Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Road racing with a FF turbo setup, Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Road racing with a FF turbo setup, Can it be done?

This is more a general question specifically regarding the cooling capabilities.

1. Can road racing be accomplished using a forward facing turbo setup and half width radiator?

2. What factors would make or break it? Such as high quality radiator vs lower quality. Fuel type. Power level.

In my case I'll be running a LR2.4 with a EFR8374 SS t3 flange and e85. I want to make sure if this is something I do the cooling capabilities of the radiator can handle it otherwise I'll just go with standard style manifold.

Looking for input based on experience with road racing with or without using a forward facing setup, I don't care about your opinion on FF setups in general or anything else.

Last edited by project_skyline; Oct 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a FF setup on my galant, and on those hot summer days the radiator fan was always running, and I was not even road racing. You would need to pull a log of coolant temps, and see what your car is doing. Go beat your car around the block a few times in the heat and pull another log to see what your coolant temps are doing.

If my galant did not have beat *** suspension I would have for sure hit the track with it. The only way to find out is to go. Hit a cheap track day and test it.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I wouldn't, the sheer amount of debris, rocks, rubber, grass, sand, whole car parts coming at you at 100mph wouldn't be too turbo friendly. Cooling wise some people/setups struggle with the OEM turbo and radiator, cutting the rad capacity in half and doubling the heat/power isn't going to go very far for very long.

Last edited by Balrok; Oct 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FF setups are the new fad, it's just as dumb as hellaflush but much more costly when you finally break ****, instead of ball joints, axles, and tie rods you're destroying otherwise perfectly good turbos and motors.

You can't just throw parts at it because they're "popular" parts or it'll create a "cool" look. You need to do your research, think about what you want to do with the car and build accordingly. If you're going to do anything else other than trailer the car to and from the drag strip, then don't bother with the FF setup, it's not worth the dime.

Well, IMO, it's never worth the dime, but I'm just a realist, don't mind me.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I wouldn't, the sheer amount of debris, rocks, rubber, grass, sand, whole car parts coming at you at 100mph wouldn't be too turbo friendly. Cooling wise some people/setups struggle with the OEM turbo and radiator, cutting the rad capacity in half and doubling the heat/power isn't going to go very far for very long.
This.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cmspaz
FF setups are the new fad, it's just as dumb as hellaflush but much more costly when you finally break ****, instead of ball joints, axles, and tie rods you're destroying otherwise perfectly good turbos and motors.

You can't just throw parts at it because they're "popular" parts or it'll create a "cool" look. You need to do your research, think about what you want to do with the car and build accordingly. If you're going to do anything else other than trailer the car to and from the drag strip, then don't bother with the FF setup, it's not worth the dime.

LOL.

I am not sure how you came up with your info about destroying turbos and motors from a FF turbo setup. Also most FF kits have space for a filter, and buschur even has a grill block off plate.

I also love the fact that you said FF Turbo setup is just like Hella Flush, that is just so damn funny.

Photo so you can see what I am talking about.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/DSC02267.jpg

Last edited by TheBoz; Oct 27, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBoz
LOL.

I am not sure how you came up with your info about destroying turbos and motors from a FF turbo setup. Also most FF kits have space for a filter, and buschur even has a grill block off plate.

I also love the fact that you said FF Turbo setup is just like Hella Flush, that is just so damn funny.

Photo so you can see what I am talking about.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/DSC02267.jpg

I honestly agree with him to a point. A lot of people are just doing it because it looks cool and it's something new.

HOWEVER, the reason for doing it is better flow properties so you can actually get more powa out of a setup.

In short:

Do I think people doing FF on a stock turbo or stock frame turbo are just doing it for looks and it's completely unnecessary AND very kin to "hella-flush"? YES!

Do I think it has it's place on powerful drag cars that people are trying to extract every bit of power out of thier big-*** turbos that would probably require a half-width radiator just to run it NORMALLY? YES!

Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:24 PM

^^^^^^agree
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Nobody runs a turbo with nothing on it except maybe the drag strip. Most street cars run filters full time so there isn't a chance of sucking anything unless you have something speer through it which probably would have messed something up anyway.

Tell me of a failure from sucking something in please?

If your comparing hella flush to forward facing then your a tool. Its not a fad or else it wouldn't be catching on more and more. Fact is with fuels like ethanol the engine doesn't run as hot there requiring less cooling.

I'll take a moment to tell you the biggest benefit. The ability to get cooler air from the front of the car that hasn't been sucked inside from the hot engine bay is huge. You also get a great ram air effect. Being at 6000' getting the most and coldest air in as possible is essential as it means the turbo doesn't have to work as hard.

Your not a realist my friend your uneducated.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
Nobody runs a turbo with nothing on it, except maybe the drag strip. Most street cars run filters full time so there isn't a chance of sucking anything unless you have something spear through it which probably would have messed something up anyway.

Tell me of a failure from sucking something in please?

If you're comparing hella flush to forward facing then you're a tool. It's not a fad or else it wouldn't be catching on more and more. Fact is with fuels like ethanol the engine doesn't run as hot, therefore requiring less cooling.

I'll take a moment to tell you the biggest benefit: The ability to get cooler air from the front of the car that hasn't been sucked from inside the hot engine bay is huge. You also get a great ram air effect. Being at 6000 rpm (label your values correctly, RPM is not feet as you had it previously notated) getting the most and coldest air in as possible is essential as it means the turbo doesn't have to work as hard.

You're not a realist my friend, you're uneducated.
You just had your post corrected by someone "uneducated." Next time you're going to make a call like that, make sure the person you're calling out isn't ACTUALLY better than you at something so trivial as pressing a few buttons.

Ask me how many filters I saw on FF turbos at the All-Mitsu Cookout this year, and I'll give you a big fat zero. Fact is, not everybody runs filters on the street.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think reese tuning does some road racing with his evo and a ff kit i will not comment on the rest of the comments to the op i believe you will run into cooling problems with a half size cbrd would be who you would wanna talk to since they build custom rads and also do the type of racing you are looking to do.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

You just had your post corrected by someone "uneducated." Next time you're going to make a call like that, make sure the person you're calling out isn't ACTUALLY better than you at something so trivial as pressing a few buttons.

Ask me how many filters I saw on FF turbos at the All-Mitsu Cookout this year, and I'll give you a big fat zero. Fact is, not everybody runs filters on the street.
Im in colorado aka 6000' RETARD. There is more to reading then comprehending the post.

This is the internet, not everything need to look like a college essay. Your uneducated as in not knowing a thing about what technical benefits it provides and more of referencing it towards a wheel style.

Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrboost05
i think reese tuning does some road racing with his evo and a ff kit i will not comment on the rest of the comments to the op i believe you will run into cooling problems with a half size cbrd would be who you would wanna talk to since they build custom rads and also do the type of racing you are looking to do.
His car won the street? class at redline time attack a few years ago. His FF turbo made SICK power.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:33 PM

ok so let me just throw my question in here. Is it possible for me to run a turbo setup on my stock 2003 lancer es? or would i need to go for the forged pistons and a newer motor? basically i dnt have the money for an EVO and i love my lancer, just want something i can drive to work, but possibly tear *** on the street if i want...
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chronotrip21
ok so let me just throw my question in here. Is it possible for me to run a turbo setup on my stock 2003 lancer es? or would i need to go for the forged pistons and a newer motor? basically i dnt have the money for an EVO and i love my lancer, just want something i can drive to work, but possibly tear *** on the street if i want...
Save your money and buy an evo. Its cheaper in the long run. You can effectivly turbo anything thats stock.. its a matter of what you're going to break RUNNING it that way.

My .02 cents

Quick Reply: Road racing with a FF turbo setup, Can it be done?