Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Compressor surge with Tial?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compressor surge with Tial?

I just bought evo number 3 and under half throttle or so im getting compressor surge. Im also getting it when boosting 4-10 psi. Im spiking about 27psi then tapering down to about 22. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that has nothing to do with the blow off valve. what is your setup?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur tbe with shearer dump, buschur street fmic with piping, and a fuel pump
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

it could also be an incorrect spring in the bov. I had surge with my tial cuz of the incorrect spring in it
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
that has nothing to do with the blow off valve. what is your setup?
this
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TiALSport
this
Whats "this" mean
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

it means that its your setup as n2oiroc said.

i would still check your vacuum at idle when at operating temp and check the spring on tial's website just to rule that out.

just my .02
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

do you have a dedicated vac line to the bov? or does it supply other things also? sometimes that can mess with the proper operation of the bov if im not mistaken
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erickponce
do you have a dedicated vac line to the bov? or does it supply other things also? sometimes that can mess with the proper operation of the bov if im not mistaken
I also have a boost controller hooked up to the vac line
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THE8UH8
Whats "this" mean
If you are getting surge at half, full or any other throttle position than closed, its not the bov assuming its plumbed correctly which it sounds like its not. Generally compressor surge is the turbo pushing out more air than the engine can handle. Ex. Wot at 2,000rpm in 5th gear.

Run a dedicated 1/4" min dia line to the bov and try again.

Last edited by n2oiroc; Oct 20, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
If you are getting surge at half, full or any other throttle position than closed, its not the bov assuming its plumbed correctly which it sounds like its not. Generally compressor surge is the turbo pushing out more air than the engine can handle. Ex. Wot at 2,000rpm in 5th gear.

Run a dedicated 1/4" min dia line to the bov and try again.
Thank you for your help man. I appreciate it
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Whats "this" mean
on throttle comp surge is the turbo itself going into surge and has literally nothing to do with the bov
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TiALSport
on throttle comp surge is the turbo itself going into surge and has literally nothing to do with the bov
I wasnt bad talking tial I can assure you, just wanted my car to run perfect
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
I wasnt bad talking tial I can assure you, just wanted my car to run perfect
I recently switched from the factory IX BOV to the Tial QR BOV and now have the same issue. Prior to the swap I was not experiencing the part throttle surging so I would say that it is contributed to the BOV.

A few things to understand about the stock bov vs. the tial unit. The stock unit utilizes a bottom port, which I don't believe is integrated on a Tial. Another factor is I am probably using too stiff of a spring. The bottom port pressurizes the underside of the diaphragm making the response very sensitive during light loading creating a pressure differential across the diaphragm. When you combine this with pressure on the valve it can allow the BOV to open.

The challenge when using a dual port BOV is it becomes more difficult to run higher boost pressures because the diaphragm is essentially neutralized under full boost(top/bottom see same pressure) so the spring force has to be larger than the force on the valve(exerted by the pressure) itself or the valve opens. In the case of the IX BOV most say it won't support more than 29psi.

My -8psi spring arrived today so I will try that first. I will look into adding a bottom port, but need to be able to control when it is on/off. Probably a hobbs switch with a solenoid will allow me to cut off the bottom port above 10psi or so.

I saw that TurboSmart makes a control unit for this exact issue and even tested it on an EVO, but I don't think sensing voltage decrease would help part throttle surging where voltage remains constant.
TurboSmart BOV Controller
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I recently switched from the factory IX BOV to the Tial QR BOV and now have the same issue. Prior to the swap I was not experiencing the part throttle surging so I would say that it is contributed to the BOV.

A few things to understand about the stock bov vs. the tial unit. The stock unit utilizes a bottom port, which I don't believe is integrated on a Tial. Another factor is I am probably using too stiff of a spring. The bottom port pressurizes the underside of the diaphragm making the response very sensitive during light loading creating a pressure differential across the diaphragm. When you combine this with pressure on the valve it can allow the BOV to open.

The challenge when using a dual port BOV is it becomes more difficult to run higher boost pressures because the diaphragm is essentially neutralized under full boost(top/bottom see same pressure) so the spring force has to be larger than the force on the valve(exerted by the pressure) itself or the valve opens. In the case of the IX BOV most say it won't support more than 29psi.

My -8psi spring arrived today so I will try that first. I will look into adding a bottom port, but need to be able to control when it is on/off. Probably a hobbs switch with a solenoid will allow me to cut off the bottom port above 10psi or so.

I saw that TurboSmart makes a control unit for this exact issue and even tested it on an EVO, but I don't think sensing voltage decrease would help part throttle surging where voltage remains constant.
TurboSmart BOV Controller
are you running a 1/4"-5/16" i.d. vacuum/boost line to the bov? tials are made to pass a lot of air on blow off and to do that they have a large valve which requires a lot of vacuum to open. if the line is not at least 1/4" and connected to a good manifold source with no restriction, you will never get it to work correctly.

Quick Reply: Compressor surge with Tial?