Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

--- Clutch Assistance ---

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
--- Clutch Assistance ---

Greeting from Afghanistan, my EVO family. Well, the time is narrowing down for me to make my clutch selection of choice. I have looked at quite a few clutches here in my down time and quickly learned that I do not want a clutch that is beyond the goals of my build. By "beyond" I am referring to price wise as some cluthces are over $2,000. I am silly to believe that I can find a clutch that will suit my needs and goals without costing more than $1,000. I am looking for a clutch that can easily hold 500wtq and is still capable of high RPM shifts in the 8.5-9K RPM range. I spend most of my time on the street but like to drag race when I have the time. I have MAP EF3 with all the supporting parts and will be running E85. Would I also have buy the flywheel for the clutches I am looking at? Thank you in advance.

1. Power Train Technology Twin Clutch w/Organic Disc: http://www.maperformance.com/powertr...j2x6txx63.html

2. ACT Wide-Array of Clutches: http://www.maperformance.com/act-hea...-mb7-hdss.html

If all else fails, I will purchase one of the following:

1. QM: http://www.maperformance.com/quarter...28954463..html

2. Exedy Cerametallic: http://www.maperformance.com/exedy-h...h-kit-evo.html
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man. first and foremost, thank you for your service. stay safe out there and get home soon.

on to clutches. honestly if your looking for a good DD clutch that can withstand track you should consider an exedy twin disk. a lot of vendors have great prices on them (cough MAP cough) and offer good military discounts (cough Spec-Ops cough). super smooth, light pedal feel, holds power like a mother.

i know I will get a ton of different stories, but as I am sure you have read, ACT has HAD issues with high rpm lockout and if your going to be shifting around 9k its something to consider (dont own one, cannot tell from experience.)

exedy would be my first choice, then start looking at QM (life span not as great), CM makes a twin disk now etc. Most of the twins include a flywheel so take that into consideration. cheers and gl with the buiild!

PS: Thoughts on the EF 3 turbo?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

+1 Thank you for your services as well!!

Why are you shifting at 8.5k-9k? That Ef3 will fall off wayyyyyyy before then. Shift points with that turbo will be under 7500 for sure. I have't looked at many dynos but from what I understand it's similar to a red. An ACT xtss will hold up to 400-450 really well for a long time and if installed correctly will not lock you out at 7500 RPM but they can't be shifted NEARLY as fast as the QM, or others. I can't picture the ACT doing too well though at 500 ft lbs, especially taking it easy. I have an ACT in my car and it's held up really nicely so far but it has locked me out. I'm thinking it's an install error, the guy before me installed it. I've read if you prep the input shaft and make sure it's perfect and lubricate it then it should help tremendously.

I say either the quartermaster 8 leg or the new one when it comes out. Just not a fan of the exedy's for some odd reason although most have good success with them. They do last longer than the QM but will not shift as fast, and some have experienced lockout with them. Most of my info comes from reading on here and not real world experience. I don't think too many people have thrown 500+ at an ACT so I'm not sure how it will hold up but it may surprise us. But I will say the fastest shifting i've ever seen was does on a QM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jonzie04

Why are you shifting at 8.5k-9k? That Ef3 will fall off wayyyyyyy before then. Shift points with that turbo will be under 7500 for sure. I have't looked at many dynos but from what I understand it's similar to a red. An ACT xtss will hold up to 400-450 really well for a long time and if installed correctly will not lock you out at 7500 RPM but they can't be shifted NEARLY as fast as the QM, or others. I can't picture the ACT doing too well though at 500 ft lbs, especially taking it easy. I have an ACT in my car and it's held up really nicely so far but it has locked me out. I'm thinking it's an install error, the guy before me installed it. I've read if you prep the input shaft and make sure it's perfect and lubricate it then it should help tremendously.

I say either the quartermaster 8 leg or the new one when it comes out. Just not a fan of the exedy's for some odd reason although most have good success with them. They do last longer than the QM but will not shift as fast, and some have experienced lockout with them. Most of my info comes from reading on here and not real world experience. I don't think too many people have thrown 500+ at an ACT so I'm not sure how it will hold up but it may surprise us. But I will say the fastest shifting i've ever seen was does on a QM.

Edit: Haven't seen anything on that PTT clutch, but I'm going to have to do some results. Looks pretty promising at 700 bones.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedtres
hey man. first and foremost, thank you for your service. stay safe out there and get home soon.

on to clutches. honestly if your looking for a good DD clutch that can withstand track you should consider an exedy twin disk. a lot of vendors have great prices on them (cough MAP cough) and offer good military discounts (cough Spec-Ops cough). super smooth, light pedal feel, holds power like a mother.

i know I will get a ton of different stories, but as I am sure you have read, ACT has HAD issues with high rpm lockout and if your going to be shifting around 9k its something to consider (dont own one, cannot tell from experience.)

exedy would be my first choice, then start looking at QM (life span not as great), CM makes a twin disk now etc. Most of the twins include a flywheel so take that into consideration. cheers and gl with the buiild!

PS: Thoughts on the EF 3 turbo?
I appreciate the love about serving, my friend. I spent 14-years in the Army and now in my third year as a defense contractor. The days are moving pretty fast here and my leave is set for early March. I cannot wait to see and spend time with my family. I did not know that Spec Ops offered a military discount. I was pretty pleased with the prices as they were. One of my buddies that autocross voted in favor for the Exedy. For the lock-out issues with the ACT, I do not want anything that has a history of locking out. I want to do things right the first time. As for my thoughts of the EF3, I do not know as it is sitting in my garage waiting for me to get home.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jonzie04

I have to say that I believe the EF3 will perform well up to 8K RPM. I was shifting at the drag strip right at 7.2 and this was with the stock VIII turbo. I am tracking on the ACT and I might not get up to the 500wtq mark especially since I will be on a built 2.0L. That said, the ACT XTSS may work rather well but like our fellow member stated earlier, I am not a fan of locking out issues. I like the fact that you have had personal experience with the Quarter Master.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

A little Afghanistan cold weather bump...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Bump.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 09:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm considering either the QuarterMaster 8-leg street twin or the Carbonetic Blade Pro. Both claim low MOI. The Carbonetic is more DD oriented, while the QM street twin will be a bit noiser and a bit more harsh, but will be able to handle whatever power I put through it.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I'm considering either the QuarterMaster 8-leg street twin or the Carbonetic Blade Pro. Both claim low MOI. The Carbonetic is more DD oriented, while the QM street twin will be a bit noiser and a bit more harsh, but will be able to handle whatever power I put through it.
I see. At this point, I am leaning towards the Exedy. That can all change with real-world feedback.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I see. At this point, I am leaning towards the Exedy. That can all change with real-world feedback.
From what I hear, the Exedy twin is fine if not being launched. It doesn't last too long under high power launch conditions though. The triple is needed for that. I got to drive a twin on a stock-ish Evo 8 about a year ago. It was reasonably easy to engage, but it liked to bark during engagement and of course it has the rattling box-o-bolts sound when the clutch is disengaged. Not horribly loud though.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

From what I hear, the Exedy twin is fine if not being launched. It doesn't last too long under high power launch conditions though. The triple is needed for that. I got to drive a twin on a stock-ish Evo 8 about a year ago. It was reasonably easy to engage, but it liked to bark during engagement and of course it has the rattling box-o-bolts sound when the clutch is disengaged. Not horribly loud though.
I will be doing the frequent launch, my friend. My intent is to take the car to the drag strip about 1-2 times per month. I never fully dump the clutch from the line and chose the baby approach. I am more into it for the sheer enjoyment. I previously had one of the ACT clutch kits and did not have any issues with it at the drag strip but that was at the time when I only had roughly 380whp/400wtq. This time it will be different with just a tad bit more power.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I will be doing the frequent launch, my friend. My intent is to take the car to the drag strip about 1-2 times per month. I never fully dump the clutch from the line and chose the baby approach. I am more into it for the sheer enjoyment. I previously had one of the ACT clutch kits and did not have any issues with it at the drag strip but that was at the time when I only had roughly 380whp/400wtq. This time it will be different with just a tad bit more power.
If you want to go Exedy, I think you're going to need the triple.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Dang. I was afraid you were going to say that.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Would this be overkill?

Quick Reply: --- Clutch Assistance ---