Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Going for the drop-in build at English Racing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I stopped by ER yesterday to see how things were going and had a chance to look at the port work on the cylinder head. Aaron and I had talked several times over the last the last year about porting the head, and Aaron had always mentioned "core shift" as one of the key items to address with a port job. I had understood that core shift was due to variability in the casting process and that it affects port shape, but I never bothered to really understand the nature of it until yesterday when Aaron showed me my cylinder head and said it was one of the worst cases of core shift that they had seen.

Based on what I saw, the Evo cylinder head is cast in a two piece mold with the interface between the halves creating upper and lower pieces. Core shift is a measure of how much the two halves are misaligned at the time of the casting. The misalignment can be shift and/or rotation. The interface cuts across all the ports, and when core shift occurs, a step is created in the port geometry. The interface is roughly 3/4" from from the valve seat right at the location where the port is turning to point into the cylinder, ... basically right at the location where core shift can really mess up flow.

Turns out that my cyl head was mostly rotated around one end of the cyl head, so there was almost no core shift on one side, but there was a full 1/8" core shift at the other end. That means there was a 1/8" step in all the ports at the core shifted end of the head. Luckily, they were able to remove the step, and get things looking pretty good. I imagine that if there is some interest, perhaps Aaron can post up a few examples of core shift.
I did-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...head-tech.html

Originally Posted by Graphic
That's pretty awesome! If I had means of transportation my engine would be at ER as well! Can't wait to see you build finished man!
We tow cars all the time from Seattle to here.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I did-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...head-tech.html

We tow cars all the time from Seattle to here.

I know lol. It's just the block right now . I really like supporting you guys. I'll be down soon to return the help you guys continue to provide time and time again!!

If my block needs some work done, or I need a new bottom end, we'll be talking soon!

When is the next time are you guys coming up to Kent?

How much for head porting?

Last edited by Graphic; Nov 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Graphic
That's pretty awesome! If I had means of transportation my engine would be at ER as well! Can't wait to see you build finished man!
I shipped my engine (freight) from MA all the way across the country to have the guys at ER build my motor. DEFINITELY worth it

So if you have the means to pull the motor and ship it, I'd do it.

-Bink
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I was suspecting that you had. The head in those pics looks great compared to how the ports must have looked (prior to the port work) on the shifted side of my cyl head.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
I shipped my engine (freight) from MA all the way across the country to have the guys at ER build my motor. DEFINITELY worth it

So if you have the means to pull the motor and ship it, I'd do it.

-Bink
How much did it cost for shipping? I'm located about 6 hours drive there and back.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

I was suspecting that you had. The head in those pics looks great compared to how the ports must have looked (prior to the port work) on the shifted side of my cyl head.
I took some pictures of a cylinder head worse off than yours but that illustrates what we found. I'll get it up in a few.

Aaron
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

And this is after grinding on it for a bit already. Its not hard to see how bad some of these heads are and therefore why some stock cars make power than others. I've always joked that it was because one is a monday/friday car and one is a wednesday.

Aaron

Old Nov 8, 2011, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Is their a reasonable limit on wear before a drop in build is a viable option? My car has always been on pump and under 20lbs of boost but Im up at 55k miles and realistically will be at 65k (next winter) before Id start a build.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Its hard to say without pulling it apart and measuring. We have measured 100k mile 4G64 blocks with stock pistons and they are still at factory PTW without variation from what we can tell. That is only a 140bhp motor that probably doesnt get raped the way an Evo does.

I would presume your car would be okay but everything is open to variation of course.

Aaron
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Understandable, I just didnt know if it was completely out of the question or still an option. I may just go ahead and pull the motor next winter and do a full 2.3 build.

Cant wait to see some runs on the 2.3 vs 2.0 on the BBK-Full.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
any updates?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by vmrevo9
any updates?
Done. I picked it up Friday evening, and have been driving it and doing baseline street tuning this weekend. As usual, English Racing did a great job. Its amazing how good it feels. Off boost performance is as good or better than before. Absolutely no loss in low end from the MAP rev3 intake manifold and English Racing port job.

Performance on boost is definitely increased at the same WGDC settings. Its holding 1-2 more psi and load is significantly increased. The single Walbro is not keeping up any more. AFRs are drifting up into the high 12s at higher rpm and not coming down when I richen AFR in the fuel map, and pressure across the injectors is dropping into the high 30s (instead of the target 43 psi). FIC1100s are not yet tapped out. Current plan of action is to install a DW301 without a rewire and see whether that does the job. I'll be logging fuel pressure to measure the response of the pump. I meet with Lucas on Friday to do more tuning on English Racing's dyno. Can't wait to see what it can do.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that sounds great! cant wait to hear the results of the tune. good luck and have fun with the new found power
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's awesome, frederickson!!!

Can't wait to see the numbers!!!

-Jalal
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Done. I picked it up Friday evening, and have been driving it and doing baseline street tuning this weekend. As usual, English Racing did a great job. Its amazing how good it feels. Off boost performance is as good or better than before. Absolutely no loss in low end from the MAP rev3 intake manifold and English Racing port job.

Performance on boost is definitely increased at the same WGDC settings. Its holding 1-2 more psi and load is significantly increased. The single Walbro is not keeping up any more. AFRs are drifting up into the high 12s at higher rpm and not coming down when I richen AFR in the fuel map, and pressure across the injectors is dropping into the high 30s (instead of the target 43 psi). FIC1100s are not yet tapped out. Current plan of action is to install a DW301 without a rewire and see whether that does the job. I'll be logging fuel pressure to measure the response of the pump. I meet with Lucas on Friday to do more tuning on English Racing's dyno. Can't wait to see what it can do.
That's awesome. I'm looking into having a local performance shop do drop in's on my EVO. Let us know how that rewired DW301 does for you and if it overruns the stock FPR.

Dan (drb)

Quick Reply: Going for the drop-in build at English Racing