Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil in cylinder 3, please advise.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in cylinder 3, please advise.

I was in the process of tuning my car yesterday with Mr. Turco and during the first pull session, after boost leak test (passed with flying colors), the car was having spark blowout during hard pulls. So, we replaced the plugs with something to get by for the time being and see if they would foul out, too. Bought some crappy Autolite iridiums (not a terrible plug, just not the ones we wanted) and they have worse blowout, so don't EVER use them lol. Back to the point, while we were replacing the plugs cylinder 3 was very wet with oil (dripping off threads of spark plug). Now, the car runs well with no smoke and pulls hard at 17psi. The coolant looks crappy and brownish, possibly has some oil in it, so I'm thinking that the HG is starting to fail near clyinder 3. Are there any other ways oil could get into the cylinder? I've read HG, rings, valve seals. Has anyone run into this problem where just one cylinder is oily? Is there testing I should do to prove or disprove any of these possibilities? What should my compression be at? I'm new to the evo game and have only driven this car about 900 miles since prurchase (always had the MBC turned all the way down for engine safety). I feel like I bought a lemon...I've spent the past month replacing things (turbo, misc bolts, spark plugs, intercooler and piping, gaskets) cause I couldn't get it to run correctly and pass inspection.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No matter what we could throw (the guesses) at you the proof is in the pudding. Pull the head and see what the combustion chamber looks like.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:12 AM

^^I was fearing that...being new to this game, I'm not comfortable pulling the head myself and I assume that's a costly job from a shop.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by evol etg-zj2
^^I was fearing that...being new to this game, I'm not comfortable pulling the head myself and I assume that's a costly job from a shop.
Taking it apart is not so bad, it's putting it back together part that is more critical!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

That was probably fuel and now its gone. Use NGK plugs only
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:45 AM

It's definetely oil. There was oil under the rubber boot that seats the plug wires, too (on all wires). I wish it was fuel cause that's not a big problem, oil is. I think I'll start by removing the valve cover to see if it's leaking there. then I'll continue to move downward until a problem is noticed. :/
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just make sure you check the entire cylinder with a bore scope if anything.

You might have just had a bad valve cover gasket o ring at the spark plug seal. especially when you say it had blow out issues and it doesn't smoke.
Oil might have filled the spark plug galley(area where the wire goes to the plug)

Good Luck.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

It's definetely oil. There was oil under the rubber boot that seats the plug wires, too (on all wires). I wish it was fuel cause that's not a big problem, oil is. I think I'll start by removing the valve cover to see if it's leaking there. then I'll continue to move downward until a problem is noticed. :/

that gives it away right there..if theres oil on your spark plug boots then your leak is from the valve cover. 350zs have the same problem. i cant remember if the spark plug holes have replaceable gaskets if not i would use some silicone instead of having to buy a new cover.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:01 AM

My only problem with that theory is that the top of the plug was dry, no oil residue at all. It was only the lower portion of the plug. I'm going to check the clyinder with a bore scope ASAP. I'll do a compression check tonight to see if it's still holding pressure.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

My only problem with that theory is that the top of the plug was dry, no oil residue at all. It was only the lower portion of the plug. I'm going to check the clyinder with a bore scope ASAP. I'll do a compression check tonight to see if it's still holding pressure.
There probably wasn't enough oil in there to wet the top of the plug, besides the top is in the boot from the plug wire. If the plug itself has no oil residue on it i would replace the valve cover seal, o-rings and all. Then go from there. To me it sounds like the gasket. I've seen hondas, toyotas, fords actually have puddles of oil down in there from leaky valve cover gaskets.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:19 AM

I sure hope it's just that. I'll get myself prepped with the valve cover gasket, o-rings, seals, NGK plugs gapped to 0.22 and I'll go from there.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah go from there, report back.