Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock turbo+cams vs. torque limited HTA green?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
ah didnt realize that...i would still need a core to send in tho, because i want to keep my stocker around. also keep in mind while your numbers are awesome you probably have 30whp on what i would get due to cams/SD.

thanks for the offer, im on all seasons now, so no more tuning this season unfortunately. without changing parts, i dont see there being too much left, as im already running 104% idc and dont want to go higher.

i just personally dont like pushing turbos to the limit, learned the hard way over the years with various expensive shaft failures pushing t25's to 25+ psi. i dont think i would ever do more than 25psi on a stocker, which will sure make more power, but i have a hard time believing id see 30 more tq, and that being said, the key is i want to HOLD power not just make a number, something the stocker just inherently cant do.
ya you would need to be in the upper 20's to get the numbers im saying.. around 30psi. i dont know what turbos you've been using but i never killed a td05 turbo as long as ive been tuning and ive done tons of them.. i always beat the **** out of the 16g's.. its not like a hybrid turbo.. it can take a crap ton of boost and be just fine.

a t25 is a turd though.. i can see 25psi killing a tiny garrett t25.

but something you just said that i wasn't aware of.. 104% idc.. if that's in evoscan its not as high as it claims but its still high enough to be cautious.. in that case id upgrade your injectors first thing.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just stick around a few more days. Tom is currently working with me on a pump gas tune on the hta green.

Last edited by tsidrift1; Nov 4, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Mmm good point I forget I have cams ..
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
ya you would need to be in the upper 20's to get the numbers im saying.. around 30psi.

but something you just said that i wasn't aware of.. 104% idc.. if that's in evoscan its not as high as it claims but its still high enough to be cautious.. in that case id upgrade your injectors first thing.
yeah thats what i figured boost wise. i know im not in danger yet with the idc deal, its not consistent 104% but im almost always 100%+ by 7000rpm, but yes its higher than id like right now. i have a set of fic 1050's waiting for the spring

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Just stick around a few more days. Tom is currently working with me on a pump gas tune on the hat green.
i thank you, but my wallet does not lol. atleast you dont have my exact setup haha. i have a feeling after working a 24hr shift this weekend in a daze im gonna pull the trigger on the green...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey bud you might want to check for a boost leak. 104% IDC seems kinda high if you're only running 19psi @ 7000. FWIW- I'm running about 23 psi @ 7000 and my IDCs are usually around 99-102%.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

boost leak is unlikely imho. i went through everything thoroughly back in the spring, unless im loosing a little out of the injector o rings. the perrin intake really flows A LOT, combined with the mivec map im running and hitting mid to high 260's load, everything looks in order too me.

104% is just the peak ive seen, but like i said, i typically hover around 100% as of 7k, but i havent looked at logs in like two weeks so. im gonna try one last map tomorrow if it gets warm enough, so ill know for sure.

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Nov 4, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
boost leak is unlikely imho. i went through everything thoroughly back in the spring, unless im loosing a little out of the injector o rings. the perrin intake really flows A LOT, combined with the mivec map im running, everything looks in order too me.

104% is just the pea ive seen, but like i said, i typically hover around 100% as of 7k, but i havent looked at logs in like two weeks so. im gonna try one last map tomorrow if it gets warm enough, so ill know for sure.
Yeah those boost leaks can sometimes pop up out of nowhere. I think these cars get attacked by boost leak gremlins at night sometimes The last time I had a boost leak the one thing that tipped me off to it was that my IDCs were higher than normal at redline. You and I have similar setups, the only difference is that you have Mivec and I don't. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes but all I know is that my VD numbers are around 365whp/365wtq and I'm running 4-5 more psi than you at 7K but I'm getting the same or lower IDCs.

What AFRs are you running at 7K? Maybe you could lean it out a little bit.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

last time i ran some logs, i did 361/340 when temps were in the low 40's on a 24psi peak (about half psi more than normal). i run 11.5's in the midrange and push down to 11.2ish above 6800 hence the idc jump.

i keep a road course mentality with the tune and all the plans in general for the car right now. the last thing i want to do is generate more heat than i need to.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

so to do some guessing...with a ported megan o2 housing and say 25psi, would a 15whp gain be a safe guess?

in driving around today in beautiful weather, the car was moving almost fast enough that u could surely get in a lot of trouble lol.

still no idea what to do...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in a similar position as you and decided to go with the green. The idea of maxing out the stock turbo didn't sit well with me.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look at how much each mod will cost and weigh the pros and cons from there. either way you're going to want to have the car re-tuned to maximize the effects of both cams and the green. you can rebuild the stock turbo for relatively cheap. I took a stock turbo and rebuilt it a little more durable and ran 28psi through it with no problems, but I also had 272 cams and other mods to help. just keep in mind what will have to be done after you do each mod to keep the car good for everyday driving.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrjarhead
look at how much each mod will cost and weigh the pros and cons from there. either way you're going to want to have the car re-tuned to maximize the effects of both cams and the green. you can rebuild the stock turbo for relatively cheap. I took a stock turbo and rebuilt it a little more durable and ran 28psi through it with no problems, but I also had 272 cams and other mods to help. just keep in mind what will have to be done after you do each mod to keep the car good for everyday driving.
the only real cost question mark will be when/if i need a clutch. im also close to the 60k service which will probably cost more than id like.

i do all my own tuning after i had a tuner blow up one of my old hondas on the dyno and after lots of arguing admit it was his fault...i just have an inherent distrust of tuners now...cuts some cost too.

i plan my modding around work vacations (or maybe vacations around modding? lol), the car will come out of storage in march, at which point i will probably put in fuel pump and injectors to get them dialed in and so i can do some suspension bits to be ready for track day season, and then my next vacation in june do a turbo swap.