Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Maximum power with stock-like drivability?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Maximum power with stock-like drivability?

What is the maximum possible to push an Evo IX while maintaining stock driving characteristics? Basically, increase the car's power without giving up too much on the low end or mid range? Other things like reliability, idle quality and such would also be something to consider.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say high 400's. Something like a 2.3/2.4 with a smaller turbo like a FP Green or BBK-B and mild cams with stock flywheel and sprung hub single disc clutch sounds like a great vehicle to me.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:35 PM

Can the Evo handle 400+ on the stock drivetrain?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also depends on who tunes your car
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:24 PM

deppends on tune. but my friend running 380 all day.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

I'm 580 on stock drivetrain...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Lostmexican
Can the Evo handle 400+ on the stock drivetrain?
easily.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
For stock like drivability, there is no power limit. It all has to do with what clutch and suspension setup you choose. Obviously, you can manipulate power according to throttle position no matter how much power you make. However, as a consequence of high hp, your clutch has to be upgraded to a more aggressive one, which is really the main reason why stock like drivability starts to disappear. Pedal pressure, rough engagement, and a bumpy ride takes away from the smoothness you get from stock cars. Make as much power as you want!

Last edited by Pal215; Oct 19, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:51 AM

So, I have a friend who has went through multiple transmissions and also 2 excedy triple disc set up's and he is at 500 to 600hp range? So what clutch would be best for a 450 daily to retain stock drivability?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:11 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SsZERO
What is the maximum possible to push an Evo IX while maintaining stock driving characteristics? Basically, increase the car's power without giving up too much on the low end or mid range? Other things like reliability, idle quality and such would also be something to consider.
300-350whp depending on dyno. A IX with a MBC, TBE and a great tune can have better than stock drivability. The more parts you add, the worse the car will drive compared to stock.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
300-350whp depending on dyno. A IX with a MBC, TBE and a great tune can have better than stock drivability. The more parts you add, the worse the car will drive compared to stock.
That's debatable! There are plenty of parts you can replace on a stock car and pick up power and efficiency. I would say eventually you would start taking away from the drivability, but there are a lot of things to replace that will yield nice gains without sacrifice. Porting (intake manifold, exhaust manifold, hot side, etc), exhaust components (downpipe, exhaust, test pipe, etc.), intake (drop in, cone, maf pipe, etc.) , tune, boost increase, intercooler, etc.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:41 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JorgeYaHeard
That's debatable! There are plenty of parts you can replace on a stock car and pick up power and efficiency. I would say eventually you would start taking away from the drivability, but there are a lot of things to replace that will yield nice gains without sacrifice. Porting (intake manifold, exhaust manifold, hot side, etc), exhaust components (downpipe, exhaust, test pipe, etc.), intake (drop in, cone, maf pipe, etc.) , tune, boost increase, intercooler, etc.
Boost control, exhaust and tune were cited directly. The gains from the rest are marginal at best on a stock-ish IX. A quality FMIC can be a nice addition to the aforementioned setup with no apparent drivability issues.

Edit: Having just taken a quick look at your past threads, it seems like you bought a modded 6 year old Evo about two years ago and proceeded to mod it even further. Before trying to debate me, please explain how you know what a stock IX drives like.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 19, 2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: text
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Boost control, exhaust and tune were cited directly. The gains from the rest are marginal at best on a stock-ish IX. A quality FMIC can be a nice addition to the aforementioned setup with no apparent drivability issues.

Edit: Having just taken a quick look at your past threads, it seems like you bought a modded 6 year old Evo about two years ago and proceeded to mod it even further. Before trying to debate me, please explain how you know what a stock IX drives like.
I'm not trying to debate you! I was simply stating that your comment on the more you mod it the worse it becomes, is not exactly true. There are a lot of things that come into play, I agree with most of what you stated. However, I don't agree with your theory on the more you mod it the worse it becomes. I guess you need to own a IX to know anything about them!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
>600!

I drive the car every day (50mile commute) in Seattle traffic! that includes some serious hills with stoplights as well as I5 bump-n-grind.

The 2.4 really makes a big difference in off boost drivability.

John-
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JorgeYaHeard
I'm not trying to debate you! I was simply stating that your comment on the more you mod it the worse it becomes, is not exactly true. There are a lot of things that come into play, I agree with most of what you stated. However, I don't agree with your theory on the more you mod it the worse it becomes. I guess you need to own a IX to know anything about them!
It says he drives a 9 se under his name...

Quick Reply: Maximum power with stock-like drivability?