AM

The car had an EBC before. For years, was tuned with it ran very well with it then just stopped working. After plumbing the 2 boost lines together and it making gate pressure fine I believed it was the EBC.

I have tried plumbing the lines together on 3 occasions and every time it has made gate pressure. Well just because this was annoying the hell out of me I just plumbed them together again and what do you know....free boosting. I think possibly the actuator was on its way out before and it was just blind luck that it was holding gate with the lines put together.

So off with the actuator I suppose. I checked it only a couple days ago with compressed air and it worked fine....oh well.