Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th gear popping out on load?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5th gear popping out on load?

Just got my back from a 2.3 build and currently in my break in period. While taking it easy, usually coming from a stop, once I hit 5th gear (5 speed), the gear seems to pop out and end up in neutral. I tried driving in final gear of 4th within the rpm range and it does not pop out. The only thing that was changed during my build is it was noticed I had a 6 speed clutch fork which was replaced with a 5 speed clutch fork. Earlier this year my tranny and TC got an overhaul via Sheptrans and did not have this problem before the engine build. Since installing the tranny, my car has only been driven maybe 1000 miles. Once it pops out, I put it back in gear and everything is perfect. No signs of bad synchros, my Exedy Twin is running like a champ, no slipping or grinding. This afternoon I'll check to make sure it has enough tranny fluid. Any other suggestions on what to check out? Would adjusting the clutch pedal help any? Have under-hood bushings already. The shift linkage looks correct and is locked into position like it should. I have a fork stop installed if that helps. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Checked fluids, everything on point. Took a cruise this morning and if I shift @3500ish rpms, it doesn't do it as much. If I shift 4Kish, it's about 80% of the time it will pop out. I'm not shifting any higher due to my break-in. Once I pop it back into 5th, no problems. If I downshift to 4th, speed up to 4K, it doesn't do it. Seems to happen only when I'm going from a complete stop (or just coincidence)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motor mounts?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:37 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard to say without pulling apart your tranny. If you try to shift at a really low rpm like 2500, then it works all the time?

I would try to look for any variables between when your transmission worked and now that it doesn't. Not sure if the clutch forks for 6 and 5 speeds are different, but I would try not to change parts if possible.

Last edited by fre; Oct 16, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

No motor mounts, balance shaft removed. Yeah I started my research and it seems that there are no differences between 6 speed or 5 speed clutch fork. I'll have to try to shift at 2500 and see what it does. What's odd about all this is the piece that pushes the clutch fork prior was actually in almost an angle, wasn't sitting flush. Now that it was replaced, the shift feels smoother...until 5th. The clutch fork is centered as it should be. This morning I'm taking out he battery and intake and making sure the linkage isn't damaged. I've read somewhere about taking the tranny shell out without taking the tranny completely out to check a bolt that might be loose. The tranny shouldn't have been touched one bit, so don't foresee that. I'm not about to drop the tranny, I've driven the car a total of 1 1/2 months this year and its my DD. Trying all other options before having to do that...again.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Think I got it. replaced the one OEM shifter bushing with aftermarket. Just judging by 5 mile test drive (getting ready for work), it didn't pop out of gear once.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by snafufx
Think I got it. replaced the one OEM shifter bushing with aftermarket. Just judging by 5 mile test drive (getting ready for work), it didn't pop out of gear once.
But how was that OEM shifter bushing causing it to pop out?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad synchro is my guess, or bad slider. Popping out of gear under load is a sure sign. my .02.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Synchros fine, again just got rebuild by shep trans. When I pulled the rubber bushing out, the brass carriage and more rubber basically welded itself onto the fork. My guess is the bushing with it being damaged gave a lot of slack. I drove 30 miles to work a bit ago and not one time did it pop out, coincidence or not, as of right now it works like it should. I posted another thread about this concerning the rubber bushing:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-bushing.html
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gadzooks man! Well this has all been very fascinating.