Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Short Runner T4 TS GTX3076R Experiment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
The placement of your passenger side wastegate could be a issue as its on only one runner and not at the point of merge (being the collector of course). I do see there being a problem there. Looks like you could have made it fit next to the other port which looks to be closer if not on the collector.

Other then that, looks good. Came out nice!
I noticed that as well. Looks like a fun project though!!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
The placement of your passenger side wastegate could be a issue as its on only one runner and not at the point of merge (being the collector of course). I do see there being a problem there.
What do you foresee to be the problem?

BTW, I think I have resolve the wastegate issue and will post some pictures tomorrow afternoon once I have completed the new pipe routing.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Oct 27, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

I figured out how to run the wastegates. I changed the routing of the DS wastegate directly into the downpipe and will tie in the PS wastegate before the downpipe and after the slip joint. I did not have enough room for the bellow so I used a double slip joint instead. Should have the other wastegate run tomorrow and will start on the downpipe.

Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

OK, I was able to resolve the wastegate issue.

Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice fab workk
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:02 PM

impressive work. very nice setup
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You will have higher back pressure on the one cylinder that is NOT being relieved by the waste gate (because of its placement on the runner from the single cylinder) and lower back pressure on the cylinder that IS being relieved by the entire waste gate. I don't know exactly how much that will affect your AFRs for those two cylinders but one will be rich, and the other lean.

With the geometry of your recirculation setup, I expect there to be a lot of turbulence across the exhaust flow out of the turbine when the waste gates are open as well...

It would be great to see if those effects could be measured...

I'll will also be interested to see how serviceable (on and off) the waste gate/downpipe combination configuration is after you heat cycle it a few dozen times and have to pull the downpipe. I had a similar setup with one gate on a earlier generation Mitsu and after it was run a few hundred miles it was on for life or you could never get it to fit again when you took it off because of the warping changes in the tubing after the heat cycling...

Last edited by CO_VR4; Oct 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
You will have higher back pressure on the one cylinder that is NOT being relieved by the waste gate (because of its placement on the runner from the single cylinder) and lower back pressure on the cylinder that IS being relieved by the entire waste gate.
Thank you for the input. Perhaps you are right and perhaps your are not...who knows. Without the ability to collect such data you are only guessing. I suspect it will find a way to balance itself, but again...who knows. If I had to do it again I would have placed the other wastegate at the collector and not on the runner, but that is because it would have made it easier to run the wastegate dumps.

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
I'll will also be interested to see how serviceable (on and off) the waste gate/downpipe combination configuration is after you heat cycle it a few dozen times and have to pull the downpipe. I had a similar setup with one gate on a earlier generation Mitsu and after it was run a few hundred miles it was on for life or you could never get it to fit again when you took it off because of the warping changes in the tubing after the heat cycling...
In all my previous projects I have never had this issue. Even in cases where I hard piped the wastegate without slip joints or bellows. In this case the bellow allows for a lot of adjustment and the slip does as well, but not as much. We shall see.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I started on the downpipe and made good progress, but did not have a chance to finish today.

Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:04 PM
Account Disabled

where did you get the piece of v band pipe for downpipe off turbo. i have been looking everywhere for some pipe like that. last piece i need to start my car;( please pm me thanks
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by longdingydong
where did you get the piece of v band pipe for downpipe off turbo. i have been looking everywhere for some pipe like that. last piece i need to start my car;( please pm me thanks
Mr. Dong,
Those can be acquired from ATP Turbo...

V-band flange from ATP
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

I finally finished the downpipe. I just took the downpipe I used to run (Greddy I think) and modified it for this setup. As you can see I made some minor changes to clear the ACD and line up with the new turbo. I still don't understand why they can't seem to offer a downpipe to clear the ACD as there is plenty of room.

I will take some pics from underneath the car once I finish the final weld and reinstall.

Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I am starting to put everything back on the car in preparation for starting this weekend. This is contingent on my perrin intake filter arriving tomorrow, but everything else will be complete. Pics below are of the downpipe installed and you will notice the bung on the side of the downpipe below the oil pan. I am going to run a test to see if the vacuum draw from the exhaust is greater than the turbo inlet.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Nov 3, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Any specific reason you ran a slip fit on one dumptube and not on the other...? Just curious. Everything looks great!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
Any specific reason you ran a slip fit on one dumptube and not on the other...? Just curious. Everything looks great!
Technically they are both slip fits, but one is a double slip and the other is a single slip over wrapped with a bellow. I would have preferred to run two bellows, but could not due to space limitations (diameter of bellow). Always a learning experience the first time.

Quick Reply: Short Runner T4 TS GTX3076R Experiment