Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Maximum power with stock-like drivability?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lostmexican
So, I have a friend who has went through multiple transmissions and also 2 excedy triple disc set up's and he is at 500 to 600hp range? So what clutch would be best for a 450 daily to retain stock drivability?
transmissions have many components and clutch choice is very critical. The higher the tq you run and more aggressive clutch, the drivetrain will feel the effects. Example 500 tq on stock trans and a clutch that can handle 600 tq. That clutch choice will hurt the drivetrain as opposed to using a smaller tq rated clutch that will slip. A good combo would be 400 tq on the carbonetic single disk clutch or a stage 1 exedy clutch for lower clutch #s. Many things can make trans blow, oil is a good place to start along with what tq rating and clutch, then go into gears etc

Last edited by Broham; Oct 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt057
It says he drives a 9 se under his name...

I was being sarcastic.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
lol For some reason I thought that you had a nine listed for your car as well.

-1 for my reading comprehension...

Anyway this all quite objective.

One person's feel of "stock-like" driveability will be different from someone else's opinion of the feel "stock-like" driveability. Its kind of like the "what is or isn't a street car" argument.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:53 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One person's feel of "stock-like" driveability will be different from someone else's opinion of the feel "stock-like" driveability.
Having all respondent actually know what stock drivability is like would go a long way toward solving the issue. Funny how that works.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
For stock like drivability, there is no power limit. It all has to do with what clutch and suspension setup you choose. Obviously, you can manipulate power according to throttle position no matter how much power you make. However, as a consequence of high hp, your clutch has to be upgraded to a more aggressive one, which is really the main reason why stock like drivability starts to disappear. Pedal pressure, rough engagement, and a bumpy ride takes away from the smoothness you get from stock cars. Make as much power as you want!
I already have an ACT clutch that I put in since my stock wore out and it's similar to stock, but noticeably harder pedal feel. It's still comfortable for me but my car is no longer stock-like. I have another car with a very heavy clutch that can be annoying to drive in traffic or any other situation where the clutch must be used frequently.

Besides the clutch, it seems that the more power you try to squeeze out of the engine the "rougher" it will run. You also alter the power band which means losing low-end and possibly mid-range torque. I'd like to retain the wide, relatively broad and flat power band the stock Evo has so I'm trying to get an idea of how far I can go before all that changes.

Originally Posted by FJF
300-350whp depending on dyno. A IX with a MBC, TBE and a great tune can have better than stock drivability. The more parts you add, the worse the car will drive compared to stock.
Right, I know that from past experience and I've tried not to add anything to my car that didn't provide a meaningful upgrade. I'm at 330 WHP now and aside from a slightly heavier clutch my car still drives like it did when stock, but faster.

Anyway this all quite objective.

One person's feel of "stock-like" driveability will be different from someone else's opinion of the feel "stock-like" driveability. Its kind of like the "what is or isn't a street car" argument.
Stock-like feel and ride quality is not subjective; it's how the car is/was when you bought it new and drove it off the dealer lot. Performance mods degrade the driving experience once they pass a certain point and I'm just interested in seeing where that point is for most people with the Evo. A possible variable could be the quality of the work done and parts used...but the difference in a person's tolerance for reduced feel/ride quality in exchange for more performance doesn't change how the car behaved when it was stock.

Anyway thanks for the responses. Seems to me like the sweet spot for power mods is around 400 WHP +/- 20 WHP. I'd estimate that to be the point at which it becomes impractical to make more power without going to a larger turbo.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Compared to the average car on the street, the Evo hardly has stock like drive-ability from the factory. First, it has to be in the correct gear all of the time or the car falls on its face. Second, there is the turbo lag. Third, the car wants to pogo in second gear and can only be driven sedately in 1st with the up most of care. Finally, it rides like a lumber wagon. So, we are arguing about what degrades the car from that. Funny.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
For stock like drivability, there is no power limit. It all has to do with what clutch and suspension setup you choose. Obviously, you can manipulate power according to throttle position no matter how much power you make. However, as a consequence of high hp, your clutch has to be upgraded to a more aggressive one, which is really the main reason why stock like drivability starts to disappear. Pedal pressure, rough engagement, and a bumpy ride takes away from the smoothness you get from stock cars. Make as much power as you want!
SO TRUE
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Feeling is a subjective word. One person will be more sensitive than another. Changing the tires will affect the handling. But will you push it to the point to notice the change? Some may others may not.

If you want stock like handling and performance then stay stock lol. More than that then it is really up to you as to what you are able to put up with. There is no magical number that someone else will be able to feed you.

Last edited by mt057; Nov 20, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:40 PM

base on some stuff i read here. i order some stuff for my car.. full ETS intercooler with pipes top and lower the shorter route. also intake and exeddy twin clutch. close to 2600 in parts hoping to get close or around 400 awhp. i also daily drive my car.. my tranny is also getting a rebuild from sheptrans. evo 8 3 and 4 gear that is under warranty.. by the way that's with stock turbo.. all this is going in after new years..
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:23 PM

My IX drives very nice. I just added S1 cams and it seemed to improve the low - mid range power. Recent tune made 380 awhp/340 tq. I need to add an intercooler and ported intake manifold. Should get around 400 and a very fun car.

Current Mods: TBE exhaust ported hot side, megan ported O2 housing, Walbro 255, MAP short runner exhaust manifold
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Compared to the average car on the street, the Evo hardly has stock like drive-ability from the factory. First, it has to be in the correct gear all of the time or the car falls on its face. Second, there is the turbo lag. Third, the car wants to pogo in second gear and can only be driven sedately in 1st with the up most of care. Finally, it rides like a lumber wagon. So, we are arguing about what degrades the car from that. Funny.
I'm not talking "stock like" in comparison to a fckkin camry or something. I'm talking "stock evo" vs "modded evo" and only in terms of performance mods. Even subtle suspension mods (including tires) could change the characteristics of the car drastically so I'm not bringing those up.

As for what you said about the Evo, I don't completely agree with it being that bad. If you drive the a stock evo gingerly it will not "pogo". It will bog when the gear selection is off, but so will most cars. Turbo lag, at least on my IX, is minimal. In fact it's one of the most responsive turbo cars I've owned and I've had several. It's ride is rougher than a camry but I don't consider smoothness to be a benefit. Smooth-riding cars make me feel car-sick.

Feeling is a subjective word. One person will be more sensitive than another. Changing the tires will affect the handling. But will you push it to the point to notice the change? Some may others may not.

If you want stock like handling and performance then stay stock lol. More than that then it is really up to you as to what you are able to put up with. There is no magical number that someone else will be able to feed you.
I'm just talking about performance and driveability...not handling. For example, if you had bigger cams and cold weather, it could mean a rough idle where the engine "hunts" for the idle RPM. That would be a driveability issue related to performance mods and not really a "handling" issue.

The point of this thread is to see how far people have taken their rides without huge compromises in relative comfort. My car is already "modded" to some degree but it's fun to see if I can squeeze more out of it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
I think what would help you the most in retaining a comfortable, friendly, daily driver, specifically in terms of keeping low end,, is to keep the stock turbo. As a result you will still be able to net 400 - 450 awhp, but without additional turbo lag.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
one thing that def added drivability - spoolinup cop.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyTSi
>600!

I drive the car every day (50mile commute) in Seattle traffic! that includes some serious hills with stoplights as well as I5 bump-n-grind.

The 2.4 really makes a big difference in off boost drivability.

John-
+2.

Higher compression also helps. I barely have to get on it for my car stay with or pass traffic.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

You bought a EVO and you want the driveablility of stock, but want around 400awhp. Bottomline...........your not ever going to be satisfied once you start. LOL!! The only thing I miss is how fast boost started on my 9 turbo! But there's always a trade-off right!! Just my 2 cents!!

Quick Reply: Maximum power with stock-like drivability?