Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Going for the drop-in build at English Racing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:20 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheides
Hell yes I totally support this.

ACT HDG6, screw everything else. Done

Or the ACT HDSS, ACT XTSS, or the Carbonetic Pro Blade - LOL. I just went though this decision process and settled on the XTSS, but there were no clear winners in my mind. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Dan (drb)
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
mrfred, sorry I didn't have the pistons.

Also a word to the wise, whatever you do, DO NOT PUT AN ACT in your EVO. Quickest way to ensure the trans is going to shift like crap is to put that junk in the car.

Get a good twin disc, like the Exedy.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my evo shifts fine with an act......
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Of course it does.....
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
My EVO shifts like **** with an ACT

Well above 7800 anyway
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
mrfred, sorry I didn't have the pistons.

Also a word to the wise, whatever you do, DO NOT PUT AN ACT in your EVO. Quickest way to ensure the trans is going to shift like crap is to put that junk in the car.

Get a good twin disc, like the Exedy.
Yeah, got your PM. Thanks for looking into it.

lol on the clutch. That stirred up some commentary. ACT is definitely off my list - Some people have had good experience, but there are just too many scary experiences posted on EvoM for me to take a chance that an ACT clutch won't destroy my gearbox. Besides, I'm too into the new ****. Probably will take a chance on the Blade Pro. Hopefully it will filly disengage and have reasonably low MOI. Its either that or the new QM 8-leg twin. Not excited about the latter because of the noise and unsprung disks. (Sure its an Evo, but I strive for good daily driveability.)

Last edited by mrfred; Oct 31, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:01 PM
drb
Evolving Member

I know that some people have lock out issues with the ACT clutches. I had the ACT HDSS and I now have the XTSS. I haven't had any lock out issues with either clutch (shifting at 7800 RPM), but I do have the SS braided clutch lines, shifter bushings, and solid motor mounts which all help prevent lock out.

I'm not saying that it is the best clutch for you, like I said above there doesn't seem to be any clear cut winners when it comes to EVO clutches at your/mine power level.
The Carbonetic Pro Blade definately has my attention but there isn't much good data on what this clutch will handle yet.

Last edited by drb; Oct 31, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by drb
I do have the SS braided clutch lines, shifter bushings, and solid motor mounts which all help prevent lock out.
Yea have all of the above except I only have the front roll stopper mount not the others. Clutch rod has been adjusted every way possible trust me.

Originally Posted by drb
The Carbonetic Pro Blade definately has my attention but there isn't much good data on what this clutch will handle yet.
I was actully just looking at it too
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I was such a huge fan of the ACT clutch, and it is great if you aren't going to really push your car, especially on shifts. But it failed me, killed my stock 6spd, and now I'm still waiting on shep to send me a new trans.

Right now theres a pro blade clutch system (its not just a pressure plate and clutch disk) sitting next to my car just waiting to go in. Can't wait to give it a proper test! Average years worth of abuse on my car includes: 35k miles DDing / long distance cruising, ~30 drag launches, ~15 road course days.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problems with my ACT HDSS on my 6 speed. Still on stock turbo and it shifts like butter. I guess I am a lucky one though. We will wait and see how it does with a larger turbo if I do so in the near future.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:48 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
I was such a huge fan of the ACT clutch, and it is great if you aren't going to really push your car, especially on shifts. But it failed me, killed my stock 6spd, and now I'm still waiting on shep to send me a new trans.

Right now theres a pro blade clutch system (its not just a pressure plate and clutch disk) sitting next to my car just waiting to go in. Can't wait to give it a proper test! Average years worth of abuse on my car includes: 35k miles DDing / long distance cruising, ~30 drag launches, ~15 road course days.
From everything that I heard about the Carbonetic Pro Blade it will do all of that well (DD, cruise, road race) except for possibly the 30 drag launches if you are making significant torque (maybe 400+). Good luck with it I think that it has great potential.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask Curt Brown about the pro blade, he'll tell you it's where its at folks.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I stopped by ER yesterday to see how things were going and had a chance to look at the port work on the cylinder head. Aaron and I had talked several times over the last the last year about porting the head, and Aaron had always mentioned "core shift" as one of the key items to address with a port job. I had understood that core shift was due to variability in the casting process and that it affects port shape, but I never bothered to really understand the nature of it until yesterday when Aaron showed me my cylinder head and said it was one of the worst cases of core shift that they had seen.

Based on what I saw, the Evo cylinder head is cast in a two piece mold with the interface between the halves creating upper and lower pieces. Core shift is a measure of how much the two halves are misaligned at the time of the casting. The misalignment can be shift and/or rotation. The interface cuts across all the ports, and when core shift occurs, a step is created in the port geometry. The interface is roughly 3/4" from from the valve seat right at the location where the port is turning to point into the cylinder, ... basically right at the location where core shift can really mess up flow.

Turns out that my cyl head was mostly rotated around one end of the cyl head, so there was almost no core shift on one side, but there was a full 1/8" core shift at the other end. That means there was a 1/8" step in all the ports at the core shifted end of the head. Luckily, they were able to remove the step, and get things looking pretty good. I imagine that if there is some interest, perhaps Aaron can post up a few examples of core shift.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
Of course it does.....

Typical.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I stopped by ER yesterday to see how things were going and had a chance to look at the port work on the cylinder head. Aaron and I had talked several times over the last the last year about porting the head, and Aaron had always mentioned "core shift" as one of the key items to address with a port job. I had understood that core shift was due to variability in the casting process and that it affects port shape, but I never bothered to really understand the nature of it until yesterday when Aaron showed me my cylinder head and said it was one of the worst cases of core shift that they had seen.

Based on what I saw, the Evo cylinder head is cast in a two piece mold with the interface between the halves creating upper and lower pieces. Core shift is a measure of how much the two halves are misaligned at the time of the casting. The misalignment can be shift and/or rotation. The interface cuts across all the ports, and when core shift occurs, a step is created in the port geometry. The interface is roughly 3/4" from from the valve seat right at the location where the port is turning to point into the cylinder, ... basically right at the location where core shift can really mess up flow.

Turns out that my cyl head was mostly rotated around one end of the cyl head, so there was almost no core shift on one side, but there was a full 1/8" core shift at the other end. That means there was a 1/8" step in all the ports at the core shifted end of the head. Luckily, they were able to remove the step, and get things looking pretty good. I imagine that if there is some interest, perhaps Aaron can post up a few examples of core shift.

That's pretty awesome! If I had means of transportation my engine would be at ER as well! Can't wait to see you build finished man!

Quick Reply: Going for the drop-in build at English Racing