Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No spark or injector firing after engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No spark or injector firing after engine swap.

I blew the motor in my 06 evo IX mr (I don't wanna talk about it) and swapped it for another stock engine, just lower milage. Now it's all put back together and shes not firing up. I've been following many of the other threads where guys had the same problem but alot of them never state what exactly their problem was. Here's what I've got.

Running pretty much stock. Only aftermarket is AEM dryflow intake, Megan's tubular exhaust manifold, Excedy Stage 2 clutch w/ lightweight flywheel, ShepTrans Stage 3 transfer case, turbo timer, manual boost controller.
I've never messed with any tuning.

I am getting fuel, but nothing from the injectors or plugs.

I checked all the connections to the CAS and CPS...good.
Fuses...good.
Battery...good.
Fuel pump...good.
Starter...good

No shorts, no missed connections....

I haven't checked the sensors themselves. Is there some sort of test to see if one of those have gone bad?

Could it be an ECU issue? My next step was going to be ECUflash and see what I can pull, if anything, from the computer. I have pretty much no experience as far as ECUs and electronic tuning goes so this is about to be a learning experience for me. Could the new engine effect the immobilizer?

I have also tried starting the car in "limp" mode (disconnect MAF) and still no luck.

Is there something I'm just overlooking? Did I forget to feed the MIVEC hamsters??
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Crank sensor will cause no injector pulse and spark. You could try to disable the immobilizer if you have ecuflash, but usually that's only a problem if you're changing ecu's i.e. swapping from evo 8 to 9 engine. Engine control fuse will do that too but you said fuses were good. Any check engine lights?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:32 AM

No check engine light. I'm going to order a new crank sensor today and start pulling everything off to access it. I used the one from the old engine because it WAS functioning at the time. Maybe when I blew the motor it screwed up the sensor somehow.

Is there a way to directly test the sensor itself without pulling off the lower timing belt cover? If I'm going to get that far I might as well swap it out with a new one anyway.

Thanks for the reply btw. It's getting way to cold to ride to dallas everyday and if I don't get my baby running soon, I'm going to be forced to buy some pos for the winter.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:59 PM

Sure enough. It was the crank sensor. Changed it out and she fired right up.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice to see you got it figured out..im in the same position spun a rod bearing and swapping motors out next week so I know how it is..just curious on what happened to your motor?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Nice! Glad you got her going, and I'm not sure if there's any way to test the sensor while on the car, I'd like to know too.