Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Short Runner T4 TS GTX3076R Experiment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Hard to see, but I installed the Tial BOV today and it fit with no issue. I modified the stock return hose slightly by shortening and it fit with no problem. I think the -10 Psi (-20 in/Hg ) spring is a bit too stiff so I will likely change to the -8 Psi (-16 in/Hg ) white spring. Sorry for the poor pics, but it is tucked away beneath the IC pipe.

Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
that is uh........... very jammed in there
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe you are still running worm clamps
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I can't believe you are still running worm clamps
They are not standard worm gear clamps, but heavy duty versions. I have run these clamps for 4 years with no issues. Recently pressurized to 35psi and no leaks. I will likely change to t-bolt in the future just for aesthetics.

Heavy Duty Clamp
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you road test it with the 10 PSI spring installed and it exhibited drivability issues?

Last edited by sparky; Nov 20, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Did you road test it with the 10 PSI spring installed and it exhibited drivability issues?
Too much spring pressure for part throttle low boost. The BOV needs abrupt throttle stop and 10psi to open. This is more pronounced in 5th gear. I will change to the lighter spring to see if it solves the issue. The Tial unit is much louder than stock so that is kind of nice.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Too much spring pressure for part throttle low boost. The BOV needs abrupt throttle stop and 10psi to open. This is more pronounced in 5th gear. I will change to the lighter spring to see if it solves the issue. The Tial unit is much louder than stock so that is kind of nice.
ricer
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
ricer
It made me miss my TwinTurbo 240Z with the HKS Racing BOV...it would scare people when I let off the throttle. Speed Density FTW.

In all seriousness, this thing in 5th gear has surge issues. Part throttle acceleration ~5psi and you can hear the compressor surge and the car shutters. If the lighter spring doesn't work I will have to see about adding a bottom port to the BOV and then hooking it to some type of boost activated solenoid to shut off the bottom port above 10psi or so.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
It made me miss my TwinTurbo 240Z with the HKS Racing BOV...it would scare people when I let off the throttle. Speed Density FTW.

In all seriousness, this thing in 5th gear has surge issues. Part throttle acceleration ~5psi and you can hear the compressor surge and the car shutters. If the lighter spring doesn't work I will have to see about adding a bottom port to the BOV and then hooking it to some type of boost activated solenoid to shut off the bottom port above 10psi or so.
4-5th gear i get surge also if i start real low rpm.. reason being is you're flowing to much air to quick with to little load.. its only a 4 cylinder.. so when we got 60lb/min turbos trying to pack air in it gets overwhelmed.. its also really dangerous to be doing that to the engine.. i try to avoid that surge at any cost. loading the engine up is extremely abusive.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Well its time for more changes with the setup. More like it is time for me to install the GSC S2 cams that have been collecting dust on my shelf for almost 2 years. I thought I would take the opportunity to upgrade the intake manifold as well with the not so used Skunk2.

I plan to install just the S2's & springs this weekend so I can see the effects of each change. Once this is roughly dialed in I will swap the intake manifold to understand its contribution to the setup.

I know the Skunk2 gets a bad wrap, but I think this intake will out flow a ported stocker, which is why I sold the MAP Rev 2 intake. In looking at the Skunk2 intake it appears they fixed most of the issues/challenges from the original batch. I took a few pictures so that people can get a feel for this intake and I will document the install.

The first thing I checked was the ports by overlaying a stock gasket. It appears they did a good job of gasket matching the intake and cleaning up any casting material from inside the port. With that said, I could bolt it right on, but will likely take an hour and further clean up the ports to removed casting flash deep within the runner.

The last issue is that of the stock TB properly sealing on the intake. From the picture below I have overlayed the stock gasket(blue) and the supplied gasket(black) that came with the kit. If we assume the stock gasket is identical to the TB then there is an area where the overlap is only 0.100". While I think it would seal I am picky about these things. You can also notice they addressed the clearance issues with the two vacuum lines at the top of the TB as well as the interference with the TB linkage by milling reliefs in those areas.

I am generating a CAD drawing and will have a buddy of mine waterjet cut some spacer flanges out of 1/4" aluminum using the outside dimension of the supplied gasket and a 60mm hole for the stock TB. I will then use the supplied gasket between intake/spacer and the stock gasket between spacer/TB. I will probably cut some extra's with a 65mm hole for people wanting to use the ported stock TB. Anyway, I will update as progress is made on the cam swap.

As a general comment the quality of this unit is good. They also supplied the new dipstick tube, proper aluminum spacers for the fuel rail and a groovy Skunk2 sticker for ontop of the intake.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Dec 7, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great to see pictures showing the improvements they made for the intake manifold.

Who did you buy it from?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lazyfong
Who did you buy it from?
I purchased from Aaron at English Racing and got it within 3 days. Once I get the water jet cut flanges finalized for the stock TB I will be sending a bunch to ER so they can provide them with the manifold. I just finished the drawing and sent to a buddy of mine to have a prototype cut so I should have it early next week.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Dec 7, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to see the results with the intake manifold installed
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:23 AM
Former Sponsor

should do decent - we will see. nice to see they revised it and made it better. between the cams and this it should go over 500 on 93 id think.

now the question is , did they revise their fuel rail as well? they have a nice fuel rail, but it had major fitment issues from what ive read.

i sell skunk2 also btw. along with 200~ other brands lol.

Last edited by tscompusa; Dec 8, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

I got the two 0.25" aluminum flanges waterjet cut and shipped so I should have them by Tuesday of next week. I have a buddy local with a ported stock TB and gasket so I will see if it is compatible with the flanges. One flange has a 62.5mm (stock gasket) hole and the other is 66mm.

Quick Reply: Short Runner T4 TS GTX3076R Experiment