Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Check my timing (pics)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by itsu
So Everything lined but perfect went to start the car, wouldnt start, looked at the timing and noticed the intake cam was off by two teeth, so i'm praying that I didnt bend the valves. I took everything apart, And now I cant get the cam gears lined up with the valve cover without using a wrench to pull them, it seems like there is some resistance. Should I pull the cam caps off, pull the cams out and try it again?
having to use a spanner to line them up is normal , no oil to mivec cam gear is the reason your timing was off .

Last edited by todd6027; Oct 30, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No oil? So what do I have to do? I noticed the gear had alot of slop, but now it doesnt, so its oiled now?

Last edited by itsu; Oct 30, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
yes once you tried to start it would have built up the pressure again there shouldnt be any slap in it .
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itsu
So Everything lined but perfect went to start the car, wouldnt start, looked at the timing and noticed the intake cam was off by two teeth, so i'm praying that I didnt bend the valves. I took everything apart, And now I cant get the cam gears lined up with the valve cover without using a wrench to pull them, it seems like there is some resistance. Should I pull the cam caps off, pull the cams out and try it again?
No reason to pull the cams out that I see

If you're talking about the "springyness" that the cams want to turn towards each other and need a wrench to hold the cam at one spot then that's normal because valve spring pressure is trying to turn the cam. But when you turn the cam individually with no belt they should have resistance and once you get off the cam lobe it should "spring" to a stop then repeat. I agree don't let someone tell you "oh it's good" Keep on repeating till you get it perfect, I'm sure the timing marks are off anyways and having them less than perfect might only make it worse unless you degree the cams. I think there was a thread on here too that when people degreed there cams there was many that was out of time (dots not in right spot from factory) and same thing with aftermarket cams, gears and such