Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

any one daily drive a Quartermaster twin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any one daily drive a Quartermaster twin

whats up does any one daily drive quartermaster twins with a hydraulic tob and if yes is there any problems that you had
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

i daily it. and only thing that bothers me is its a bit touchy. more like an on off switch. makes leaving a light or stop sign very difficult. but it can be done. also makes a **** load of noise but honestly i like it.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Took the words right out of my mouth!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, makes a bunch of noise, people will tell you your car is rattling at stop lights. Requires a seriously disciplined left leg, but honestly, it's my favorite clutch I've owned. Also, I have the old style one. the new 8 leg is far quieter.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by THUB
Yep, makes a bunch of noise, people will tell you your car is rattling at stop lights. Requires a seriously disciplined left leg, but honestly, it's my favorite clutch I've owned. Also, I have the old style one. the new 8 leg is far quieter.
Also qm came out with a street/strip twin which is even easier to drive on a daily basis
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Check out my review hope it helps: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=568782
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Is there a way to screw up the splines on the tranny with this clutch Bc I got one and I was reading about one guys Evo and he said that the clutch ate of all of the splines on the tranny
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive had both the old version and now the new version in my car and ive never had a problem
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

I have the QM 8 leg race version and it has been working great so far. My car is a designated track car but I drive it to and from work often. Huge fan of the push and hydraulic TOB setup, a bit touchy at first (Flywheel weight is definately designed around racing conditions) but you get used to it, just like the noises it makes. Not sure if I have heard of the spline issue on the 8 leg but only time will tell I guess.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

It took some getting used to, but, I like it. I've become so used to it that it makes me look like a fool driving anyone else's car that's a stick.

Originally Posted by evo1008
Is there a way to screw up the splines on the tranny with this clutch Bc I got one and I was reading about one guys Evo and he said that the clutch ate of all of the splines on the tranny
Pretty sure one of the friction disks rounded off the splines on my input shaft. I should have it apart to find out sometime in the next 2 weeks.

This was the first rebuild of the QM Twin, old style. Around 20K total use of the clutch between both sets of disks.

I'm nearly certain one major reason for the "gear drive" redesign to the 8-leg version(from the 6-leg old style I have) was to combat this happening.

Last edited by Bramage_Dained; Oct 26, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you live where hills are, it's pretty ****ty.

If it's flat, it's not too bad.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Besides the noise, its awesome after you get used to it haha
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

There's no way I would daily my car with the Quartermaster. It's the single mod on my car that takes away my appetite for DD use. The noise and engagement isn't the worse part.....it's the fact that I know every time I put miles on my car, the clutch is that much closer to needing a rebuild LOL. If I just put around 5,000-10,000 miles on the car a year that's only a 2-4 year rebuild period.

Best clutch I've ever driven period though and I'll never go back to a single pull-type design.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bramage_Dained
It took some getting used to, but, I like it. I've become so used to it that it makes me look like a fool driving anyone else's car that's a stick.

Pretty sure one of the friction disks rounded off the splines on my input shaft. I should have it apart to find out sometime in the next 2 weeks.

This was the first rebuild of the QM Twin, old style. Around 20K total use of the clutch between both sets of disks.

I'm nearly certain one major reason for the "gear drive" redesign to the 8-leg version(from the 6-leg old style I have) was to combat this happening.

What causes a problem like this I called QM they said they updated the design to a heat treated disc but they never really told me what is the cause
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the newer 8-Leg QM Race and love it for holding power and high RPM shifts. I don't daily drive it though and if I were going to I would go with the street version with the heavier flywheel.

Does anyone run a clutch pedal stop? Doesn't appear to be anything aftermarket and I might just make one.

Quick Reply: any one daily drive a Quartermaster twin